Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pic Request: Front Fogs!
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Pic Request: Front Fogs!

So every new Merc E Class, Porsche, Volvo and Skoda has illegal DRL/Fogs? I don't think they would get type approval although I do find them unnecessarily bright and way too low to be a lot of good as DRL's

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-10-2012 03:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paisan

Front fogs are separate to DRLs ( usually ) .

"It is an offence to use fog lights unless visibility is reduced to 100m or less, and doing so can attract a £30 fixed penalty notice because of the danger it poses to other drivers who may be dazzled or distracted. However, with front fog lights now commonplace on UK roads due to manufacturers incorporating them on an increasing number of vehicles as standard, nearly one in ten motorists (8 per cent) admitted to using high intensity fog lights outside of these circumstances"
From SWIFTCOVER website .

Its a fashion statement - "it looks good" - to drive with fogs on ( and no fog ) .

If manufacturers are incorporating DRLs into the foglights is it likely to be a different bulb and not the actual foglights themselves?

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvic...hicle.aspx

adding slightly more weight than an insurance website
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 05:20pm by paisan.)
08-10-2012 05:12pm
Bessiebella

I was stopped by the police a couple of years ago for acing fog lights on when they wasn't foggy, had accidentally turned them on so they let me off luckily.
08-10-2012 09:22pm
magnumforc

The standard halogen headlights on the Evoque are so poor that I drive with the fog lights on all the time. It's egal out here. I don't want to upgrade to the HID's for the short distances I usually do drive at night, but will try some of the newer headlight bulbs by Sylvania or Philips perhaps for a whiter light. Got so used to HID's in the other cars I guess I'm spoiled.
16-05-2013 11:31pm
speary

Fogs are not DRL's and visa versa. they comply to different legal requirements. Thats not to say that DRL's are very bright, some of them are but they are not a focused beam like a fog light which is designed to cut through fog at a low height therefore not causing light reflection as you would get from normal height headlights.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-05-2013 08:26am
magnumforc

(20-05-2013 08:26am)speary Wrote:  Fogs are not DRL's and visa versa. they comply to different legal requirements. Thats not to say that DRL's are very bright, some of them are but they are not a focused beam like a fog light which is designed to cut through fog at a low height therefore not causing light reflection as you would get from normal height headlights.

I surely recognize that but if the headlights are not sufficient, you need auxiliary lighting to light the way. In Florida, we were allowed to use driving lights in rural areas, out here not so much. I'd gladly install a set of 55 or 100 watt driving lights and a bull bar on the Evoque for better night driving, but alas the tickets would be astronomical. The fogs work just fine. Plus, you would be amazed how many people go around with fogs on not even knowing they are on...or just for show. On this car they are really needed.
20-05-2013 04:13pm
speary

(20-05-2013 04:13pm)magnumforc Wrote:  I surely recognize that but if the headlights are not sufficient, you need auxiliary lighting to light the way. In Florida, we were allowed to use driving lights in rural areas, out here not so much. I'd gladly install a set of 55 or 100 watt driving lights and a bull bar on the Evoque for better night driving, but alas the tickets would be astronomical. The fogs work just fine. Plus, you would be amazed how many people go around with fogs on not even knowing they are on...or just for show. On this car they are really needed.

I understand that the halogens dont appear to be very good but I would be suprised if your fogs had a greater reach as the fog beam is wide and low and only projects about 10 metres in front of the car but lights up the verges at the side. Designed for poor visability and low speed.
To be safe remember this
"Always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear" and you wont go wrong

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
21-05-2013 08:25am
IvorRedOne

(08-10-2012 11:42am)EpicEvo Wrote:  Thought that might hit a nerve. But at the same time... Volvo have now made there fog lights the day time running lights... I rest my case
True. I have an XC60 R-Design Lux Nav D5 Which has DRL's which are as bright as my Wife's Evoque. But having the Evoque's DRL's and Fog lights on is a bit much. Four lights whilst driving in the day time is a bit much.
30-09-2017 09:04am