Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New owner and few questions
335i

New owner and few questions

Hi all

I just bought a 14 Evoque and am picking it up next week.

Still has a little more than two years left on the warranty was wondering if someone has suggestions for a good extended warranty and whens a good time to purchase (age/mileage) wise?

Noticed the brakes almost go to the floor when braking and they would probably need replacing soon and recommendations or stick with OEM?

The silver piece of the trim near glovebox had some dings and marks, where is a good place to buy a replacement?

Does anyone with heated windshield have issues with radar detector? I speed alot and have always used V1 it would suck not to use it in this car. Anyone tint a heated windshield? I imagine its no issue but if someone did it would be nice to hear your experience.

Thank you all
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2016 03:05am by 335i.)
08-01-2016 02:29am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wheels

RE: New owner and few questions

Brake pedal shouldnt go way down. Nothing to do with wear on the pads. Could be a seal that is sticking to a piston, retracting it a bit. Discs not straight, pushing the piston back. Automatic handbrake not function properly. Main brakecylinder have a leak inside, things like this. Can you pump the brake pedal up?
08-01-2016 08:00am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The brake pedal should not go far down the path of travel, the brake pedal should be firm and have some feel so don't drive the car, call the selling dealership and get it looked at under warranty. Brakes are a safety issue but this problem sounds like the dealer didn't prep the car very well even though it is a used one. There are plenty of posts regarding replacing pads but they should last well passed 20,000 miles in normal use.
Radar Detectors - lots of folks report that they won't work, but usually it is because they haven't mounted them in the right place where there is a "hole" in the matrix up by the RVM, unless you have the solar attenuating front screen inwhich case you will have to observe the speed limits. If your car is a 2014 registered but 2015 Model year you may have the ASL feature that my RRS2 has where you can set a maximum speed you don't want to exceed and the car will go no faster.
In the UK and the rest of the EU tinted front screens blocking out more than 25% of daylight are not permitted hence the optional solar attenuating front screen, you don't say where you are but you would need to look in your local market or have a look at some of the posts by Lionhead.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-01-2016 08:07am
PhilSkill

Hi 335i
Yes if in warranty get the brakes looked at, going to the floor is not right, even with worn discs and pads, could just be air in the system or faults like wheels mentions. Some of these should be Warranty items.

Regard trims etc, you can ask Dan and Duckworths, he has a section on here and gives a discount, those sorts of parts can be quite cheap and are special to LR so you'll unlikely find an aftermarket replacement.

LR do an extended warranty but it's quite expensive, there are many aftermarket warranty co's that are probably a better option.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
08-01-2016 10:52am
Clip

Just a word of caution re extended warrantees that aren't genuine manufacturer's warrantee. Not sure about the UK, but in Aus, many of these aren't really warrantees but are insurance type products marketted as 'extended warrantees'. What can happen (as did to an aquantance), you put in a claim one year for a faulty washer bottle, then a few months later your gearbox explodes, but alas, when you go to claim, you've already had one claim, and so the gearbox claim is denied. There are also a lot of other ways they can get out of paying.Just make sure you read the fine print on any extended warrantees, as even those offered by some dealers are these insurance type ones provided by third party underwriters and not the vehicle manufacturer.

I should add that even just last year the Australian Consumer Action group asked the Federal Govt to ban these products and in a report they comissioned stated that 'these warranties include complicated and confusing exclusions and/or a “discretionary risk” clause which allows them to choose whether to pay, even if covered by the warranty otherwise'.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 04:08pm by Clip.)
10-01-2016 03:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you head over to our sister forum RRSport.co.uk and use the search function with "warranty" as the search word there have recently been lots of postings. There seem to be 2 companies that get the thumbs up over there for the coverage and there don't appear to be the restrictions on claims with one of them that Clip mentions. I wouldn't use the search word "extended" in a search over there as RRS will give you a lot of hits for extented off road height suspension. Another place to search is Disco3.co.uk which is also a sister forum of ours and they certainly have loads of posts about extended warranties there too, again D3 and D4 have the same extended height suspension as RRS when offroad, so just use the search word "warranty"

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-01-2016 12:16am