Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Poor Design of Coupe Seat Release Handle
mstraka

How many of you coupe owners have experienced this problem? On my 2013 coupe the front seat backs tilt forward to allow for rear seat access. To allow the seat backs to tilt a release handle is placed on the side of the front seats near the headrest. When new the handles appeared to be stuck and wouldn't pull to release the seat. I called the dealer and was told to pull harder and if it breaks its on warranty. The result a broken handle (plastic) on the driver's seat and a very stiff and often stuck handle on the passenger seat. The dealer replaced the broken handle and examined and lubricated the handle linkage on both seats. The dealer's solution is to put firm thumb pressure on a forward spot on the handle release plastic flange framing the release handle and then with less resistance and the handle will work (this keeps the handle assembly from flexing – cheap plastic!) I was told that a new coupe that arrived the day mine was in for service has the same problem and there was an earlier customer complaint like mine. This is a problem that Land Rover needs to address and correct. Consider how many times your going to use this handle and how poorly and cheaply (plastic) its made, not appropriate for a car of this quality. Its just a matter of time before the plastic bends and the problems reoccurs.
05-12-2013 04:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Poor Design of Coupe Seat Release Handle

I agree, it's a poor design. I do wonder whether the coupe is long for this world; it's not as popular as expected and LR haven't really addressed the access issue, it will remain a conversation item for as long as you have the car and it's slaughtered me at resale.

That said, I still prefer the coupe styling which is much closer to the concept compared to the slightly frumpy (IMHO) looks of the 5 door, an unavoidable compromise.

As my car is now fully run in and performing well, I think some diesel owners would be surprised at the turn of speed the Si4 engine can provide.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-12-2013 05:21pm
Stadt Panzer

I had this problem with my Coupe (which went today) my stealer replaced the linkage and all was solved.

I do agree with Mark_n that the coupe looks better than the 5 door, with it's longer doors etc

Although I prefer the coupe the next one is 5 door as they seem easier to sell later.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
05-12-2013 07:27pm
PhilSkill

At the Launch shows, this part stood out as the single worst part of the car, and was almost a deal breaker after I pulled it I thought what cheap quality! if the rest of the car is like this... Luckily the 5 Door doesn't have them!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-12-2013 08:30pm
speary

Please see the attached JLR Technical Bulletin

.pdf  seat tilt problem.pdf (Size: 72.74 KB / Downloads: 71)

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 09:34am by speary.)
06-12-2013 09:32am
jos

no problem over here
almost 2 years old.......
BUT
the slowly going forward of the frontseat is very anoying

ORDER16-09/2011>DEL; 27-01/2012

eD4-PURE fuji /black int./coup
pano-roof/techPACK > done !;painted wheels
3cm lowering/2cm spacers ; ROOFwrap
already > 52.000 km drive ; average;1lit/14km
ré-painted bumperparts and mirrors

4 y.TT mk1
2 y.MINIc-S
4 y.TT mk2
1 yr mini CM;
so i fit exactly in de evoque-profile...
2015 > TTmk3......?
06-12-2013 11:26am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ringo

No problems at all.
But have only had people in the back three times in 11 months. Yes I knew that the access to the rear is bad ( worse than the Monaro I had ), but it just looks so much better than the 5 door. 10 years with the Monaro and I only had to use the rear a few times, so we just had to order the 3 door.
Will say, it is only me, the wife and the dog , and he uses the rear door as access ( and the back seat are always down for him)

TD4 Pure Coupe, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Panoramic Roof, auto head lights
Ordered : Early Aug, Build :Nov 21 :Boat arrived 9th Jan,Very Happy Dealer called, picking up Friday Jan 25th
06-12-2013 12:01pm
mstraka

(06-12-2013 09:32am)speary Wrote:  Please see the attached JLR Technical Bulletin

Speary,
Thanks for the link to the repair. I'm keeping this for my records should the problem worsen. My dealer's repair, lubricating the linkage, helps but did not completely solve the problem. Pushing down on the plastic surround bezel at the right spot while lifting the lever works about 75% of the time. I'm will put up with this rather than allowing the dealer to replace the seat frame because of the uncertainties of problems resulting from this replacement.
06-12-2013 03:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I never had problems the the front seat back tilting mechanism on my coupe but several times after folding the rear bench it either would not lift back up (like it was locked in the down position) or if it came up easily sometimes the seat back would not engage fully on the lock in the upright position and needed me to get into the rear seat and firmly slam it onto the steel u bolt it engages on.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-12-2013 01:37am
Amadeus

Also never had a problem with the tilt mechanism for the front seat. You just lift it slightly in a vertical position then pull out. Doubt there will ever be the perfect car, but mine's pretty close for me - I love my coupe!

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
07-12-2013 09:29pm