Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paddle shifters - a design flaw??!
Evoquer

Paddle shifters - a design flaw??!

Has anyone accidentally or out of curiosity lifted the left paddle shifter (-) while running on the highway in D mode? Guess what. It changes the gear all the way to the 1st gear and the RPM goes up to somewhere 5000!!! This is not only unsafe to driver but also harmful to the car, so I think it really should lower one gear down from wherever it was.

Is this a design flaw or the uneducated driver problem?

Evoque Coupe, Pure, Fuji white, Ebony, Climate Pkg, and US Pure Premium pkg

[Image: event.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 08:37am by Evoquer.)
07-07-2012 07:47am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barneyridge

RE: Paddle shifters - a design flaw??!

I will say driver issue ...... Only cause have not done it Smile

I thought the electronics would limited the down change to a gear that wouldn't damage the drivetrain.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
07-07-2012 08:26am
Evoquer

(07-07-2012 08:26am)Barneyridge Wrote:  I will say driver issue ...... Only cause have not done it Smile

I thought the electronics would limited the down change to a gear that wouldn't damage the drivetrain.

Try it then. Smile

I had to stop my car because of the noise and rattling then I realized that I had touched the paddle.

Evoque Coupe, Pure, Fuji white, Ebony, Climate Pkg, and US Pure Premium pkg

[Image: event.png]
07-07-2012 08:42am
RacingSnake

urm... it shouldn't (and doesn't) change down (or up) if the revs don't match.... and I have tried it.
Often when "making progress" I'm flicking the down paddle a couple of times, and a few times it's stopped me.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
07-07-2012 10:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tyke2

(07-07-2012 10:15am)RacingSnake Wrote:  urm... it shouldn't (and doesn't) change down (or up) if the revs don't match.... and I have tried it.
Often when "making progress" I'm flicking the down paddle a couple of times, and a few times it's stopped me.
Ditto

Vw Campervan Hire - http://www.happydayscampers.co.uk
07-07-2012 10:23am
Deaky

Just tried this, mine just changed from drive to command shift. The gear shifted up 1 which was consistent with pressing the - lever. Pressing and holding the lever gave the same result. I would say you have a fault Sad
07-07-2012 10:34am
Ranger4

Mine only changes, up or down, one gear at a time.

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
07-07-2012 02:11pm
PhilSkill

(07-07-2012 07:47am)Evoquer Wrote:  Has anyone accidentally or out of curiosity lifted the left paddle shifter (-) while running on the highway in D mode? Guess what. It changes the gear all the way to the 1st gear and the RPM goes up to somewhere 5000!!! This is not only unsafe to driver but also harmful to the car, so I think it really should lower one gear down from wherever it was.

Is this a design flaw or the uneducated driver problem?

No it should not do this, it should protect against any damaging speeds to engine or gearbox, and it should only change 1 gear for each pull of the paddle. Sounds like it went into error, or there is a fault.

As an example If you were in 6th in the SI4 at 1500 rpm cruising at around 70kph, and it changed into first it would equate to 9000 rpm at 70kph!! you would have had to slow to 42kph during the time it changed down!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-07-2012 04:30pm
olde

I think you just made that up to impress everyone, right? Otherwise, you are one scary cookie, Phil!

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
07-07-2012 11:52pm
kenta

Guys,

Just wandering, when paddle shifters being used in D Mode during driving, does it divert back from paddle shifters back to D Mode automatically, without pressing - lever. i noticed on mine when i relax my foot from the accelerator or few seconds of not using the paddle shifter. Is this normal?
08-07-2012 04:09am