Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paint imperfection
Teetree

Paint imperfection

I have to admit after nearly three years of ownership I've never actually taken a close look at the the paint work. However for some reason today I did look and noticed:
1. The "bubbling" effect on the bonnet. This is about a cm wide and is above the headlights. You can see the edge of the "R" on the right of the photo
2. The centre hubcaps on the wheels, looks like the lacquer has melted slightly? All four are affected to varying degrees, the one in the photo probably the worse one.
I'm thinking of may be part-exing the car some time between 3-6 months after the warranty runs out at the end of August.
So my questions are
1. do you think it's worth getting this sorted out? ie will this affect the value much if things aren't "perfect"?
2. And would this be a warranty job if it was to be fixed?

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
05-07-2015 09:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Paint imperfection

I had the Range Rover caps replaced under warranty for the same reason, water ingress causing corrosion.

The bonnet looks nasty, if there's no break-through of the paint from a stone chip, I'd get that straight to a dealer see if you can get it done under warranty as it looks like corrosion under the paintwork and will likely spread over time!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-07-2015 10:29pm
recordman

Agree with PhilSkill, you would be well advised to have the bonnet fixed under warranty as you are likely to have the cost of a repaint knocked off the trade-in value when the time comes (£200-£300??)

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
06-07-2015 08:36am
Teetree

Paint imperfection

Thanks guys. I get mine serviced at a different dealer to the one I bought the car, would I be best approaching the original dealer whom sold me the car for the warranty work or could the dealer who services my car do it?

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
06-07-2015 09:21am
PhilSkill

Any dealer can do it, Warranty work is covered by LR.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-07-2015 11:49am
RacingSnake

(05-07-2015 10:29pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I had the Range Rover caps replaced under warranty for the same reason, water ingress causing corrosion.
Me too!

Re: the bonnet, it does look like a nasty stone chip that's been able to spread - I suspect you'll get kick back from warranty, but would definitely give it a go.
If that fails, I would still get it repaired - it would put me off if I was buying.
It won't increase the value, but will increase the saleability IMO.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-07-2015 02:00pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Teetree

Paint imperfection

Had the third service last week and the dealer said it looks like corrosion. They have to send the details off to JLR and will organise for it to be sorted out. As its corrosion should be covered by the corrosion warranty so no problem with the three year warranty running out at the end of this month. So fingers crossed . Should hear something back from them next week.

16-08-2015 01:40pm
tattoobob26

I've just ordered a new set of centre caps off ebay £9.99. Mine have done the same thing but look worse.
16-08-2015 02:28pm
Teetree

Paint imperfection

Oh forgot, now u mentioned it, the wheel caps were replaced under warranty. They took one look at them and said they'd replace them

16-08-2015 08:44pm
Teetree

Paint imperfection

Anybody have any ideas as to what's happened to the alloys here?
After the service the other week I noticed this. Probably because the car was clean and the alloys were polished. At first I thought it was bird droppings that have solidified and so was difficult to shift. So I tried to scrape it off with my fingernail but it was hard solid and smooth , feels like it's part of the wheel rather than something had dried on it.
Anyway I took the car back to the dealer and they had a guy come out, sprayed some stuff on and attempted to scrub it off. However he only made it slightly worse hence the thin white streak upwards.
They have now booked the car into the local body shop to have it looked into (the bonnet and alloy wheel) then work can commence once they've assessed the faults.    

(This post was last modified: 19-08-2015 03:40pm by Teetree.)
19-08-2015 03:38pm