Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need driver side mirror (LHD/RHD question)
335i

Need driver side mirror (LHD/RHD question)

I have a 2014 evoque and hit a mailbox with my drivers side mirror. The mirror is intact but is dangling, the glass and the cover has cracked.

I am looking to replace the mirror asap and have found a bunch of parts in the UK. My question is since my evoque is LHD and the UK cars are RHD would it matter if I buy a "passenger' mirror from RHD evoque and use it on my LHD evoque as the driver mirror?

Would everything be the same and work, I imagine so. Just want to check and the whole assembly is around $200 with everything which isn't too bad but if anyone knows cheaper please let me know
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 09:23pm by 335i.)
08-01-2017 09:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Need driver side mirror (LHD/RHD question)

One thing to watch is that in 2013/2014 there was a "facelift" for the mirrors and hence there are two sizes of cowling and mirror. The earlier cars had slightly larger mirrors that had a blind spot between the door and the mirror, the Mk2 mirror casing has a larger gap between the A pillar and the cowling but the mirror cowling doesn't stick out any further from the car. Other things to watch out for - there are different mirror glasses for different markets, if you have surround cams then there is another casing with the camera mount holes and wiring inside, also I believe in some markets there are manually folded mirrors so no motorised adjustment or folding............ oh and some markets don't get heated mirror glasses!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-01-2017 11:03pm
335i

Upon closer look it seems my mirror cap is fine as is the turn signal, the mirror even folds in and out but swings out and is loosely attached as the part where it attached to the a pillar is cracked too. The glass popped back in and adjusts fine too bad it has a couple of fine cracks.

My evoque is 14 has folding mirrors and heated. I need the housing that is folding, power, and then need the heated glass. Both these parts are relatively inexpensive on eBay. My car is not facelift evoque but it is 14 with facelift mirrors that have the logo and range rover light, am I right in thinking I have facelift mirror?

Another question while I have you here Tim. The evoque is great in the snow I have driven in heavy snow with not so good all season tires and even with them it is a very good truck for the snow.

However something of concern while in heavy snow yesterday around a curve 4x4 became unavailable and the car was very unpredictable, had to turn it off and on and then its fine again. However in snow mode i have noticed when I press more than 25 percent throttle I hear a whining/whiny noise. Is this normal? The truck has been great never been to dealer once have 33k miles on it now.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 11:49pm by 335i.)
08-01-2017 11:45pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Is yours a 2.0ltr Petrol? IIRC 2014MY onwards have a fuel saving device where the car runs in FWD mode until slippage is detected and then it becomes AWD/4WD. It will run in 2WD mode above 23mph and can revert to 4WD in 1/300th of a second........
In the Grass/Gravel and Snow setting of the Terrain Response the ECU will restrict power output if any wheel slippage is detected, until you are used to it this is quite disconcerting but what you heard is possibly the 4WD system sensing slippage and sending power round the transmission system to the wheel/s with most grip by applying the ABS and torque vectoring systems as well as HDC.............. I would think 25% throttle on a slippery surface may be enough to set the system off. The system is very impressive when it is in operation - a few years back I was caught 450 miles from home in my last Range Rover Sport TDV8 on 20" low profile Summer Tyres and thought I might be in for a hard time grip wise but I got all the way from the South of England to the Scottish Border (320 miles) on highways that had been ploughed but with fresh snow on them. At the border with Scotland things changed for the worse as there had been no ploughing and I still had to get over a high range of hills before getting home. Police were stopping and examining all vehicles on the highway and only letting through those shod with winter tyres or SUV/ 4WD and good condition tyres. As I was allowed to proceed the snow got deeper and I found that I just couldn't accelerate the car above about 20mph - a long drive overnight was in prospect. However once clear of abandoned cars there were loads of Land Rovers and Subarus all bombing along overtaking me so I applied more throttle and slowly slowly was able to accelerate up to 55-60mph in GGS mode. This I considered quite fast enough as the problem would be stopping in a hurry with 2.7tonnes of SUV hurtling along! I made it though to the Clyde Valley where there was very little snow lying on the road. At the first service area I pulled in to phone home and tell them I would make it home that night after all. I was followed into the car park by a guy in a Ford Focus. "Wow that was some drive" he commented, so I asked where he had come from "Gretna?" "Oh yes but I have convoyed with you all the way from the south of England figuring that if you could get through then so would I on my new Winter Tyres!" And he had! I asked where he was going to - only another 200 miles further North over the A9 to Inverness. I was able to tell him that he should take the coast route rather than the A9 over the mountains as some Belgium friends of mine were on their way south from Inverness in their RRS but on Mud Terrain tyres and they were one of the last cars to get through before the road was closed. GGS and winter tyres are a good combo for Evoque in slippery conditions BUT never forget that you are driving a car that is relatively heavier than most on the road and it takes a lot of stopping in slippery conditions. I have heard, but not tried it, that engaging HDC can transform stopping on a down grade in snowy conditions too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-01-2017 10:57am