Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Removing Tow Bar
Jdlsandy

Removing Tow Bar

Hello there Smile

Just picked up an 18 month old evoque with a factory fitted towbar which we want to take off. LR quoted £800 to remove and replace the bumper but having had a look myself it just looks like its the one bit of trim around the towbar that would need to be replaced and I think I can remove the towbar. Does anyone know how I can get hold of the light grey trim piece/ part number etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been on a BMW forum for years so just finding my way through here. Apologies if the answer is plastered somewhere obvious.

Thanks
13-07-2015 02:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
recordman

RE: Removing Tow Bar

Welcome Jdlsandy.

It might be model dependent (Pure, Prestige or Dynamic), but in my case (Prestige) the panel with the cut-out is not a separate component. It is a part of the panel that makes up the entire rear bumper. The cost of replacing that would be quite significant. Additionally, it would need to be painted.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
13-07-2015 02:40pm
Jdlsandy

(13-07-2015 02:40pm)recordman Wrote:  Welcome Jdlsandy.

It might be model dependent (Pure, Prestige or Dynamic), but in my case (Prestige) the panel with the cut-out is not a separate component. It is a part of the panel that makes up the entire rear bumper. The cost of replacing that would be quite significant. Additionally, it would need to be painted.

Ah, ok yes this is a Prestige so it will be the same. I just want to get rid of it!
13-07-2015 03:15pm
MrNoo

To fit the tow bar you have to remove the rear bumper so I presume to remove the tow bar you'll have to remove the bumper also.
As recordman says the bumper is one piece so you can't just replace the bit where the cut out is.
I suppose you could always remove the tow bar and live with the cut out in the bumper. You'll probably also get quite good money for the used tow bar on fleabay

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
13-07-2015 09:59pm
jph

Removing Tow Bar

You will have to remove the entire bumper to get the tow bar out. I know because I installed mine myself. There are videos on YouTube on how to do it. eBay has some stainless steel panels that would hide the cutout.
Cheers
John
17-07-2015 01:15pm