Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Off-Roading in Hong Kong
pugracer

Off-Roading in Hong Kong

I went out with a group of Land Rovers in Hong Kong on Sunday and got my Evoque dirty. It's my first time getting on something rough. I got chances to use all off-road functions on the car, except for the sand mode. It was fun. I'm sure the Evoque is much more capable than what myself, but no match to the Defenders (not any surprises here).

[Image: 116845.png]
Range Rover Evoque - Pure, 5-Door, Si4, Auto, Fuji White/Cirrus
Lotus Elise
Peugeot 206 GTi
21-05-2012 03:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slee18

RE: Off-Roading in Hong Kong

what part of Hong Kong is that?

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
21-05-2012 06:07pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Pug, you would be surprised at what a Freelander2 and Evoque can do in deep mud that would have a 2.3tonnes Defender stuck, it's all down to the clever electronics that Defenders don't get and the lighter weight of the Evo and Freely. Your photo of you car with a wheel flying would also see a Defender stuck if the driver had not launched it at that terrain, cross axle dips and humps "aka elephant's footprints" like those can seriously embarrass a Defender that doesn't have Traction control!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-05-2012 07:33pm
SebM

Cool !!

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
22-05-2012 08:16am
pugracer

(21-05-2012 06:07pm)slee18 Wrote:  what part of Hong Kong is that?

At the center of the map here: http://g.co/maps/fbpy8

(21-05-2012 07:33pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Pug, you would be surprised at what a Freelander2 and Evoque can do in deep mud that would have a 2.3tonnes Defender stuck, it's all down to the clever electronics that Defenders don't get and the lighter weight of the Evo and Freely. Your photo of you car with a wheel flying would also see a Defender stuck if the driver had not launched it at that terrain, cross axle dips and humps "aka elephant's footprints" like those can seriously embarrass a Defender that doesn't have Traction control!

It's digital versus analogue! ^^
It's like a Golf GTi, which makes a ordinary driver feel like he is a talented racer. The Evoque made me believe I know driving off-road, which I know nothing about.

Lotus Elise
Peugeot 206 GTi
22-05-2012 11:47am
XFullFatTim

Well don't get too enthusiastic, Evoque's problem isn't traction but ground clearance, it soon runs out of that when a Defender won't! Ruts can make it a bad day out in a Freelander or an Evoque if you cannot straddle then with 2 wheels on the centre ridge and two on the outside of the ruts, you can do serious damage to the underside of your Evoque if you catch a large rock hidden in the centre ridge between ruts. A friend of mine ripped the entire rear section of the prop shaft and VC/IRD out of his Freelander that way................ trying to pay with the "big boys" out in the wilds of northern Scotland

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-05-2012 01:04pm
pugracer

(22-05-2012 01:04pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Well don't get too enthusiastic

Exactly what I meant! We've got too many over enthusiastic Golf GTi driver over here.

And, you are dead right on the ground clearance. On that narrow slope where I was on 3 wheels, I was inching down due to the deep ruts right in the middle. The Defenders just easily cruised down. I needed to choose a more precise path so I would not drop into the ruts and damage the floor, and also not scratch the car against the stone walls. The Defenders could also choose a different path down due to the much bigger approach angle.

This is getting me hooked. I can see a Defender coming in future. LOL

Lotus Elise
Peugeot 206 GTi
22-05-2012 02:03pm
XFullFatTim

Why do you think I have a Def 90 as well? I used to offload a Freelander1 but was finding its low ground clearance a bit restricting............... The 90 was brought as a Freelander sump guard and works just as well as an Evoque sump guard, it's a toy, and a expensive one but since 2002 it has given endless entertainment and fun and taken me places that I wouldn't have wanted to take a £72000 Range Rover!

22-05-2012 03:45pm
slee18

Ah i never ventured out that far when i was there Smile

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
22-05-2012 06:00pm
pugracer

Off-Roading in Hong Kong

(22-05-2012 03:45pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Why do you think I have a Def 90 as well? I used to offload a Freelander1 but was finding its low ground clearance a bit restricting............... The 90 was brought as a Freelander sump guard and works just as well as an Evoque sump guard, it's a toy, and a expensive one but since 2002 it has given endless entertainment and fun and taken me places that I wouldn't have wanted to take a £72000 Range Rover!

All my cars are obviously expensive toys, given I live in HK. XD

Lotus Elise
Peugeot 206 GTi
23-05-2012 10:45am