Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nine speed ZF gearbox recall??
couplands

RE: Nine speed ZF gearbox recall??

(17-05-2015 12:10pm)jeffersj Wrote:  Not sure what the exact problem in China was but I would have thought that your new motor would have the latest software upgrades installed on delivery or at Pdi.

What had aroused my suspicions before reading the LRO article was that the car appeared to be labouring at certain slower speeds and in slow moving traffic and with an automatic having 9 speeds this should never happen, should it?

Not sure if the upgrade will cure this though!

On my Disco4 (with an 8 speed box) I had an issue of slow pick-up/tardy gear change. Often happened when accelerating from a standstill, uphill and round a slow corner - happens to be one near our house..! There was a TSB to update the software to speed up the gear changes. It helped with the "pick-up" and also made the down shifts much smoother.

This is why I asked about the software update on the Evoque, as the downshift - 5th to 4th especially, is not right. I took it to the dealer on Friday, but nothing done, so I guess I have to adapt to the box as-is.

cheers

simon
17-05-2015 06:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
walterwindbag

(17-05-2015 06:31pm)couplands Wrote:  On my Disco4 (with an 8 speed box) I had an issue of slow pick-up/tardy gear change. Often happened when accelerating from a standstill, uphill and round a slow corner - happens to be one near our house..! There was a TSB to update the software to speed up the gear changes. It helped with the "pick-up" and also made the down shifts much smoother.

This is why I asked about the software update on the Evoque, as the downshift - 5th to 4th especially, is not right. I took it to the dealer on Friday, but nothing done, so I guess I have to adapt to the box as-is.

cheers

simon

Simon Hi, I did some reading up on your problem. Try looking on Evoqueforums.net and see if you can find the link to an article about the 9 speed ZF box. It explains exactly what the issues are between 5th and 4th and why they occur. It is basically a dseign issue and relates to the number of things that have to happen during the 5/4 change - things which don't need to happen for other changes.
Best Regards
Walt

(17-05-2015 06:31pm)couplands Wrote:  On my Disco4 (with an 8 speed box) I had an issue of slow pick-up/tardy gear change. Often happened when accelerating from a standstill, uphill and round a slow corner - happens to be one near our house..! There was a TSB to update the software to speed up the gear changes. It helped with the "pick-up" and also made the down shifts much smoother.

cheers

simon

Simon Hi, I did some reading up on your problem. Try looking on Evoqueforums.net and see if you can find the link to an article about the 9 speed ZF box. It explains exactly what the issues are between 5th and 4th and why they occur. It is basically a design issue and relates to the number of things that have to happen during the 5/4 change - things which don't need to happen for other changes.
Best Regards
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 08:47am by walterwindbag.)
18-05-2015 08:46am
couplands

(18-05-2015 08:46am)walterwindbag Wrote:  Simon Hi, I did some reading up on your problem. Try looking on Evoqueforums.net and see if you can find the link to an article about the 9 speed ZF box. It explains exactly what the issues are between 5th and 4th and why they occur. It is basically a dseign issue and relates to the number of things that have to happen during the 5/4 change - things which don't need to happen for other changes.
Best Regards
Walt

Simon Hi, I did some reading up on your problem. Try looking on Evoqueforums.net and see if you can find the link to an article about the 9 speed ZF box. It explains exactly what the issues are between 5th and 4th and why they occur. It is basically a design issue and relates to the number of things that have to happen during the 5/4 change - things which don't need to happen for other changes.
Best Regards
Walt

Thanks Walt,

Good find. I found a link on that forum relating to the issue. So, firstly I'm happy that the issue has been noted by others, but secondly there doesn't appear to be a fix.

Link:- http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...ion-3.html

I guess we wait to see if LR can fix it.

Cheers

Simon
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 09:10am by couplands.)
18-05-2015 09:04am
gjd10002

Hi Jeffers

Recalls of vehicles are usually for safety issues that cannot wait until the next service or routine visit. I know of no such recalls on the 9 speed Evoque. There are, however, at least 3 software updates (that I know of) for the 9 speed Evoque which are installed by the dealer upon request or on an 'opportunity basis'. My 2014 9 speed Evoque has had these three software update. In order of becoming available these updates are as follows:

1. An update to stop a problem where the control system software was 'over protecting' the 9 speed gearbox and preventing the vehicle from starting from a standstill on a severe gradient when off-roading on slippery rock or similar surfaces

2. An update to stop the problem of the vehicle getting stuck in Park!! (This actually happened to my car...not nice)

3. An update (probably the one to which you refer) to smooth out the gear changes.

I'm not sure whether update 1 was successful (because, although I have off-roaded in an Evoque, I have not offroaded in my Evoque!) but, in my case, the other two updates were successful.

I do know of some folk who have had issues with the third update.

I hope this is of help.

Others on here will know more about update 3 in particular.

Some folk may have had all three updates in one go and therefore not be aware of the distinction between them

Regards

Gary

(13-04-2015 05:41pm)jeffersj Wrote:  LRO magazine (May issue) has an article about 36,500 Evoques recalled in China after a TV show revealed a flaw in the 9 speed ZF gearbox affecting shift quality prompting a global service update. The article states that your dealer will upgrade the software for free, it should only take 30 mins.

Has anyone received a recall notice or any further information?
18-05-2015 10:16pm
jeffersj

Thanks for all of the feedback, will see if i can notice any difference after 1st June when the update has been completed.

The D4 we had was supposed to have an intuitive gearbox i.e. it adapted to your style of driving!, the Evoque is an ex LR car (demonstrator) so knows what style of driving has taken place if indeed the Evoque has an intuitive box.

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
19-05-2015 11:35am
Mikejb

(15-05-2015 02:40pm)Pete@LandRover Wrote:  Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. If you do have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hi Jeffersj

Glad to hear you are booked in, as above, if you do have any concerns following this, please send me a PM and I would be happy to assist.

Many thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Having had the Evoque back from Rideway Landrover Oxford after having the first service, they could not find any issue with the gear change/delay in pulling away at a junction. While it was in I asked them to check and repair the rattle coming from the drivers seatbelt. I must say I'm extremely disappointed with the very poor condition they returned my Evoque in. Greasy hand prints and black greas marks all over the door column and the roof cloth covering. I have contacted them and they said to bring the car back. Surely the vehicle should never have been given back in this condition. Pete is this the standards Landrover expect of their dealerships? How can I trust what they are telling me if this is the level of service they are giving?
Very disappointed.
Mike
20-05-2015 10:17pm
CRC@LandRover

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear this. It is certainly not the standard we would hope to see from the franchise retailers.

More than happy to look into this further if you would like to PM me with the following details:

Full Name:
Contact No:
Contact Email:
Vehicle Reg:

Many thanks,
Pete

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
21-05-2015 08:15am
Mikejb

(21-05-2015 08:15am)Pete@LandRover Wrote:  Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear this. It is certainly not the standard we would hope to see from the franchise retailers.

More than happy to look into this further if you would like to PM me with the following details:

Full Name:
Contact No:
Contact Email:
Vehicle Reg:

Many thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete,

I will be taking the Evoque back to them this morning to allow them to check the condition it was handed back in. I have taken photos, however they are to large to attach to this email. I would like you to look into this further because this is just not acceptable and I do not think that just valleting will solve this issue.
Look forward to your help.
Thanks
Mike
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2015 08:54am by Mikejb.)
21-05-2015 08:25am
AndyFrance

I feel that in the interest of security for 'Mikejb' babyRR should remove his contact details from this thread.
21-05-2015 08:39am
Mikejb

(21-05-2015 08:39am)AndyFrance Wrote:  I feel that in the interest of security for 'Mikejb' babyRR should remove his contact details from this thread.

Hi Andy,
How do I do that?
Mike
21-05-2015 08:52am