Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Si4 engine misfire fault (2014MY)
Andy915

Si4 engine misfire fault (2014MY)

Picked up the car in mid-December.
Day2 - first misfire, just a couple of hiccoughs really, engine cold.
Day3 - same again. Not too concerned, new engine, it'll settle down...
Day4 - same minor stutter from cold, but then 1hr into the journey - major misfiring, running very rough, amber flashing engine block caution light. Pulled over, engine off, restarted - no warnings, running smoothly. 20mins later same again, stop and restart managed to reset things. Engine then ran fine for the rest of the day (2hrs running).

I returned the car to the dealer and over the next few weeks it was in and out of their hands four times while they tried to trace the fault.
The data log showed a variety of cylinders misfiring at different times, but no clues as to why. They tried swapping and replacing sets of spark pugs and ignition coils, they checked the quality of the fuel in the tank vs the fuel arriving at the cylinders...
At one point the car ran for over 200 miles without a problem and at other times only needed 20 miles before it started misfiring again. It was not proving to be the easiest of faults to pin down!

Land Rover got involved and the investigation continued with their help and advice.
They looked into whether there might be an issue with sensors/wiring on the crankshaft causing the misfire.
After analysing some more test data, they concluded that the car had an intermittent cam sensor fault. So both sensors were replaced.

Total mileage is now 1700. The last 700 miles have been without any misfiring Very Happy
I won't be totally convinced it's fixed until I've done a couple of thousand trouble free miles - but so far, so good!

The other reason I'm optimistic is that the fuel economy has improved quite a lot post-fix. Previously, on a regular 70 mile A-road route, the best mpg I saw was 27-28. Now, on the same route driven in the same way, it's fairly easy to get 32-33 mpg. So I do wonder if the engine wasn't running correctly before, even when it wasn't misfiring...

2014MY Dynamic Si4 Coupe / Lux / Indus silver / Vortex int. / Spare wheel /
10-03-2014 12:41am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Si4 engine misfire fault (2014MY)

Good they've got to the bottom of it. Us Si4 owners are a rare breed in the UK but you're in for a treat as the engine beds in; the car is surprisingly lively, especially when in S mode, and the economy is really not bad.

Of course, you'd get more with an SD4 but you really wouldn't want the clattery noise, the gasping performance, the running out of revs, the mess of filling up with diesel, the DPF nonsense and the higher servicing costs.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
10-03-2014 06:09am
buckiebabyrr

Thanks for the post one to remember hopefully won't get any issues so far a trouble free 400 miles Very Happy

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
10-03-2014 11:18pm
Andy915

Looks like the cam sensor replacement has definitely fixed it.
Total mileage now 2700 and happy to report it's still running smoothly

2014MY Dynamic Si4 Coupe / Lux / Indus silver / Vortex int. / Spare wheel /
25-04-2014 11:09pm