Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paint issues
berlin2011

RE: Paint issues

Anyone else noticed a 'ridge line' on the rear bumper where it joins up with the body? I have this on both sides of my bumper running all the way from the top to the bottom - almost looks like a piece of tape or something was stuck on and the bumper resprayed....

I have a similar line running on the inside of the spoiler (where the spoiler meets up with the pano roof)

Ideas / Comments?

[Image: 6756523779_3a263af30e_b.jpg]

[Image: 6756492181_a767e9b86e_b.jpg]

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
24-01-2012 09:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I have noticed similar on the Dynamic trim bits at the bottom of the doors, looks like the moulding edges when formed but you'd expect them to have been smoothed off before painting.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-01-2012 10:46pm
Evo-king

+1 I also thought it might have some to do with the moulding.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
24-01-2012 11:02pm
WB
WB

Yep I have the same noticeable on the spoiler - looks like its the moulding.
25-01-2012 12:11am
jitenc

Check this out.... Some lady is going to reject the Evoque ... Pretty sad story, considering the other forums have a different view to the way BAByrr sees it...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/i...tm?t=94408

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
25-01-2012 12:47am
slee18

I seen this in the past. What is happening is they are join body panels together with certain parts of a painted frame. It's to seal things up and is used on many automakers. You see it more when it is mating plastic or fiberglass to metal. It also protects the paint from rubbing.

You don't see it as much on cars because there are less oem body, trim and gfx kits. If you close enough to cars that have f1 type spoilers on the trunk you might see it.

It won't hurt anything if you pull it off

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
25-01-2012 04:26am
paulus599

Just noticed after washing the car today (well the mrs did really!) that we have the same problem, i.e. thin paint on both the top corners of the spoiler, they are very small areas but it's possible to actually see the primer through the paint now. It certainly wasn't like that from new, so can only assume that the paint is so thin that's it's rubbed through when being washed (its only been hand washed about 4 times though, so not happy to say the least).
Will be having a word with the dealer to have it sorted out under warranty. Anyone else already had this type of issue rectified?

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
28-03-2012 09:03pm
WB
WB

(28-03-2012 09:03pm)paulus599 Wrote:  Just noticed after washing the car today (well the mrs did really!) that we have the same problem, i.e. thin paint on both the top corners of the spoiler, they are very small areas but it's possible to actually see the primer through the paint now. It certainly wasn't like that from new, so can only assume that the paint is so thin that's it's rubbed through when being washed (its only been hand washed about 4 times though, so not happy to say the least).
Will be having a word with the dealer to have it sorted out under warranty. Anyone else already had this type of issue rectified?

I doubt you've washed away the paint but you'll probably find that it looks different under various light conditions. the fuji white cars seem a bit more afflicted with poor paint jobs but it may just be that the colour just shows the thin paint more than other colours. The way to get it prioperly checked is to get the paint thickness measured. A friendly local detailed will do it for you. If/when you complain to the deAler they will probably get someone in from LR to inspect it. As you can see a number of cars have been rejected where new owners understandably don't want their new cars to undergo paint repairs.
28-03-2012 09:08pm
LDT

(25-01-2012 12:47am)jitenc Wrote:  Check this out.... Some lady is going to reject the Evoque ... Pretty sad story, considering the other forums have a different view to the way BAByrr sees it...

This is Caroline, who is a forum member. There is a detailed thread outlining her issues, with a good outcome, in that she is expecting a replacement vehicle any day.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
28-03-2012 10:26pm
paulus599

Although its an issue and clearly not something you expect or want to see on a new car, its certainly not bad enough to reject the car. In their defence, this area will be very difficult to apply paint to with any great consistency. It's not a flat panel, but the flash line/split line of a moulded part so I can certainly imagine the problems they have. It doesn't excuse it being allowed out of the factory that way though, so I'm definately expecting them to correct it under warranty.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
28-03-2012 11:00pm