Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Petrol vs diesel
sethor

RE: Petrol vs diesel

I'd go the Si4 again if I had to choose again. The SD4 is still nice but coming from a Subaru STi I could not resist going for the quicker Si4.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
03-12-2012 06:07am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big G

All my previous cars were Petrol, this is my first diesel. Admittedly I never test drove the Petrol version but the SD4 diesel has more than enough oomph and especially at cruising on the motorway in 6th 140KPH is soon hit and very smooth and quiet too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 02:24pm by Big G.)
03-12-2012 11:55am
alibeau

I test drove both the diesel and the petrol versions but coming from an X5 3.0 diesel I found the diesel Evoque didn't have quite enough oooomph for me and was also a tad noisy. I went for the petrol engine and haven't looked back, I love it Very Happy

Good luck with your decision Smile

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
03-12-2012 12:55pm
leaf911

I have been relaying all your replies back to my hubby. From his impressions, i think he might end up going with the Si4 when it comes time for us to get one. Please keep the comments coming, and thank you to all those who have contributed thus far.
03-12-2012 01:06pm
FujiSan

For me, it depends upon your annual mileage (or kilometer-age, if you prefer...)

The more annual miles you do, the more the diesel makes sense. Over about 10K to 12k per annum, you would probably be better off in the diesel.

In fact, with a diesel DPF, your dealer should actually be warning you off a diesel if your annual mileage is much lower than this, as it is far more likely that your DPF won't get hot enought for long enough to complete regeneration and become blocked as a result. Generally, blocked DPF's due to low mileages are not covered by warranty and are an expensive item.

I also much prefer the low down torque "push" of the 2.2 diesel. It comes in very low at around 1500 -1700 rpm and makes for very relaxed driving.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
03-12-2012 02:49pm
speary

(03-12-2012 02:49pm)FujiSan Wrote:  For me, it depends upon your annual mileage (or kilometer-age, if you prefer...)

The more annual miles you do, the more the diesel makes sense. Over about 10K to 12k per annum, you would probably be better off in the diesel.

In fact, with a diesel DPF, your dealer should actually be warning you off a diesel if your annual mileage is much lower than this, as it is far more likely that your DPF won't get hot enought for long enough to complete regeneration and become blocked as a result. Generally, blocked DPF's due to low mileages are not covered by warranty and are an expensive item.

I also much prefer the low down torque "push" of the 2.2 diesel. It comes in very low at around 1500 -1700 rpm and makes for very relaxed driving.

Its not the lack of miles that is a problem for the DPF its more the length of the journey and letting the engine get to full working temperature.
The thing that does the DPF in are lots of short journeys

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
04-12-2012 09:33am
leaf911

(04-12-2012 09:33am)speary Wrote:  The thing that does the DPF in are lots of short journeys

What would you classify as short journeys? I would mostly use it to go to work.. About a 25-30 min journey twice a day, maybe 3 or four times a week, and the rest is shorter.
04-12-2012 10:03am
smayo

Interesting that no-one is mentioning the difference between the manual and auto's.
The SD4 auto is not much shy of the Si4 performance as 0-60mph is 8.0s in the SD4 auto compared with 7.1s in the Si4.

I went for the SD4 as I have had fast cars for quite a few years now, and I was also fed up with ridiculous mpg (well that didn't improve much with the SD4!), but as the SD4 was not much slower it made more sense to me.
Although it does sound like a London taxi which for such a nice car I find quite embarrassing Embarrassed

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
04-12-2012 10:42pm
PhilSkill

(04-12-2012 10:03am)leaf911 Wrote:  What would you classify as short journeys? I would mostly use it to go to work.. About a 25-30 min journey twice a day, maybe 3 or four times a week, and the rest is shorter.

You're probably Around the limit there, any less and diesel wouldn't be worth it, best if you sometimes also do some fast A road or Motorway driving.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-12-2012 11:19pm
BeemerBoy

I love a fast car and i've gone for the diesel evoque.

It takes roughly 10minutes for your diesel engine to warm up so you are well past that with your journey time, and lets not get too carried away a diesel can still do short journeys.

I'd say if your doing the 20-30 minutes 8 times a week you will be well past the 12,000 mile mark and that would make the diesel the cost effective option. As mentioned by others it would be a quick car in the real world as the high torque will propel you 40-70 quickly.. probably quicker than the petrol.

If your husband likes to hit the twisties you can spec the magnetic dampers which really are great tech and make the evoque very nimble for a car of it's size. I have a 1 series bmw on eibach coilovers and a few other bits of chassis wizardry and that is simple the best handling car around after the modifications, I put that in to context by being really passionate about cars and having driven many great cars.. an elise is amongst them. I'm not left wanting by the evoque with the magnetic dampers, it's no caterham but it is pretty good and a great everyday car.

SD4 - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Coupe Lux: ebony leather, style 8, black panoramic roof, satin brushed and gloss black interior, aeroflip, adaptive xenons
04-12-2012 11:49pm