Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to detailing...
alibeau

New to detailing...

I'm after a bit of advice please....

We used to have a guy that came to our work premises to valet both my Evoque and my Hubby's RRS but unfortunately he has thrown the towel in due to the costs of the franchise he was part of....

With the weather being so awful lately we haven't given a lot of thought to getting the cars cleaned but have used a local hand wash place a couple of times...... Although they *seem* to do a good job I am concerned about keeping my paintwork in tip top condition and am thinking that I would like to get a detailer to give the car a good going over (GTechniq?) and then buy a few products and do the car cleaning myself.....

We both had Supaguard applied when we bought the cars (can't really see any benefit tbh!?!?)... Would this be a problem if we went down the GTechniq route? And any advice on finding someone locally?

Having seen some of the results of detailing on here I think it's pretty clear that our cars could look better than they currently do.......

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
09-07-2012 11:11am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xxxx5

RE: New to detailing...

Firstly a good choice in GTechniq, they are excellent products. A good detailer will strip off the old wax / Supaguard product before applying GT. For a full car(interior, exterior, wheels off etc) to be carefully completed it should take 2-3 days in total.

Have a look at GT website for approved detailers in your area or check out a forum called Detailing World.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
09-07-2012 11:22am
The Valeter

1st thing to do is stay well away from hand car washes, this may be why you can't see any benefit from the Supagaurd (assuming it was applied properly that is!) as the hand car wash place will have stripped it all off with their rubbish products.
For general home maintainance the better quality brands from Halfords will survice.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 11:25am by The Valeter.)
09-07-2012 11:23am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Any previous coating would be removed by a detailer in the preparation process before applying new. So this won't be a problem, but make sure you tell anyone you get to do the car that it has been done so they know what they're working with.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-07-2012 11:26am
WB
WB

I'd thoroughly recommend Gtechniq. Far superior to the dealer applied products and they make keeping the car clean very easy.

You'll only need a pressure washer, two buckets and some GTechniq G-Wash to wash the car (including the wheels). Oh and a lambswool mitt and a separate wheel mitt and a good microfiber drying towel (did I say only?!).

I know GTechniq are talking to Martin about possibly sponsoring the forum and if you PM me I can put you in touch with Rob Earle who owns GTechniq and I'm sure he'll be able to recommend a detailer in your area.
09-07-2012 11:52am
Kimv

(09-07-2012 11:52am)WB Wrote:  I'd thoroughly recommend Gtechniq. Far superior to the dealer applied products and they make keeping the car clean very easy.

You'll only need a pressure washer, two buckets and some GTechniq G-Wash to wash the car (including the wheels). Oh and a lambswool mitt and a separate wheel mitt and a good microfiber drying towel (did I say only?!).

I know GTechniq are talking to Martin about possibly sponsoring the forum and if you PM me I can put you in touch with Rob Earle who owns GTechniq and I'm sure he'll be able to recommend a detailer in your area.

Allthough I'm also a fan of Gtechniq and use quite some of their products, G-Wash is not one of them.. Their products are quite expensive but worth the price for durable things like C1, C2, C5, etc... But for something like a shampoo I think there are good and cheaper alternatives...

That's just my opinion though...

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
09-07-2012 01:00pm
WB
WB

(09-07-2012 01:00pm)Kimv Wrote:  Allthough I'm also a fan of Gtechniq and use quite some of their products, G-Wash is not one of them.. Their products are quite expensive but worth the price for durable things like C1, C2, C5, etc... But for something like a shampoo I think there are good and cheaper alternatives...

That's just my opinion though...

I agree that there are good alternatives to g-wash and I have a couple in my arsenal however to get the most out of the coatings I think its worth paying a little extra to keep to the family of products. I use two (small) capfuls of g-wash per wash so my first bottle has lasted me 6 months - so not really that expensive in reality.

Also if anyone is interested then PM me and I can let you know how to get a discount on all the GTechniq products.

Thanks
William
09-07-2012 01:17pm
kevoque

G-Wash is PH Neutral and to get the best out of the C1 you require to use a ph neutral shampoo as GWash is and far better than other shampoos
10-07-2012 03:54pm
jonty

Agree with WB. Such a small amount of G-wash is needed to do the whole car it seems to last for ever !

Arrived September 16th 2011 - Prestige 5 door SD4 Auto in Orkney Grey
10-07-2012 04:19pm