Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OEM wheel brace, not happy, Jan!
Clip

OEM wheel brace, not happy, Jan!

Christams eve 3:30pm, raced back to shops for 4th time that day. Pouring rain, need to get home to get the barbie fired up for the roast beef. Walking back to car and guy points out that I've got a flat tyre! Fanbloodytastic!!! That's all I need!!! Back out of stupid tiny parking space (why are they so narrow these days?), carefully drive around corner and pull over. Get out in the rain, pull out the spare wheel, jack and brace, go to loosen nuts, brace doesn't fit nuts! WTF I swear to myself. Get out owners manual and it talks about adapter for lock nuts. Well no lock nuts, but thinking might be something odd. Search entire car for the adapter, none found. So phone LR Assist. Guy asks me what MY? 2015 I tell him. Then asks 'does it have a CD player?' I'm just about ready to either start laughing hysterically or swear. He's no help, so only being about a kilometre from home, I do the bolt. It's nearly 4pm but I jump in the trusty old Husky and race down to dealer. Probably because I arrived in the Husky, and that I was still soaking wet, the usually friendly sales staff turned away when I walked in, guessing correctly that something was wrong with my new Evoque. Went up and told story to service guy. He had no idea but said he'd go and ask a tech, eventhough they had offically knocked off for the day, but I think he sensed it could be a very unhappy Christmas for him if he didn't help me. I suggested as calmly as possible that he asks one of the mechanics as I didn't think hooking the car up to a laptop would help give the answer. He laughed at this, I didn't, he walked out quickly. Came back, no there is no adapter needed for the standard nuts. Should just be a 21mm nut. Well I give up then. He suggests I phone Assist. I leave not wishing anyone a happy Christmas. Get home, pull out a 21mm socket and it slips straight on!!! So, what is up? LR must have put the wrong wheelbrace in? No, it does go on a couple of mm then stops. Look inside the brace socket and here's a run of weld along one of the hex's stopping it from going over the nut. It's now after 5pm and 2 hours since I had to race up to the shops. The barbie still hasn't been lit and we're supposed to be going out at 8pm. Needless to say, next week someone at the dealer is going to wish I'd bought a Kia!
26-12-2015 06:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply