Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Movies playing on a USB stick
vision*R

RE: Movies playing on a USB stick

If you're not very tech-savvy, the safest thing is probably to buy the official DivX encoder and convert all your videos with it:
http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/converter
Note that the free version only allows you to encode DivX HD videos (mkv), which will not play on the Evoque. You need the Home Theater setting.

There are hundreds of other programs that you can use. Most of them will handle many more formats, but if your primary goal is to target the Evoque, the DivX encoder will be perfect.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 28-12-2011 11:53am by vision*R.)
28-12-2011 11:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wilsonmg

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but can anyone confirm if the tech pack option comes with the abilty to play video as standard, or is this a further option ??

Cheers

Mart
28-12-2011 12:10pm
dandavis1

(28-12-2011 11:31am)vision*R Wrote:  If you're not very tech-savvy, the safest thing is probably to buy the official DivX encoder and convert all your videos with it:
http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/converter
Note that the free version only allows you to encode DivX HD videos (mkv), which will not play on the Evoque. You need the Home Theater setting.

There are hundreds of other programs that you can use. Most of them will handle many more formats, but if your primary goal is to target the Evoque, the DivX encoder will be perfect.

When I purchased the DIVX converter for Mac, it couldn't convert my iTunes/iPhone/iPad friendly mp4/m4v files into Evoque-friendly files. Just a warning from someone who has tried and failed.
29-12-2011 12:36am
pugracer

On a Mac, you can also try this: http://www.ffmpegx.com/index.html

[Image: 116845.png]
Range Rover Evoque - Pure, 5-Door, Si4, Auto, Fuji White/Cirrus
Lotus Elise
Peugeot 206 GTi
29-12-2011 03:09pm
gw76

It worked ! DivX convertor - convert .MKV to .Divx file extension using "home theatre" setting, installed on USB stick and played first time - managed to even get these files to work through the USB port on my Sony Bravia TV also !
Thanks for all tips. Not sure if Ill want to pay for DixV convertor though when trial period runs out !
Any free alternatives ?
Quite a good DIVX video site
http://www.divxcrawler.com/ Ive downloaded a few films, converted and been able to view in the RRE !
(This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 07:17pm by gw76.)
29-12-2011 06:17pm
dandavis1

I still say its pointless if your Evoque doesnt have dual view screen or rear ent. The 10min cut-off without the engine on makes the movie playing capabilities useless. Times one would want to watch a film in the car are like waiting for the wife to whizz around Tesco, waiting for the kids to come out from school, on a ferry, on the Eurostar etc. etc. Not times you also want the engine ticking over.

If my MacBook can play a DVD for 6hrs, I don't see why the Evoque - with it's massive battery - cant last longer than 10mins.
29-12-2011 07:17pm
defender_uk

(29-12-2011 07:17pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  I still say its pointless if your Evoque doesnt have dual view screen or rear ent. The 10min cut-off without the engine on makes the movie playing capabilities useless. Times one would want to watch a film in the car are like waiting for the wife to whizz around Tesco, waiting for the kids to come out from school, on a ferry, on the Eurostar etc. etc. Not times you also want the engine ticking over.

If my MacBook can play a DVD for 6hrs, I don't see why the Evoque - with it's massive battery - cant last longer than 10mins.

+1

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
29-12-2011 07:22pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

@dandavis1 - can u pls get yr wife to teach my wife how to 'whizz' around the supermarket! Laughing
Actually, hasn't dandavis1 hit on the easiest solution - just buy an iPad!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 08:13pm by cjfp.)
29-12-2011 07:56pm
BOBM4N

If only Land Rover had collaborated with Apple on this car.... Your Evoque comes with an iPad which forms the main console running a pre-loaded Evoque app.

In the meantime it does everything else an iPad does (limited while plugged in obviously - safety first) and when you park up you simply 'eject' it and off you go.

Finally Arrived 06/02/12 Very Happy :

Dynamic SD4 Auto - Fuji White/Vortex, Pan Roof, Privacy
14-02-2012 06:07pm
J77

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but can a standard pure screen play films?

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-02-2012 08:05pm