Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
First impressions for potential buyers
karambar

Hi all,

This is my first post, and a small review of my new Evoque. I figured I might post here.
So here I go. Hope it can be useful to any potential buyer.

Mine is a Prestige 5 door TD4 automatic with Ivory-espresso leather, Orkney grey with black panoramic contrast roof. Options are reverse camera, adaptive Xenon, DAB radio, Meridian 800 watt system, and a few more such as heated seats, heating steering wheel and front windscreen.

I ordered a coupe, but the seller got things all mixed up and got me a 5 door! Hesitated to take it, as I think a coupe looks far far better, but on hindsight, 5 door is really practical, and I'm slowly getting used to 5 doors. And of course did not want to wait another 6 months! Also got the 10 double spoke rims, which I didn't really like, so the seller ordered 5 spoke style 3 rims as for the coupe, for free, to compensate. I'll keep both sets of rims.

First, I must say I was surprised to see how quiet the car and its engine are. Quite impressive, even compared to BMW and Audi, my 2 previous cars. There is little wind noise, ortyre noise even driving on a motorway, contrary to what I read a few places.

ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS?
I hesitated on getting an sd4 with adaptive dynamics, so I tried both several times before buying.
I feel there is very little difference in normal mode, and I find the suspension on the magneride model is a bit harder than on the standard version. On another hand, the magneride version does keep body roll in check a bit better. But then, I didn't go for an evoque to have a racing cart, in the first place. Having said that, body roll is quite ok even on winding mountain roads, on my standard suspension model. I also thought that the suspension on the adaptive dynamics model was VERY jittery even on smooth surfaces when in dynamic mode. Hence my choice, very glad with it.

SD4 or TD4?

Also hesitated there. Finally got a TD4. As it turns out, the engine is the same as the SD4, but tuned down a bit. Contrary to what I read, it is exactly as smooth as the SD4 and does not sound like a smaller engine, as it is not. Even with only 150 BHp, it is quite enough to have fun as the torque (the important part) is quite impressive, and only marginally different from the SD4 (400 vs 420 NM). I do not hear ANY typical diesel rattle when inside the car, contrary to most small diesels. Well done RR! TD4 will keep road tax down a bit, too.

GEAR BOX:

Took the auto. Very very smooth gearbox, although not exactly sporty. Do not feel any hesitation between gears as sometimes reported. Paddleshifts are standard and great fun even on a TD4. The knob looks original and classy too. Tried hill descent, which is quite impressive on steep slippery roads!

PANORAMIC ROOF:

Very very cool! Almost criminal not to have one, in my opinion. Does not increase wind noise. Cabin does not heat up too much either in the sun ( is tinted quite a bit ).

Air conditionning:

I was surprised to see how well it works, even in the sun with the pano roof open, and how little you notice it. Contrary to most cars I drove, it does not do the usual ICE COLD or TOO HOT thing. Feels like an agreable breeze...

SEATS:

Very comfortable, even when compared to BMW sport seats or recaro seats. Fully adaptable.

DAB and Meridian system:

Wow! Kick-ass system. Excellent sound, with the possibility to choose between several settings for the surround part. The Meridian tri-field setting sound exactly like sitting in front of a stage. Excellent sound. The only problem is that standard downloaded music sounds a bit flat sometimes compared to CD or SACD music. Very good for vocal and classical music too! I'll have to start buying CD's again!

XENON adaptive lighting:

I had that on my previous car. And i must say this one is FAR superior. The xenon lights turn with the steering wheel, and there is also a high power white LED projector on the exterior of each xenon light, that really lights up the side of the road. Makes an enormous difference on winding roads. And fog lights are LED too, and much brighter than standard fog lights. Really recommend it.

Fuel economy:

As always, even driving nice and smooth, figures are not as good as stated by RR, but only marginally so. Quite good nevertheless, and quite a big gas tank compared to some other cars.

So there you go. Really enjoy it, and well worth the wait, in spite of the fact I didn't get a coupe.
29-08-2012 12:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: First impressions for potential buyers

Welcome aboard and I am really glad you are enjoying your new arrival.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
29-08-2012 02:53pm
SebM

Welcome !! Great review ! Where are you from in Switzerland ?

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
29-08-2012 02:59pm
karambar

Here are a few pics of my Evoque: Prestige Orkney grey with contrast pano Roof. Interior Ivory-Espresso
(29-08-2012 02:59pm)SebM Wrote:  Welcome !! Great review ! Where are you from in Switzerland ?

Beautiful Lac Leman in the back! Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 09:08pm by karambar.)
28-09-2012 08:52pm
SebM

So, we are in the same region...

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
01-10-2012 06:54am
Mrcham

Just been reading your post, which I liked and thank you for a good description of your first impressions.

I am a little puzzled as you say that you have the TD4 with Auto gearbox. This is not an option in the UK. It's either TD4 manual or the SD4 has the choice of Auto or Manual.

Did your fuel consumption improve, and what do you get now?

Hope your still enjoying it.
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2013 12:43pm by cjfp.)
13-01-2013 08:22am
Jai

I have to disagree with your impressions of the gearbox being not sporty. I think it is fantastic, with almost instant response upon clicking the paddles in. I even find that as quick as I can double click it down gears the gearbox will change down 2 gears with fantastic precision. However, the programming of the TCM is crap in the sense that even in manual mode the bloody gearbox still shifts a gear at redline, it doesn't wait for user input for the next gear. With this in mind it may as well not even have paddles, there is hardly a valid reason for them if you're giving the car some stick since the car does what it wants anyways.
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2013 11:57am by Jai.)
13-01-2013 11:56am
mbiegun

I'd like to say Hello! I am also based in Swiss Smile. I bought my baby RR three months ago and I am quite happy of it. I have petrol engine 240hp, Pure version with Tech and Winter packets. Ecoboost engine rulez, gearbox is OK, sleepy sometimes, but waking up it changes car in a rocket.
One advise: do not leave keys in the car. I did it one time for a few days and battery was discharged. Wink My present topic is to find enough long Roof Box to transport 180cm long skis. Grusse!
13-01-2013 06:22pm
slee18

Great color combination inside and out!

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
14-01-2013 02:19am
Amadeus

Very nice pictures and car. One question, in Australia we get a printed vehicle spec sheet on order confirmation so not sure how dealers get stuff wrong (aka 5 door instead of coupe)? What do you get for confirmation over there?
My build is due next week (23rd) so if I get a 5 door delivered instead of the coupe I will be livid!!!!! cheers

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
15-01-2013 08:17am