Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Porsche Macan is coming
mark_n

Porsche Macan is coming

Just back from a visit to the Porsche plant in Leipzig which is where the new Macan will be built. Currently it builds the Cayenne and the Panamera though significant work is done elsewhere. The Panamera body is made in VW Hannover and most of the Cayenne is made in Bratislava.

It's clear they are building up for significant volume - a new body plant will double the space and they expect to make 40-50000 Macan's a year.

Engine options are likely to range from the VW 2.0 diesels to the existing Porsche 3.0 V6. However you look at it, the Macan will provide serious competition to the Evoque. The Cayenne leaves me cold but it's lower cost than the FFRR; the high-end Evoques are likely to be under pressure from the Macan but of course, low-end Porsches are poorly equipped as standard.

I'm really hoping for a leading response from LR... we so badly need an Evoque with some real oomph.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-10-2012 07:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

RE: Porsche Macan is coming

Personally I don't think it will hit LR hard, that thing they call a 4wd hasn't dented the FFRR sales. To many have tried and failed to take the top spot from LR.

Just my tuppence worth.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
18-10-2012 07:52pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Cayenne is not a competitor to the FFRR, it is direct competition for the RRSport. FFRR doesn't really have any serious SUV competition, it's competitors are the very high end saloons like S Class Mercs, the VW Mulsanne/GTC etc/ and the BMW Royce. Personnally I doubt the Baby Porsche SUV will be a lot of competition to the Evoque, yes it will steal a customer or two, but I don't believe the customers/ market they are aiming at are same. It will be too pricey and sporty for the family man and the inspirational young professionals will find it too costly to insure because it has the word Porsche on the nose

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 10:19pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-10-2012 10:15pm
RacingSnake

(18-10-2012 10:15pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It will be too pricey and sporty for the family man and the inspirational young professionals will find it too costly to insure because it has the word Porsche on the nose
If I (just for one moment) don my snob hat - I would much rather own a Range Rover than a Porsche.
IMO (and entirely MO) porsche are heading rapidly into BMW M3 territory in terms of their owners - (these are the guys that grew up from the saxo's and xr3i's Twisted Evil )

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 10:21am by RacingSnake.)
19-10-2012 10:20am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evoquemayne

"Cayenne is not a competitor to the FFRR, it is direct competition for the RRSport."

Yes and No.

I had this argument for hours and I was on your side. But, the point has to be made that those people who are looking at a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S are most probably considering a FFRR not an RRS. (when considering buying a Marquee Mid/Large SUV.)
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 03:14am by evoquemayne.)
21-10-2012 03:14am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I suppose at Turbo/Turbo S prices it is a competitor on price but even a 5.0S/C I wouldn't consider a competitor for them, it is a high rise 4WD limo that can go quite fast but it is not an SUV race car. One thing people don't buy a Cayenne specifically for is its off-road capability (although I have seen one off-road and they are very very competent with a very complex system of locking diffs)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 09:45am by XFullFatTim.)
21-10-2012 09:42am