Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Push button start question
Alex

RE: Push button start question

(23-05-2011 07:01pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  
(22-05-2011 10:38pm)Alex Wrote:  With our Ford (key less entry/start) when we park the car on our drive and parked near the front door - if I have left the car keys in my coat hanging inside the house on the coat stand the sensor is strong enough to open the boot (this is because we have to reverse our car in and boot is always about a few feet from the door entrance).

So in terms if security I always have to remember to leave the key a good distance from the vehicle.

Another problem with keyless start has been either me or my wife accidentally stranding each other if one of us has had the keys in our pocket and being dropped off somewhere leaving the other one in the vehicle without a key - basically you just can't turn the engine off otherwise it will not start if it can't sense the key.

This happened to me and my wife with our Kuga. I had the key in my pocket, wife was driving and just pushed to button to start as usual. I got out in a hurry and she pulled away.... I had the key in my pocket still. To be fair, the dash does tell you that 'key is not detected', too late though, I was on the train and away.....

I know as mentioned same with me, but my wife said the message is only indicated on the Kuga's centre message area with low audible alarm. This was blanketed out by the stereo playing.
Designers at Ford should have put more thought into these scenarios maybe a vocal audible sound in the car instructing the driver key is no longer present or some other actions happening in the vehicle to make it more obvious.

I had to get a taxi out to meet her at her stranded location. I admit its our fault but none the less I think to many mistakes can happen.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
23-05-2011 07:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kermit

(23-05-2011 07:01pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  This happened to me and my wife with our Kuga. I had the key in my pocket, wife was driving and just pushed to button to start as usual. I got out in a hurry and she pulled away.... I had the key in my pocket still. To be fair, the dash does tell you that 'key is not detected', too late though, I was on the train and away.....

Laughing Isn't technology wonderful. Rolling Eyes Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Is it really that hard to start a car by inserting the key!!!
24-05-2011 12:31am
LRX
Banned

In the event of a crash, it is a lot safer to not have a bunch of sharp metal keys dangling from the steering column for you knees/chest to slam into.

Plus it removes the risk of someone reaching in an open window when you're at traffic lights and knicking them.
24-05-2011 07:45am
Kermit

(24-05-2011 07:45am)LRX Wrote:  In the event of a crash, it is a lot safer to not have a bunch of sharp metal keys dangling from the steering column for you knees/chest to slam into.

Lots of manufactures have moved away from using the ignition key in the steering column.

(24-05-2011 07:45am)LRX Wrote:  Plus it removes the risk of someone reaching in an open window when you're at traffic lights and knicking them.

Is that really a problem over there?
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2011 12:59am by Kermit.)
25-05-2011 12:58am
Alex

I have never heard of someone reaching in to pinch your keys from and open window of the car, obviously if you left them in an empty car with window down in the steering column then that may attract people walking by.

But these days when it's hot and with aircon, plus traffic noise etc, I dont think many people drive with their windows down regardless.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
25-05-2011 07:04am
DrBonz

I have a question concerning the keyless start button. I have been told that the Evoque will still start (by hitting the push button) even if the key fob is NOT anywhere near the car, but the car/engine disables itself (i.e. engine shuts off, all electronic functions cease) after a few seconds as an anti theft function. Is this true? If so, this doesn't seem to make sense to me. Wouldn't it be better if the car simply wouldn't start at all without the fob? Thanks!

2013 Evoque Coupe. Pure Plus. Fuji White. All Ebony Interior. Climate Comfort Pack. Pure Premium Pack. XM radio. Nuff Said
04-07-2013 05:37pm
m_101

Necrothread!
Anyway DrBonz - it won't start if the key fob isn't near / inside the car. However if you do start it, then move the key out of range, it doesn't seem to stop automatically... weird.
HTH

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
04-07-2013 06:11pm
RacingSnake

As above on both counts - VERY old thread!, but it will not start without the key inside the car (not near, but inside).
It will not stop if the key moves away as some form of safety thing - there is another thread on this itself.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
04-07-2013 06:40pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrBonz

Sorry about resurrecting this old thread from the dead. I didn't check the dates. My bad. Can you please direct me to the thread in question?

2013 Evoque Coupe. Pure Plus. Fuji White. All Ebony Interior. Climate Comfort Pack. Pure Premium Pack. XM radio. Nuff Said
05-07-2013 01:19pm
RacingSnake

there is one here: http://babyrr.com/forum/thread-2794.html

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
05-07-2013 02:42pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply