Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RRE with Halogen bulbs - vast improvement Nightbreakers
Montys4x4

RRE with Halogen bulbs - vast improvement Nightbreakers

Hi, I've read the threads on HID kits for the non xenon Evoques but thought I'd try the best of the Halogens. I went for the Osram Nightbreakers as eventually settled on these in our Touareg after wasting time with the Halfords brighter bulbs which popped after 6 months.
Results have been substantial, the beam now illuminates each verge and gives a longer footprint ahead. I've had no oncoming cars flash me as i get with my RRS with standard xenons occasionally.
The other mod. i've carried out is to fit Fr and rear mudlaps purchased from LR Duckworths at a very good price. Living and travelling in a rural area with the inclement weather these past two weeks these additions have really made a difference keeping the mud off the sides and rear apron.
I will add although the Evoque was acquired a few weeks ago to replace my wife's BMW 1 series M Sport, we are now fighting for the keys for the Evoque and my newer RRS SDV6 sat unused for the christmas period!

I will ask a question about tyres if I may, the LR Droitwich dealership put 2 new tyres (Pirelli no special 4x4 inscription though) on the car but it has the Continental 4x4 tyres on the back, the tread pattern is different and I wonder if anyone has any knowledge whether LR recommends same make/tread pattern 4x4 tyres on each corner.

+2 people loving the Evoque

Paul

Andrea and Paul

Ultimate Collection continues

Hers '2015 Dynamic SD4Auto Black Option Firenze and Santorini'
A year of good service and traded - Pure Tech Coupe SD4 Auto, Pano Orkney Grey

His ' 2012 FFRR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 Baltic Blue'
18 Months of little use and traded - '13' RRS SDV6 Autobiography Black (because we were driving the Evoque everywhere!)
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 02:11pm by Montys4x4.)
07-01-2014 02:07pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paisan

RE: RRE with Halogen bulbs - vast improvement Nightbreakers

Hmm yeah well...... Agreed the lighting is very good with Osram Nightbreakers but the longevity of the bulbs is poor. Have a look through the threads or Internet ... fair number of complaints and not just HB3's , also H7's ( Freelanders) .

I am on my 4th set in 21 months .

Its got to the stage where I keep a permanent spare set . Except , once the current set go I will change to a HID kit because buying Osram Nightbreaker or Ring Max bulbs every few months is an expensive exercise.

Its also annoying that both main and dipped beam are on the one bulb - in my previous Freelanders it was a bulb for each , so if main went I could quickly switch out the functioning high beam bulb.

Fortunatly the DRLs are so bright you can - in an emergency - keep driving with them .
07-01-2014 06:46pm
Montys4x4

(07-01-2014 06:46pm)paisan Wrote:  Hmm yeah well...... Agreed the lighting is very good with Osram Nightbreakers but the longevity of the bulbs is poor. Have a look through the threads or Internet ... fair number of complaints and not just HB3's , also H7's ( Freelanders) .

I am on my 4th set in 21 months .

Its got to the stage where I keep a permanent spare set . Except , once the current set go I will change to a HID kit because buying Osram Nightbreaker or Ring Max bulbs every few months is an expensive exercise.

Its also annoying that both main and dipped beam are on the one bulb - in my previous Freelanders it was a bulb for each , so if main went I could quickly switch out the functioning high beam bulb.

Fortunatly the DRLs are so bright you can - in an emergency - keep driving with them .

Thanks for your info I will carry the standard removed bulbs in the car in readiness for the first bulb to pop and then look at HID myself as the Evoque came with headlamp washers and self levelling (which led me to think the car had xenons initially!).

Paul

Andrea and Paul

Ultimate Collection continues

Hers '2015 Dynamic SD4Auto Black Option Firenze and Santorini'
A year of good service and traded - Pure Tech Coupe SD4 Auto, Pano Orkney Grey

His ' 2012 FFRR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 Baltic Blue'
18 Months of little use and traded - '13' RRS SDV6 Autobiography Black (because we were driving the Evoque everywhere!)
08-01-2014 01:58pm
pacemaker1000

As a matter of interest how do these bulbs compare alongside the white DRL's?
After initially wanting these I went for the Philips ultimate Xenons for a better visual match. After sending the wrong fittings, h3, I should get and fit later in the week and report ack
13-01-2014 01:29am
Bugblatter

As a new Evoque owner, I don't know what bulbs it takes and if there are separate bulbs for main beam. Also, is it easy to swap bulbs?

I had a Freelander which was easy peasy to change bulbs.

2017 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech Auto Firenze Red .
13-01-2014 09:19pm
pacemaker1000

(13-01-2014 09:19pm)Bugblatter Wrote:  As a new Evoque owner, I don't know what bulbs it takes and if there are separate bulbs for main beam. Also, is it easy to swap bulbs?

I had a Freelander which was easy peasy to change bulbs.

It takes HB3 bulbs and there is only one bulb each side with a mechanical 'dip' operation

Not straight forwards to change as you have to loosen the grill an unbolt the lights and slide the unit forward fr access to the bulb chamber

Will take pics of process and results tomorrow
14-01-2014 12:15am
Bugblatter

(14-01-2014 12:15am)pacemaker1000 Wrote:  It takes HB3 bulbs and there is only one bulb each side with a mechanical 'dip' operation

Not straight forwards to change as you have to loosen the grill an unbolt the lights and slide the unit forward fr access to the bulb chamber

Will take pics of process and results tomorrow

Thanks. Found a vid on Youtube. Looks tricky!

2017 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech Auto Firenze Red .
14-01-2014 12:52am
Red FR

(14-01-2014 12:52am)Bugblatter Wrote:  Thanks. Found a vid on Youtube. Looks tricky!

Hi
Drivers side is easy in situ, you dont have to remove the grill for the passenger side, just undo top bolts on lamp unit after first marking in pencil around the plastic lugs to make sure you put back in same place. Then gently move the lamp unit forward following instructions in manual this gives you more room to work with then replace in reverse half hour job in all. When replacing make sure you match the marks you made to get correct alignment again, although they always say to get checked when changing bulbs. If was up in Addingham in the near future I would have helped you but not coming back up for a few weeks yet.

Gone but not forgotten Fuji White Coupe Pure Tech SD4 manual, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, fog lamps and spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 01:26pm by Red FR.)
14-01-2014 01:24pm
pacemaker1000

The top bolts are permanent fixings and fit in a grove. Good idea but not necessary to mark them. The green coloured heads are the adjusters. Just thought I would mention in case it put people off.

As you have to remove the grill bolts I would also recommend removing the whole grill as it just pulls off easily and gives better access to pull the lights forward and avoid scratching the paintwork. To be doubly safe I stuck some duct tape to the bumper in front of the lights as they do come into contact.
Oh and the windscreen washer top up tube just pulls up and off too.

Sounds complicated but it is all about making the job easier and pain free. As already said it doesn't take long, max 30 mins

And it should go without saying that you never touch the bulbs themselves. If you can wear gloves as it will shortest bulb life
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 04:27pm by pacemaker1000.)
14-01-2014 03:54pm
Red FR

Sorry I should have said the black bolts on top of the unit not green ones.

Gone but not forgotten Fuji White Coupe Pure Tech SD4 manual, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, fog lamps and spare wheel.
14-01-2014 04:26pm