Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Powered Tailgate Sagging
Tim_C

Powered Tailgate Sagging

Picking up my 2012 Dynamic Lux and have noticed that the powered tailgate struts are sagging by a few inches. The boot opens fine to it's full extent but then drops back down a few inches, perfect head level!!

Can the struts be re-gassed or adjusted in anyway?
06-08-2017 07:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Powered Tailgate Sagging

(06-08-2017 07:57pm)Tim_C Wrote:  Picking up my 2012 Dynamic Lux and have noticed that the powered tailgate struts are sagging by a few inches. The boot opens fine to it's full extent but then drops back down a few inches, perfect head level!!

Can the struts be re-gassed or adjusted in anyway?

Open the tailgate, adjust it by hand to the height you want, hold the tailgate close button for 10 seconds. Close tailgate.

* Or something similar to that - it will be in the book somewhere.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
07-08-2017 10:19am
Pete

This doesn't sound right for the custom opening level - it's there to prevent the tailgate from rising too far and hitting your garage roof (or whatever the low ceiling is).

Rising to the full height before dropping is wrong. It's broken.

Having said that, resetting the custom rise height might clear a potential computer glitch (I don't think it will, but it's only 20 seconds out of your life to check).

Porsche Macan
08-08-2017 07:20am
Tim_C

Yeah it's not the height setting, that was the first thing I tried, it raises to the correct level but then sags down a couple of inches. The struts themselves look not to be strong enough to hold it open properly, spoke to a company that regasses them and they can't do this type unfortunately.
08-08-2017 09:16am
grommit

(08-08-2017 09:16am)Tim_C Wrote:  Yeah it's not the height setting, that was the first thing I tried, it raises to the correct level but then sags down a couple of inches. The struts themselves look not to be strong enough to hold it open properly, spoke to a company that regasses them and they can't do this type unfortunately.

Tim these use a motor in the struts not gas, see picture if it will upload
.jpg  Powered TailGate.JPG (Size: 142.34 KB / Downloads: 27)
09-08-2017 09:36am
Tim_C

(09-08-2017 09:36am)grommit Wrote:  Tim these use a motor in the struts not gas, see picture if it will upload

Are they not supplemented with gas? Thought they were both, either way seems there is no adjustment that can be made...
09-08-2017 09:57am
grommit

(09-08-2017 09:57am)Tim_C Wrote:  Are they not supplemented with gas? Thought they were both, either way seems there is no adjustment that can be made...
Might be the springs have lost there spring LOL
09-08-2017 10:53am
Andy131

Reading the picture from Grommet, it does say that if the units notices an obstruction in either direction, that it reverses direction for a short period.
Is it possible that one of the units is coming to the end of its stroke before the other, and the control unit sees this as an obstruction and reverses them both?
Or are they both seeing the end of stroke as an obstruction?
Did this always happen or is it a new "feature"?

Sorry I can't help further as this isn't an option on my car.
10-08-2017 01:07pm
PhilSkill

I've heard of this before a few months ago, and my guess is either the hall effect sensor is getting weak causing the motor to turn too many times, going to top and then coming down again before stopping (thinking it's at the top) or reaching the end and triggering the object detection, or the motor is getting weak thinking there is an obstruction, Based on that I assume but unfortunately don't know for sure if the answer is to replace the struts.

If you set the height for the tailgate quite low, it might then stop before reaching the top if this was the case so that might be worth a try... or if it still always goes to the top then the sensor in the strut must be faulty (or a possible wiring fault).

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-08-2017 05:25pm
grommit

Is it the same if you set it at say half way up?. do the hinges need a bit of oil it might think theres an object there due to resistance, or you could disconnect the supply to the power control module when the door is open, reconnect and manually close the door to recalibrate it.
10-08-2017 09:45pm