Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mystery Storage Compartments
olde

Mystery Storage Compartments

Has anyone else got these mystery storage compartments? Another post talked about sticking a folding warning triangle into the very long cavity. One of the other cavities might fit an old fashioned flashlight or torch (from back before LED's were invented). The other cavity could be for snuff, maybe?

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
13-03-2012 04:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiggy

RE: Mystery Storage Compartments

Yeah.

the part near the top is for the diesel fuel system protection thing.

So if someone puts a petrol pump into a diesel tank, there's a safety system that doesn't allow any petrol to go into the fuel tank at all. LR supplies a little plastic device that fits into that compartment which allows you to reset the safety system but putting it into the hole for the fuel tank.

Its pretty useful - will put up a picture when I get home - I'm assuming Si4's naturally.. don't get the little device.

Quite a smart little tool actually and safety system.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
13-03-2012 04:49am
sethor

Other one below would be for a locknut key?

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
13-03-2012 04:54am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sethor, YES

The "misfuelling device" as it is known is only a recent piece of kit, I had it on my FFRR but not on any previous diesels and is because in RR's (and a few other marques) putting gasoline into the diesel high pressure fuel system will dissolve the seals and ruin the pump. Car makers in Europe were forced into providing some form of mis-fuelling device because so many people were accidentally filling diesel tanks with gasoline. Misfuelling an RRS will cost around £9000 to repair............... as it usually means a whole new engine and fuelling system. Even LR were not exempt from misfuelling their own test cars - rumour has it that when the TDV8 engine was being developed a lot of the test engines were ruined by misfuelling by the test drivers - the quietness and smoothness of the engine and it's power delivery lulled testers to think they were driving petrol engined cars.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 10:25am by XFullFatTim.)
13-03-2012 10:16am
lngrn36

Interesting. In the states the diameter of the diesel fuel nozzle is larger and therefore will not fit into the orifice provided on petrol cars.

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
13-03-2012 10:47am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It is here too Tim, but that doesn't stop people from placing the gasoline nozzle inside the neck and pumping gas into the tank! It is so easy to do, although so far in 20 years of driving diesels I have not (so far) managed to put the wrong nozzle into the tank.
In years gone by it was quite common in the winter to add a little gas to the diesel to prevent waxing, but now the oil companies sell winter formula diesel with anti-waxing chemicals (al though in extreme cold we still get the odd waxing incident) as adding gas causes too much damage to modern diesel engine fuelling systems.
The system LR uses is quite clever because as soon as you put the gas nozzle into the filler neck of a diesel car a flap closes sealing the tank, hence the need for a resting tool.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2012 10:56am by XFullFatTim.)
13-03-2012 10:52am
chiggy

(13-03-2012 10:47am)lngrn36 Wrote:  Interesting. In the states the diameter of the diesel fuel nozzle is larger and therefore will not fit into the orifice provided on petrol cars.

Its the same here. But its for the other way - putting petrol nozzle into the larger diesel orifice.

nice little system it is. saves you a truckload!

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
13-03-2012 12:13pm
Mag1c_dragon

Wish they had put as much thought into placing useful storage compartments in the inside of the car!

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
13-03-2012 12:30pm
Donny Dog

(13-03-2012 10:52am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The system LR uses is quite clever because as soon as you put the gas nozzle into the filler neck of a diesel car a flap closes sealing the tank, hence the need for a resting tool.

Another daft question - how does it detect the wrong nozzle?
13-03-2012 02:29pm
RacingSnake

it has sensors to detect petrol, rather than diesel.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
13-03-2012 02:45pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply