Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paint issues
WB
WB

Paint issues

I know there's an existing related thread but I couldn't find it using search

Just spotted this thread on detailingworld from a couple of evoque owners (both Fuji) with very thin paint issues.

I'm guessing it's easier to see the black plastic through thin white paint than some other colours but I'd suggest everyone check your cars carefully. It's conceivable that this is limited to Fuji which is the only non metallic colour and may not have a clear coat hence very thin paint.

That said these cars are all painted by machine so I would have hoped they would have consistent paint from car to car.

Does anyone know if the bumpers, spoilers etc come pre-painted from their suppliers?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...p?t=247650
23-01-2012 03:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarcastrix

RE: Paint issues

Wow - the photographs in that DW thread are shocking!

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
23-01-2012 04:08pm
The Valeter

there is a thread on here showing photos of the factory & a human being painting an Evoque.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
23-01-2012 04:20pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

Happily the paint - on the bumper at least - on my Orkney Grey seems reasonable in terms of thickness. My labrador managed to scratch the bumper yesterday after a walk; I wasn't quick enough with the boot liner flap before she jumped and she gouged the bumper deep enough to look and feel quite nasty. Shocked

However despite the apparent depth it didn't go down to base coat and I even managed to polish most of it out with a scratch remover. In fact, I'm confident I'll be able to make it disappear altogether with a couple more applications by hand as it is already smooth enough not to be detected by my nail.

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray. It's something I'll point out to LR for future remedy but I'm no hurry at the moment.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
23-01-2012 04:32pm
WB
WB

(23-01-2012 04:32pm)Coolbanana Wrote:  Happily the paint - on the bumper at least - on my Orkney Grey seems reasonable in terms of thickness. My labrador managed to scratch the bumper yesterday after a walk; I wasn't quick enough with the boot liner flap before she jumped and she gouged the bumper deep enough to look and feel quite nasty. Shocked

However despite the apparent depth it didn't go down to base coat and I even managed to polish most of it out with a scratch remover. In fact, I'm confident I'll be able to make it disappear altogether with a couple more applications by hand as it is already smooth enough not to be detected by my nail.

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray. It's something I'll point out to LR for future remedy but I'm no hurry at the moment.

I think mine has the same orange peel issue - also OG. Will try to get a photo.

Sorry to hear about the rear bumper!

(23-01-2012 04:20pm)The Valeter Wrote:  there is a thread on here showing photos of the factory & a human being painting an Evoque.

Yes I commented on that - There is also a photo of a robot painting a body shell. It looks like the person is painting on a contrast roof because that car is mostly covered up.
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 05:43pm by WB.)
23-01-2012 05:42pm
RacingSnake

Not in a position to comment on the paint... But there is a chap on there claiming 30% off list for an ex-demo?! Really?! Circa 10-15k off for a 60 mile car, i think not! Sorry! Lol

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
23-01-2012 06:45pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

I have noticed thin paint around my front fogs on my Fuji car!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
23-01-2012 07:07pm
ED209

The orange peel issue is common with modern water based paints on a lot of manufacturers, blame the environMENTALISTS for it.
23-01-2012 07:20pm
WB
WB

(23-01-2012 06:45pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  Not in a position to comment on the paint... But there is a chap on there claiming 30% off list for an ex-demo?! Really?! Circa 10-15k off for a 60 mile car, i think not! Sorry! Lol

Yep, I've asked him how he managed that. I have a senior connection at LR who told me the demo and display cars would be auctioned to the dealers to re-sell so unless they have a connection at LR I can't see how that could be.
23-01-2012 07:49pm
doug

I did notice a poor bit of finish this weekend where the wheel arch on the passenger side meets the bonnet though; quite nasty orange peel and overspray.

Mine is the same on the drivers side, only shows up under a sun gun.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
23-01-2012 10:23pm