Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to us MY16 front camera missing?
Sharpy1980

New to us MY16 front camera missing?

Well then the other half has finally found the right car and we collected it yesterday it’s a MY16 Hse dynamic td4 in Corris grey with ebony interior and black 20” wheels it does look smart and even though I’m not the biggest evoque fan lol I’ve got to say it drives really well and the seats are so comfortable even compared to my rrs.
Anyway onto my first issue haha, when she found the car I got the vin and went in topix to check the spec and one thing I’ve found is that the spec show the car to have forward facing camera but only the rear one shows up on the screen in the menus, I have had a look around the car and can’t see any signs of a camera and from a quick search I think it’s meant to be in the centre of the bumper about level with the parking sensors, I was wondering if anyone can confirm that is the location as I’m a little worried as it’s had to have a new windscreen and am wondering if the dealer has tried to save a few £££.
14-05-2018 09:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: New to us MY16 front camera missing?

Does the car have lane departure and or road sign recognition systems? If so then the forward facing cam is up at the top of the windscreen in the rear view mirror mount. If the car had surround cams then there would be 2 cams, one on each corner of the front bumper. If if has adaptive cruise with autonomous braking then I think the camera is also in the rear view mirror mount. If it has none of those pieces of kit then there is no forward facing camera. If it had surround cams you would not get a single view forwards but two “junction” images that show the front and corners in two images

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-05-2018 06:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-05-2018 06:52pm
Sharpy1980

(15-05-2018 06:52pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Does the car have lane departure and or road sign recognition systems? If so then the forward facing cam is up at the top of the windscreen in the rear view mirror mount. If the car had surround cams then there would be 2 cams, one on each corner of the front bumper. If if has adaptive cruise with autonomous braking then I think the camera is also in the rear view mirror mount. If it has none of those pieces of kit then there is no forward facing camera. If it had surround cams you would not get a single view forwards but two “junction” images that show the front and corners in two images

It does have lane departure warning although it’s turned off in the cluster, it doesn’t have surround cameras or adaptive cruise or road sign recognition though, I can see some stuff in the mirror area from outside the car they look like sensors poss wipers, is there a chance the garage have opted for a cheaper screen or maybe the windscreen fitters have left something unplugged? I’m tempted just to take it back but they’re about 40 miles out and if I take it back to the main dealers I will end up with a bill if it’s down to the windscreen peeps.
15-05-2018 11:15pm
Sharpy1980

.jpeg  C924ED40-095D-4039-AAA8-AB9039D31169.jpeg (Size: 273.58 KB / Downloads: 27)

I have took the covers off around the mirror and all wires are connected, the above attached was meant to be a pic of the top of the screen Mad
16-05-2018 08:07am
XFullFatTim

Then your car doesn’t have a front cam, Topix and dealer spec sheets are often wildly wrong. Lane departure needs a camera to detect the white lines but it won’t be connected to the dash screen. Your only cams will be that one and the reversing cam. I wouldn’t think that a windscreen fitter wouldn’t reconnect a cam if there was one. Just because there is a rear cam and sounders for parking doesn’t give you a front cam, you only get the sensors in the front bumper.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-05-2018 11:40pm
Sharpy1980

I spoke to a family member today who works for a well know windscreen co today and he said that after a windscreen is replaced the cameras are meant to be recalibrated for the lane departure and they have the software to do it but it involves a long drive which I wouldn’t be to pleased about letting someone go for a joy ride especially as typically Screen fitters tend to be quite young,

Back to my front cam I suppose it makes more sense for Topix to be wrong on the spec rather than it have gone missing and it wouldn’t be unheard of to have been on the build but missed off by the factory but I was suspicious of the garage after going to collect the car to find no parcel shelf and mats only to be told it didn’t have any until I told him to look at the photos on their website the cheeky bas****, he soon found them probably out of someone else’s
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2018 04:28am by Sharpy1980.)
17-05-2018 04:26am
XFullFatTim

Is this a franchised LR dealer? All Evoques come with a parcel shelf.......... i’m Not sure about footwell mats though - I think that they are model dependent as to whether or not you get them. Over on RRSport a member has just found he has bought a low miles used car with nearly every option on it yet the dealer only listed it as having a few options. All the unlisted items are electronics that aren’t easy to see visually but also are not standard on any RRS model!

17-05-2018 08:12am
Sharpy1980

No sadly not franchised but a large 4x4 centre I wouldn’t of usually touched them but the car ticked all the boxes for swmbo and we have been looking for “the one” for about a year, she is over the moon with it and if I’m honest it’s grown on me although when it’s my turn to drive it’s the RRS every time,
Funny though we went to the supermarket in the RRS last week and when we come out it wouldn’t start so it was a cab home to get the evoque and a jump box to rescue my car, (fairly new Bosch S5 battery completely failed with no warning)
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2018 11:42pm by Sharpy1980.)
28-05-2018 11:42pm