Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spare wheel boot liner insert..- Advice please.
Farmer Chalk

Spare wheel boot liner insert..- Advice please.

After having to do a second rescue mission with last nights being a 400 mile round trip, with my wife who has the ability to blow the side wall of most of her tyres, I need advice please.
We have a 2015 Evoque with no spare just the tin of gloop …
Obviously once the side wall is gone it’s new tyre time.. but boot has liner in base that doesn’t allow spare to be fitted…
Normally these events are close to home but yesterday she was visiting MIL…who lives in Devon.. we live in Kent ..
RAC refused recovery saying they don’t recover for tyre damage and will charge going rate.. his ‘friendly’ tyre man could put on a budget tyre for £300!
Hence yesterday evening it was load a spare wheel from the shed and have an 8 hour round trip to rescue my wife stuck down a country lane in rural Devon…

In despair I have now tried to look at the fitment of ideally a spare wheel or at worst a space saver.. a superficial look in the boot I can see that I need to remove the foam liner but this was made difficult as the side panels have to come out, plus the dog guard plus the fabric boot protector etc etc..
Has anyone done this job? Is there another foam liner that should be used and anyone got any ideas of part numbers please?
Would be very grateful to hear of your experiences and what are the best components to use?
Many thanks
Ian
29-08-2023 11:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmer Chalk

RE: Spare wheel boot liner insert..- Advice please.

Well sorted this out myself.. easily done, bought a wheel in a bag space saver (a full size will not fit due to flat boot floor)
Loosened the side panels which allowed me to remove the foam insert panels. Laid the new space saver over the top of the panels and marked the size of the wheel .

Then with an old saw cut out the tyre shape out of the panels and set them back in.. not the prettiest but at least now we have a spare wheel! Whoohoo!

The foam inserts cut really easily..so save yourself some money.. easy cheap upgrade..
13-11-2023 10:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply