Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Poor Shifting from 1st to 2nd
michail1

RE: Poor Shifting from 1st to 2nd

(17-09-2015 03:28pm)borbor1313 Wrote:  You say the tachometer doesn't drop after the first gear change but continues to clinb to 3200 . Doesn't this suggest that it hasn't actually up changed to the next gear (as there must be a drop in revs with a bigger gear. )so Don't know what your car must be doing at this point in time to make you feel it has changed gears. . My only thought is that if it is somehow changing out of first , and then back into first again(instead of second gear). This would explain why there is no drop in revs at this point.
Also the evoque will always up change before 3000 if in auto mode . exceptions being if in command mode and starting off in first gear or in sports mode with hard acceleration . so maybe you are right in your original assumption that your car is defaulting to 1st gear when stationary.
Not sure how to go about fixing this if factory won't acknowledge it. Have you consider flashing the Ecu with a tune?? Don't know if it will make a difference as not sure if it affects gear change points but bluefin have a 2 week trial period and if no good you can return . Ultimately though it's more likely a gearbox issue

I am saying that...
When a car shifts from 1st to second, the process is that the car will let off the gas, go out of gear, then into the next gear, and then resume fuel. This happens normally in a split second. But, with my car, it goes out of gear first. So, engine actually speeds up, then let's off the fuel, and then into the next gear. In my case, the tach goes up quickly by 100-300 RPMS before it makes the move into the next gear.

All this said, I have taken my car bar to LR four times for this issue. (A 5th time last week for a diff issue.) On my last visit for this issue, they finally admitted to a problem with the car. In fact, they said there is several updates for the shifting issue. Finally admitting to it is one thing, but having come out with several updates without telling me was crap support (don't admit to a problem until it is fixable?)

So, with this update, my car shifts MUCH better; however, not completely resolved. Had it not been such an issue, I never would have complained about it after this 'update'. The reason I actually brought it in for the 4th time was because it acted strange and coughed up an engine light. They said it was a recall about an intake bolt backing out. Also, my switches on the steering wheel stopped working.

Now, as I said, it was in 5 times. So, two weeks after the 4th time.....
I noticed that the windshield wiper fluid wasn't making it to any spouts.
Getting off the freeway, I lost all power. I hobbled home at 35MPH.
And, the steering wheel switches stopped working again.

So, brought it in the next day via backroads, and this time, it turns out the Turbo died. I have 26300 miles on this car. 5 times in the shop. Sad

They fixed the steering wheel switches again. Fixed the windshield wipe fluid, replaced the turbo, and replaced the retainer for the door handle lock cap (was so loose that you simply lift it off.

So,
4 visits for the shifting issue
1 visit for Turbo
1 visit for the interior lights (during a shifting visit)
2 visits for the steering wheel switches (during a Turbo and shifting visit)
2 visits for the door handle lock cap (during a Turbo and shifting visit)
1 visit for windshield fluid (during a Turbo visit)
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 07:32am by michail1.)
01-03-2016 07:30am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smunda

RE: Poor Shifting from 1st to 2nd

So just today 2/9/17 Our 2013 evoque with about 26,000 just started with the same issue. From a stop there is a hard shift then rest of the shifts are the same. (the last car that did this to me was my abused 1991 accord back in early 2000s when it's transmission was dying, i remember transmission oil change made it a bit better car didnt last much longer). I usually dont warm it up in the morning and just drive off. Also after coasting and decelerating for a bit (5-seconds) when i accelerate the it seems to struggle and vibrate a bit so I manually downshift a gear and its fine, afterwards i hold the right command shift button and make it auto again. Always seems like the car doesn't down shift when it should so that you have smooth acceleration after after coasting. I think my manual downshifts to smooth out acceleration may have caused the issue to escalate to hard shifting from stop.

Reading your post it seems like a bad transmission design or a transmission problem. There is no way a car should be doing this at 20k some miles.

Before this shifting issue there was noticeable vibration in the car when stopped at the stop light (vibrates like a car from the 80s), took it to dealership before the 3 year warranty expired and they replaced mas air flow sensor but the vibration problem persisted. Kind of like when the idle speed needs adjustment but RR is all computer controlled per service rep.

If it gets too expensive to fix I am just going to sell it and buy a Lexus GX (though wont get as many "nice car" complements)

Question for the original poster:
-Was your vehicle under warranty when you took it to the dealer 4 times? if not under warranty about how much did it cost?
-Did yours have slightly rough acceleration when accelerating after coasting (35-40mph).
-Did yours have a vibration issue when idling?
-How is the hard shifting problem today? Are you still having the same issue?
09-02-2017 11:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply