Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Personal Plates - Nice or Nonce?
Pete

RE: Personal Plates - Nice or Nonce?

Thanks guys, so I've just ordered my new personalised plates. Now to see what comments I get...

Porsche Macan
23-05-2016 09:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pete

Ok, so what happens with the old plates/registration? Would it make sense for me to pay to remove those plates so I can restore them when I sell the car on?

And who do I need to notify about the change in registration? Insurance company, or is it all electronic these days?

Porsche Macan
25-05-2016 11:46am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The old plates can be disposed of or stored if you think you will be transferring the new plate to your next car, it saves you having to get a new set of the old plates made up at sale time.
Paperwork - once you have carried the physical transfer and advised the DVLA then they will generate a new V5/ "log"book. The original plate will remain on record for the car and when you want to sell it then you place the "cherished" plate on retention or transfer it to the new car the old plate will be restored to the records so you can show that. The DVLA website tells you.

Notify - Insurance so they can issue you with a new policy document/insurance certificate showing the correct registration number and Land Rover Assist if you have it as they will ask for the car registration number if you have a breakdown, if you want you can also tell your local dealership but they will only update their own electronic records. If you have an aftermarket tracker device then also tell the service provider.

Remember that APNR will flag you up on a police car system or filling station/ parking place if you have a plate showing that isn't physically recorded as having been reassigned to the car so important to follow all the steps on the DVLA website.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 01:18pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-05-2016 01:13pm
Pete

Thanks Tim for the advice here. I had forgotten about the Land Rover Assist.

So, I'll need to:-
1) Get the new plates made up (I have the V750 form)
2) Get the new registration assigned to the car
3) Inform insurance, dealer, LRA
4) Put the new plates on

Thankfully, all the DVLA stuff can be done online.

And as you say, the old registration will revert back to the car when I inform DVLA that I'm removing the new reg to transfer to a new vehicle.

What kind of proof does the insurance company need? Will they need a scan of the new V5C or can they verify against DVLA?

Porsche Macan
25-05-2016 01:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC they will also look on the DVLA Central Computer system that they, MOT testers and the police have access to, but a phone call to the insurer should suffice. IIRC you can assign a date on the DVLA website that you intend to carry out the change of plate and their database will change everything at their end also IIRC you won't get a new V5 until the change has been carried out.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 01:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-05-2016 01:57pm
Pete

Thanks Tim. Appreciated.

Porsche Macan
25-05-2016 02:02pm
Pete

Ok, so last dumb question, before I rip the old plates off.

Does the Evoque have screw holes for the rear plate? All of the photos I've seen has them attached with the (somewhat insecure) sticky pads.

Porsche Macan
27-05-2016 01:28pm
bee

(27-05-2016 01:28pm)Pete Wrote:  Ok, so last dumb question, before I rip the old plates off.

Does the Evoque have screw holes for the rear plate? All of the photos I've seen has them attached with the (somewhat insecure) sticky pads.

it depends on the dealer that fitted them when new, most are sticky pads now a days. i used a hair dryer to get my old plates off.Smile

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
27-05-2016 02:12pm
Pete

Errr.. I'm not sure that having screw holes in the tailgate is down to the dealer.

On my old FFRR, the pads started to give way and I found screw holes behind, so I could use those to do it properly. Just wanted to make sure the Evoque was the same. I've seen adverts for tailgates on eBay and some have black spots in the right places, some don't.

I don't really want to use sticky pads again as there's nothing to stop chavs from ripping them off so they can steal petrol.

I agree that screws aren't really a solution to this, but as long as a nearby car is using sticky pads, I'm a bit safer.

Porsche Macan
27-05-2016 02:20pm
xz4

Back on topic . I like them. Not got mine on yet but I've sent the paperwork to DVLA and should hear back next week. Will post up a pic once it's on. Here's a pic of it on my Z4 though.

[Image: Z4JUNE2013002.jpg]

MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Indus Silver, Black Leather, Black Pack, Head up display, Self park pack, 22" Overfinch wheels. Love it
27-05-2016 03:38pm