Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to detailing
Deaky

New to detailing

After being let down by a local detailer I've decided to 'have a go' myself

I have a few products on thier way but I'm just wondering what order to do things in. I have Gtechniq C1 new paintwork kit, clay bar and carnuba wax.

Should I ...

Wash the car
Clay bar
Wash the car
Gtechniq C1
Wax???

Confused
21-06-2012 10:34am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: New to detailing

I'm no expert by any means but this is what i've learnt through some research, and don't take what I say as advice Smile

If you haven't already Read gTechniq : How to Apply

C1 is professional use, so be careful to understand it's properties, and get your prep right and follow the instructions, I think an IPA wipe down is essential to remove all traces of previous waxes and treatments even just a wash/wax by the dealer, you don't know whats on the paint.

I degreased my wheels (not even IPA yet) last night ready for C5 and it's amazing how suddenly you see all the tiny imperfections hidden by polishes, fillers and wax.

Personally I would try some C1 on a test item first, as things like the product solidifying in the applicator pad for example can catch you out.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
21-06-2012 11:44am
Deaky

Thanks Phil. Looks like I need some IPA and more cloths then Shocked
21-06-2012 12:04pm
WB
WB

Hi,

What Phil said.

Also New C1 (assuming you have the kit with C1.5) is much easier to apply so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Depending on the age/condition of the car it's generally advised to polish the car (at least by hand) if it has any swirls etc on the paintwork before you apply the C1. GTechniq's own P1 is a great polish if you don't have one.

Also no real need to use a wax over the C1 - as it won't really add much value. You can layer the C1.5 if you want to.

I'd head over to detailingworld.co.uk where you can get lots of tips and advice.
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2012 12:13pm by WB.)
21-06-2012 12:08pm
Rootsboy

New to detailing

Yes you will need loads of microfibres. The the c1 used ones may have the be thrown away if you dont wash them quick after using c1.
Also drying the car is really important, making sure there are no bits of water about to fall out and mingle with what ever your applying.
I would have a look at the detailing world forum in the gtechniq section for loads of help and advice.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
26-06-2012 10:44am
Evo-king

Any of you planning to do this on your own, I say good luck to you, as this is quite a involved process and a large undercover area is beneficial.

I'm sure if you do it properly it will be well worth it.

I was happy to get an accredited detailer to do mine, he had the expertise, tools/kit and undercover facilities, and I was fortunate to have my car treated with EXO.

My lad is very good at this work and is getting our detailer to do his new car.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
26-06-2012 08:32pm
Mudi1

Just do one panel at a time from start to finish, start on the smaller ones and save the bonnet until last.
26-06-2012 10:43pm
Kimv

Actually when I contacted Gtechniq to order C1 they kind of directed me towards C2 or C1.5 in stead. C1 is actually for professional use only... It is true that C1 is the better product but also more difficult to prep and apply. I didn't want to take that chance... Between C1.5 and C2, just remember that C2 can be dilluted to be used as a quick detailing spray to top up the layer whereas C1.5 is to be used undilluted.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 27-06-2012 12:20pm by Kimv.)
27-06-2012 12:16pm
Evo-king

One other key issue in application, is to do panel end to panel, i.e glass to glass. If you treat one half of the car first then move around to the other side, you may have difficulty when the fresh treatment meets up with your recently applied treatment. So do one whole panel at a time.

Hope you understand this.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
27-06-2012 01:37pm
Deaky

Thanks for all the info folks. Getting close now. Collecting it Friday afternoon. Very Happy
27-06-2012 04:53pm