Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Off road tyres for 20in rims???
Kaiser

Off road tyres for 20in rims???

Hey all,

So I've ordered an RRE Dynamic with 20in (style 6) rims due to arrive 15/5 Smile . Of course I ordered the rims because they look fantastic but didn't think about the diameter for going off road at the time Embarrassed . I know running the standard rubber off road could cause rim damage, pinching and is generally not ideal.

My question is does any one know of a suitable tyre to overcome these issues?

With out having to buy a set of smaller rims just to go off road. I'm not a hard core 4WDer but do love a little adventure and of course I want to minimise the risk of unnecessary damage... don't we all!

Cheers.

5 Door manual SD4 Dynamic, Mauritius Blue, Contrast Black Pano' Roof, Style 6, Black interior, Ebony Head liner, Dynamic Tech' Pack, Surround cameras, and Adaptive Dynamics. Cool
(Collected 5 of July 2012)
17-05-2012 03:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maccacch

RE: Off road tyres for 20in rims???

hi kaiser,

like you, i got the 20 inch option. after some research, i ended up purchasing 4 sets of 17" rims with bridgestone 697 a/t tyres for $2k. it would have been about the same cost to put on semi-decent 20" rubbers for off-roading plus potential damage to the rims. the tyre place has also agreed to swap the rims and tyres over for me free of charge whenever i wanna venture off road. recently been to moreton island. will post some pics soon. hope this helps.
17-05-2012 04:38pm
TiTan

That seems the better option by far - though I assume the rolling diameter is the same on the 17's, otherwise it would mess with your speedo etc I think?
18-05-2012 12:17am
maccacch

diameter is essentially the same. road noise has increased a fair bit tho. grip on the tarmac is no where as good as the 20 inch rubber but grip offroad on the new 17s are phenomenal. the adaptive dynamics really make the ride offroad silky smooth.

pics as promised

18-05-2012 04:46pm
rredrive

(18-05-2012 04:46pm)maccacch Wrote:  diameter is essentially the same. road noise has increased a fair bit tho. grip on the tarmac is no where as good as the 20 inch rubber but grip offroad on the new 17s are phenomenal. the adaptive dynamics really make the ride offroad silky smooth.

pics as promised

The 17s look good. Must have been fun on Moreton island! Did you encounter any soft boggy sand while there and did the 17s cope well with soft sand? Did the 17s do well if you deflate them for sand?

Finally someone puts offroad tyres on the car. I am thinking of doing the same.
06-08-2012 05:25am
IKM

(18-05-2012 04:46pm)maccacch Wrote:  diameter is essentially the same. road noise has increased a fair bit tho. grip on the tarmac is no where as good as the 20 inch rubber but grip offroad on the new 17s are phenomenal. the adaptive dynamics really make the ride offroad silky smooth.

pics as promised
Great information. I was wondering whether they'd be any problems for adaptive dynamics by fitting 17" or 18" wheels, but you've answered that one.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
06-08-2012 10:27am
maccacch

The 17s look good. Must have been fun on Moreton island! Did you encounter any soft boggy sand while there and did the 17s cope well with soft sand? Did the 17s do well if you deflate them for sand?

Finally someone puts offroad tyres on the car. I am thinking of doing the same.
[/quote]

Yea moreton was great fun. Deflated the tyres to 20 psi all round and did not get near trouble even through the inland roads. On several areas there were water about 12-14 inches deep and the evoque waded through without any probs. even on soft boggy sand, I was able to stop the vehicle and drive away again with minimal to no wheelspin. mind you, i had a set of maxtrax for extra security in case i got bogged - didn't need to use it tho
06-08-2012 03:44pm
rredrive

Yea moreton was great fun. Deflated the tyres to 20 psi all round and did not get near trouble even through the inland roads. On several areas there were water about 12-14 inches deep and the evoque waded through without any probs. even on soft boggy sand, I was able to stop the vehicle and drive away again with minimal to no wheelspin. mind you, i had a set of maxtrax for extra security in case i got bogged - didn't need to use it tho
[/quote]

Wow that is great news! Restores faith in the Evoques capabilities. I will be getting some maxtrax or the 800mm tred as a precaution too. The sinking feeling of bogging is motivaton enough for me. Can you please forward me the model/specs of the Bridgestone 697a/t tyres you ordered? I am considering an electric car jack like this to save visiting the tyre shop for tyre changes. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-TON-12V-DC-...861wt_1398

many thanks for the help.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 05:13pm by rredrive.)
06-08-2012 05:12pm
maccacch

yea electric jack is a good idea but too expensive imo. how bout a simple hydraulic jack and some car stands? cheaper option and just as easy to use.

the tyres are 697a/t 235/65/r17. i don't think bogging is really an issue esp if you have the right tyre pressures. in my view, its probably the lack of proper ground clearance that will get you in trouble. the maxtrax should get you out of any trouble tho
07-08-2012 01:42pm
rredrive

(07-08-2012 01:42pm)maccacch Wrote:  yea electric jack is a good idea but too expensive imo. how bout a simple hydraulic jack and some car stands? cheaper option and just as easy to use.

the tyres are 697a/t 235/65/r17. i don't think bogging is really an issue esp if you have the right tyre pressures. in my view, its probably the lack of proper ground clearance that will get you in trouble. the maxtrax should get you out of any trouble tho

Thanks again! maxtrax looks great would have been great when I last got stuck in sand. Funny never really thought about vehicle recovery until it was really needed. I truly believed those ads and reviews of the Evoque effortlessly gliding along the desert planes which instilled such a sense of confidence...until got seriously bogged.

imo maxtrax or similar device should come with such cars standard.

Hydraulic Jack would probably last longer and be quicker than the electric one.

There is someone that modified/raised the ground clearance of the evoque...

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...ittle.html
07-08-2012 03:43pm