Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Power Loss
Stilolos

RE: Power Loss

I didn't even think about that! Unfortunately I didn't take it out with my aftermarket warranty. I just hope in the mean time it doesn't happen when I need to pull out of a junction. Not so bad if it happens at a green light, that just looks like I'm a learner driver on the biting point of the clutch lol. There are a few places however on my route that I need a burst of acceleration to maneuveur. It's these moments that are scary and sometimes I hesitate when I know there's a gap to pull out but I decide to wait till I know it's perfectly clear and that if it misbehaves, there's enough time for it to recover. So dissapointed.
16-11-2018 04:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stilolos

So ive had my car into Farnell Bolton and to be honest, the whole experience was a bit disappointing. The dealership and facilities look amazing but the staff and customer service are not the most welcoming.

Anyways, I booked my vehicle in for a diagnostic check to see if they could find the fault. The guy serving me was like, if we cannot find a fault then we have to charge you. WTF. How stupid can you be? If my car was fine then why the F would I be here for you to run a diagnostics and charge me? At the same time, my vehicle also had a rear door lock malfunction and I told him as well and he said the same thing. As the door panel would need to be removed, if they did not find a fault then I would be charged again. FFS. The door is not unlocking so obviously it’s F’ed.

Anyhow, the door lock was replaced but surprise surprise, they did not find a fault. They did however identify a software update which they did free of charge but said it’s normally chargeable. Since then, I’ve noticed the car stutter a tiny bit on occasions but it may just be learning itself.

The loaner car they gave me was a Beautiful Jag XF 3.0d sport with 250 miles on the clock. However their policy has changed which left me just a bit more pissed off with the whole experience. Usually they give you a choice to pay a small waiver fee (17.99) to write off the excess in the event of an accident or just sign that you will pay the full excess if you have an accident. Now they will not give you a loaner car without paying the waiver. The guys excuse was that people were damaging their cars but then not paying up. Like I give a toss. Also they usually let me have the vehicle overnight because my I finish late and cannot get the car back on time. NOPE. Vehicle has to be returned the same day. And the final thing that really annoyed me, he told me to replace the fuel I used. I’ve had many loaner cars from LR and I have never been asked to replace fuel. Nor do I expect to have to.

As much as I loved this car, I can’t wait to get rid. The ownership experience has declined and the niggles have started to set in. They even had the cheek to try and charge me for the work carried out yet I pay for the extended warranty.

Rant over.
08-12-2018 12:40am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Do you really expect a dealer to lend you a car AND give you free fuel for it as well? I recently had a loaner from BMW with about as much fuel in the tank as was required to get it to their filling station forecourt.......... now that really p*sses me off. My experience with most JLR dealers though is that there is usually about ¼ tank of fuel and I have been asked to replace whatever fuel I have used. Being a reasonable sort of person I always have done. While my Countryman was having a software update recently I was offered a free loaner and the instruction was “please don’t put more than 5 litres of fuel in the tank as this car does 110mpg and you are getting it with its HV battery fully charged!” - it was a PHEV like my own car and had enough electric range to get me home to recharge it for the trip back when they said that my car was ready for collection. Petrol used = nil, cost of a top up of electricity at home - about 60p

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2018 11:18am by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2018 11:03am
Stilolos

I understand your point of view however i still feel it’s a let down overall. If I didn’t need the loaner car then my vehicle could of been seen to in less than 2 weeks. I need a daily driver for work purposes which is why I needed the loaner car. I had to wait over a month to book their car. In that time, the fault with my vehicle happened multiple times and even happened 3 times on one short trip. Pressing the gas pedal and the car not accelerating when needed is down right dangerous and could of caused me an accident.

Farnell Bury recently moved to Bolton which is just over 2 miles from my workplace. I drove their car to my work then returned it in the evening. Max 5 miles overall. How can I replace 5 miles of fuel? The Jag also had over half a tank so not like it was running on fumes.

A hybrid for my next vehicle sounds logical and I kind of like the new Lexus RX however I read in a review the boot is even smaller than the evoque because of all the batteries. I need a bigger car and bigger boot so I guess that’s ruled out.
10-12-2018 02:05am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It is very expensive, but ask your local friendly JLR dealers for test drives of the RRS p400E Plug in Hybrid but make sure that they give you a whole weekend loan, a couple of hours isn’t long enough to see if a Hybrid or BEV will suit your needs. It is also worth doing the same for a Jaguar IPace, if they in your budget. Also my experience with a petrol hybrid is that for the motoring I now do I could have gone straight to a fully electric car as the vast majority of my miles are now journies that are 30-40 miles round trip and I also have a very generous government here in Scotland that not only gives you free high speed charging in public car parks but for PHEV and BEV owners parking is free.......... one warning though, the Govt Official electric consumption and petrol consumption is as misleading as it is for normal cars. My Countryman is officially tested as having a 26 miles electric range, these cold days i’m lucky to get 18 miles range but in the mornings (or when I chose to activate the standard park heating/cooling) I go out to a toasty warm, fully defrosted car ready to drive away if I remember to set the park heat - which will only operate if the car is plugged into mains or a charger. On a standard 13amp socket the car takes 3 hours to recharge from flat but on a public high speed charger it only takes 40 minutes.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 10:31am by XFullFatTim.)
10-12-2018 10:30am
Stilolos

(10-12-2018 10:30am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It is very expensive, but ask your local friendly JLR dealers for test drives of the RRS p400E Plug in Hybrid but make sure that they give you a whole weekend loan, a couple of hours isn’t long enough to see if a Hybrid or BEV will suit your needs. It is also worth doing the same for a Jaguar IPace, if they in your budget. Also my experience with a petrol hybrid is that for the motoring I now do I could have gone straight to a fully electric car as the vast majority of my miles are now journies that are 30-40 miles round trip and I also have a very generous government here in Scotland that not only gives you free high speed charging in public car parks but for PHEV and BEV owners parking is free.......... one warning though, the Govt Official electric consumption and petrol consumption is as misleading as it is for normal cars. My Countryman is officially tested as having a 26 miles electric range, these cold days i’m lucky to get 18 miles range but in the mornings (or when I chose to activate the standard park heating/cooling) I go out to a toasty warm, fully defrosted car ready to drive away if I remember to set the park heat - which will only operate if the car is plugged into mains or a charger. On a standard 13amp socket the car takes 3 hours to recharge from flat but on a public high speed charger it only takes 40 minutes.

Thanks for the info but I think those vehicles are out of my range. Also I feel the need to move on from JLR and go German. My wife has taken a liking to the BMW X6. Complete marmite car. Absolutey hated it at first but the more I see them on the road, the more I like them. Will defo have to be at least the 40d m sport or perhaps the bonkers m50d.

Also on a different note, after a full fill up with diesel, the projected range is about 320-330 miles. My last fill up shows an estimated range of 440 miles! Maybe the software update have suddenly made the car more economical. I reset the trip to keep a record and see how much I actually get. Average mpg is still about 25-27 so the same as before.
14-12-2018 01:16am
Stilolos

So my car has taken it up a notch. I now have the red triangle, engine warning light and restricted performance. It first happened on my way back from Manchester airport to bury. Cruising at 75mph and suddenly I get the warning. I didn’t know what to make of it but I slowed down and then tried the throttle. The car down changed but the rpm maxed out at 2500 and it slowed the vehicle down even more. Gently pressing the throttle allowed me to maintain speed.

Got home and turned off the engine and gave it a rest for a bit. Restarted and all was fine so I went for a quick blast and it seemed ok again. Then I went for a meal in Manchester and it happened again but it must of been like 20 mins into the journey. After the meal, it seemed fine again but after a short while it happened again.

This morning just as I was about to hit the motorway slip road it happened as well as the engine warning light. It felt like I was crawling up the motorway as I could only gently accelerate as a prod of the throttle shot the revs up but then slowed the car down like engine braking. The engine warning light is now constantly on but I only get the red triangle after a few mins.

The car is my daily driver so unfortunately I still have to drive it. Luckily got it booked in for Wednesday but if I wanted a courtesy car (which I do) then I would have to wait till mid March!

I think the car knows I am going to replace it soon as I’ve already been scouring auto trader and have seen quite a few cars I like...
19-02-2019 12:44am
Stilolos

After 2 days it has been diagnosed as a faulty egr and also needs new coolant. Stupid thing is, they have had to take pictures and send to land rover to confirm if warranty will cover the repair costs. WTF. I pay for full extended warranty so it takes the piss that they have to ask first if it's actually covered. Also they ALWAYS tell me my warranty has expired when I bring my vehicle in. FFS update your system, I've been in enough times so they should know I have extra warranty.

On a different note they have discovered that my gearbox shifts very harshly in reverse so they're gonna try some sort of flush. If not then it's a new gearbox too! I know I ain't paying for that.

As big as they are (Bolton JLR), they have no loaner cars for over 3 weeks. Just shows you how many people have to book their cars in for whatever. So disappointing.

No car for 3 days. So far. Thank fcuk for family.
21-02-2019 07:13pm