Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mud Flap fit flop ....
paulus599

Mud Flap fit flop ....

.... or baggy flaps as I've been calling them.
I picked my car up last week and as compensation for the delays my dealer had agreed to supply and fit a set of mud flaps f.o.c. At the time I didn't really see anything wrong with them and probably got caught up with the excitement of it all, however a couple of days in and I noticed that there was a gap between the car bodywork and the mud flaps (photographs here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329...d%20Flaps/ ).
The mrs had to call in to the dealers on Monday with some paperwork that they'd forgotten to get, so while she was there she asked if someone could have a look at them. To give them their due, they took the car straight into the workshop and adjusted them, but when the car came back out it didn't look much better. The car was then taken back into the workshop again, and on it's return, while certainly not perfect, it's a hell of an improvement on the way it was.
The people in the workshop have said that it's a design fault with the mud flaps Rolling Eyes and that they have to stretch them to get them to fit the bodywork. Because of this they then pull away from the sticky tape and a gap opens up. They've actually put more tape and extra fixings (more holes drilled!) to get mine to fit reasonably well, but I just wanted to make people aware of it and to ask those that have cars with them if they have any problems. If not, are we just being being told about this 'design problem' to cover up a poor job? (the dealer actually stated that their showroom car which had them fitted at the factory also had the baggy flap syndrome).

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
(This post was last modified: 21-12-2011 04:48pm by paulus599.)
21-12-2011 04:38pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Mud Flap fit flop ....

Is this 'norm' ? Can anyone else post some photos from the same angles ? I believe my flaps when on this morning! - I will post photos when I get the car.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
21-12-2011 04:59pm
caroline11000

ooooow I see what you mean, not a great fit! I had planned on fitting mud flaps but was debating whether they would or wouldn't stop a lot of the muddy spray up the side of the car so I haven't done any more about getting some fitted (although my car is filthy), not sure I want them if they don't fit snug! Having said that unless you look that closely would you really notice?

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
21-12-2011 05:06pm
paulus599

(21-12-2011 05:06pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  Having said that unless you look that closely would you really notice?

I would now that I know about it. Confused

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
21-12-2011 05:15pm
EVO PUNDITT

Hi guys I fitted my mudflaps on myself and my rear mudflaps were a snug fit (perfect), the front ones a little gap due to the double sided tape was not as close to the edge as it should be .However if you stick a strip of tape there it would give you a snug fit no problem. That bit is a little bit flexible therefore you need the tape nearer the edge.[/b]

Pure: SD4,Manual,pan roof,electric tail gate,reversing cam,tints,xenons (finally), 19" style 4 and in orkney grey 5 door,ebony headliner,f/s/mirrors,Nov build and Dec arrived
21-12-2011 05:15pm
mark_n

Is it the front or rears (or both) which are the problem? Goes without saying that there are different mudflaps for the dynamic and prestige and you need to use the right ones.

I reported some time ago that the fit was poor which is why I didn't get my dealer to fit them. I will do it myself.

It's a bodgers paradise. Sticky tape? The installation instructions don't use it and if they are relying on double sided tape to hold the mud-flaps close to the bodywork, it won't for very long.

Edit: another reference to the tape - perhaps this is used by the Pure and Prestige. On the Dynamic, you cut a hole into the end of the sill extension which provides an extra fixing point. From what I can see, it's important to get that hole in the right place.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 21-12-2011 05:21pm by mark_n.)
21-12-2011 05:17pm
paulus599

The front ones were not that bad (the centre photograph of the three), it's the rears that had the big gap, so odd that you didn't have a problem with them if there really is a 'design problem'.

21-12-2011 05:20pm
ytshome

(21-12-2011 04:38pm)paulus599 Wrote:  .... or baggy flaps as I've been calling them.
I picked my car up last week and as compensation for the delays my dealer had agreed to supply and fit a set of mud flaps f.o.c. At the time I didn't really see anything wrong with them and probably got caught up with the excitement of it all, however a couple of days in and I noticed that there was a gap between the car bodywork and the mud flaps (photographs here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329...d%20Flaps/ ).
The mrs had to call in to the dealers on Monday with some paperwork that they'd forgotten to get, so while she was there she asked if someone could have a look at them. To give them their due, they took the car straight into the workshop and adjusted them, but when the car came back out it didn't look much better. The car was then taken back into the workshop again, and on it's return, while certainly not perfect, it's a hell of an improvement on the way it was.
The people in the workshop have said that it's a design fault with the mud flaps Rolling Eyes and that they have to stretch them to get them to fit the bodywork. Because of this they then pull away from the sticky tape and a gap opens up. They've actually put more tape and extra fixings (more holes drilled!) to get mine to fit reasonably well, but I just wanted to make people aware of it and to ask those that have cars with them if they have any problems. If not, are we just being being told about this 'design problem' to cover up a poor job? (the dealer actually stated that their showroom car which had them fitted at the factory also had the baggy flap syndrome).
See what you mean! I'd be very unimpressed. Have they definitely fitted the correct flaps?

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
21-12-2011 05:24pm
kevoque

Looks as though they have fitted dynamic flaps to your prestige if you ask me!!
I would ask them to see a set of prestige flaps and see the difference you'll find out then!
Best of luck
Kev
21-12-2011 05:42pm
RR1742

I got mud flaps fitted and they are a great fit - but i made sure they ordered and fitted the ones for the Prestige model.
21-12-2011 07:02pm