Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plastic wheel arch trim removal and replacement
Lone Rangerover

Plastic wheel arch trim removal and replacement

Wondering if anyone has changed the black trim pieces on the rear doors that surround the wheel arch. Hoe difficult are they to take on and off, and what tools are required ?

Thanks
16-08-2012 08:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Plastic wheel arch trim removal and replacement

I think Mark_n recently posted a thread about doing this.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
16-08-2012 02:12pm
mark_n

Indeed I have. There are something like 6 - 8 press studs around the wheel arch surround and they simply pull out. However, the studs are likely to break and the replacement comes with a complete set, or at least mine did.

It's best to use a wide plastic pry tool to work around the arch, starting with the top and working down each side. The ends fit behind other trim so when you want to put it back, you "plug" the ends in at each end first then press the studs home alternately left and right until you get back to the top.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
16-08-2012 10:48pm
PhilSkill

I was cleaning mine the other day and noticed the rear nearside trim wasnt flat with a slight bulge offset from the top, a little tap with the palm of my hand clipped it perfectly flat, not sure if its been like it since new or it had popped out.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-08-2012 11:15pm
Lone Rangerover

(16-08-2012 10:48pm)mark_n Wrote:  Indeed I have. There are something like 6 - 8 press studs around the wheel arch surround and they simply pull out. However, the studs are likely to break and the replacement comes with a complete set, or at least mine did.

It's best to use a wide plastic pry tool to work around the arch, starting with the top and working down each side. The ends fit behind other trim so when you want to put it back, you "plug" the ends in at each end first then press the studs home alternately left and right until you get back to the top.

Thanks for the info, Mark.

Are you saying there are 6-8 studs to pull out on the piece that's on the door ? Is it easy enough just to pull off with my hands with the door open ? Or is the pry tool you speak of required.
16-08-2012 11:22pm
mark_n

Ah, mine is a coupe so there are no rear doors to get in the way but I feel certain things will be similar for a 5 door. LR use a lot of these press studs because they are invisible fixings and allow for rapid assembly.

The advantage of using a pry tool is that you can regulate the force you are applying. Using your hands to yank the part out is likely to apply too much force and break the clips. This is especially important if you want to re-use the part.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
17-08-2012 07:26am