Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Power Upgrade - Plug-n-Play
Ajgriffin

Power Upgrade - Plug-n-Play

Has anyone tried this performance upgrade? I don't have the discretionary funds for it until, maybe after April 15ths tax refund, and I searched the posts in this forum but didn't see any mention of it.

Note the engine stats they claim.

[Image: pure-evoque-power-upgrade-plug-in.PNG]

It looks easy? One year warranty and wiring harness included. Just looking for feedback.

http://www.pureevoque.com/performance-c-...p-424.html

(This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 05:58pm by Ajgriffin.)
14-02-2017 05:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Koidream

RE: Power Upgrade - Plug-n-Play

This kind of tuning is like anabolica for mankind. It works but at the end it hurts!

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
14-02-2017 07:14pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think many people are too frightened to loose their mechanical warranty to use these devices these days. ECU's are mapped to comply with ever stricter emissions rules and while some countries pay lip service to air pollution from cars or are about to relax their rules (thank you ignorant Mr Trump........... for trying to destroy our world by non nuclear means) there are places like Europe where the emissions rules are getting tighter and tighter and where there are moves afoot to ban cars over certain ages and diesel engined cars from cities. For years we were told we had to buy less polluting diesels because gasoline engines killed the trees, now we are being told that we have to have Hybrids, EV's or ZEV's because they don't emit noxious fumes (well at least they don't emit them from a tailpipe but in vast quantities from power stations instead!). Chipping/ remapping engines might boost power but they inevitably compromise emissions rules too. There is also the small matter of the fine tolerances to which engine parts are made these days, altering makers ECU settings can lead to early component failure and none of the remap/chip makers offer any sort of warranty against the damage their "upgrades" make to your car's engine and transmission.
Even Land Rover in their wisdom use a ZF gear box in RRS that is rated for a maximum 700Nm of torque - my RRS produces exactly 700Nm torque so adding a chip that boosts performance is overloading the design parameter of the ZF gearbox. I think if you look at the technical spec for the 6 speed Aisin auto it is also very close to the max torque it was designed to handle......... I don't know about the ZF 9 Speed

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2017 09:46am by XFullFatTim.)
15-02-2017 09:33am
syl

(15-02-2017 09:33am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Even Land Rover in their wisdom use a ZF gear box in RRS that is rated for a maximum 700Nm of torque - my RRS produces exactly 700Nm torque so adding a chip that boosts performance is overloading the design parameter of the ZF gearbox. I think if you look at the technical spec for the 6 speed Aisin auto it is also very close to the max torque it was designed to handle......... I don't know about the ZF 9 Speed

The 4.4 has 740Nm - is that over the design limit for the gearbox?

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
15-02-2017 06:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I don't know if the 4.4 has the same gearbox.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-02-2017 12:39pm
benzina

Where does this device actually plug in to? Is it also for the 6-speeder?

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 17-02-2017 04:58am by benzina.)
17-02-2017 04:57am
RogB

i wouldn't have thought that any vehicle manufacturer would use a gearbox rated to handle the exact torque etc of the engine. Surely they would allow a buffer so the gearbox had enough tolerance to handle the torque comfortably.

IIRC the Freelander 2 auto box could handle a good bit more torque than the standard TD4 and SD4 gave out.

With the TD4 able to take and extra 40bhp & 20-30 lb/ft and the SD4 able to take similar.

Im thinking about getting my SD4 manual sensibly remapped, as it will improve economy, driveablity and yes be a little more powerful.

at the end of the day all cars are mass produced, the components are mass produced, and everything is tailored around a generic market.

Alive tuning are reputed to be very good at remapping Land/Range Rovers, and their local LR dealership apparently is happy to honour any LR warranty after Alive have remapped.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
17-02-2017 11:58am
wheels

Figures are often exaggeratet. Bought a chip from Dieselkraft wich was supposed to give around 50hp because of higher boost as well. Had the car checked at a rolling dyno and the car produced 210hp. A 20hp increase. So I sent it back. I think 90% of the people buying these things dont check
17-02-2017 01:06pm
RogB

I had an Insignia 2.0Cdti remapped by a reputable guy local to me, and the difference was astounding.
MPG was increased by 10mpg without even trying, and the car pull smoothly. It produced more torque and yes more power, but not enough to make it a super car off the lights. But because of the smoothness of delivery through out the gears/rev range it just felt a lot quicker.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
17-02-2017 02:17pm
efbiaye

Hi guys, long time reader here but first time poster Smile

Since I chipped my 3 year old Evoque TD4 (manual) about 6 months ago I've decided to share my specs with you.

I was considering using a plug-n-play box, but after reading for quite some time about it in terms of potential problems that users had with those, and in most cases below the average customer support of different box manufacturers I decided to go for a dedicated chip tuning service.

In the end I've done it at one of the best tuning shops in Poland (pachura.pl). Excellent support, experience with tuning Land Rovers, warranty and the price was even better than using most popular boxes. Additionally they back up the original engine mapping just in case someone decides to service the car at authorized shop and wants to avoid warranty issues.

Anyways, here are the measurements taken before and after the car was tuned. I translated the key fields. Measurements were based on average 3 runs:

Stock performance
Tuned performance

And few pictures from the test run itself.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Pachura.Moto...6780328636

Since the engine is physically the same unit as in SD4 (TD4 has a different ECU mapping) the newly applied mapping was really very efficient 220 bhp @ 457 Nm vs stock 158 bhp @ 402 Nm. The gearbox is manual so the only concern was to keep the torque in the safe zone (lower than 500 Nm) in order not to cause unnecessary clutch stress. The stock air filter was changed to KNF.

I've done about 10K km since and really couldn't be any happier with it. The gas pedal response is excellent. Once the RPM hit 2100-2200 magic begins Smile Acceleration is excellent up until about 160 km/h which is enough for most real life cases.

The car is mainly used by my wife and she couldn't believe the performance change was so noticeable. I did not tell her about the tuning at first, but after a few days she had asked me if I've done anything to the car as it seemed so much "snappier" to her.

Neither of us is an aggressive driver but taking over is now a treat. Not that it wasn't before but it simply takes less time and feels safer.
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 03:57am by efbiaye.)
22-02-2017 03:56am