Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motor sheared off steering rack on 2014 Pure
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Motor sheared off steering rack on 2014 Pure

Part of the Lookers empire - could be worse it could be one of the very few JLR dealerships that are part of the Arnold Clark empire.......... I use Morrisons Land Rover of Bannockburn now absorbed into Pentland which is the John Clark group I think and they have been excellent over the last 30 years of LR owning....... up to last year when I sold my last RRS

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-08-2019 01:34am by XFullFatTim.)
18-08-2019 01:33am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ronnbiss

Good morning. Stumbled on this forum as I seem to have the same issue: wife went to take our 14 plate Evoque out of the garage and horrible grinding sound on turning the steering wheel without any dashboard warning lights. Currently waiting for the RAC flat-bed to take it to Parks. So also Scotland! Is there something in the air?

Interested to know if anyone has had more luck getting JLR to contribute to costs as I intend to try the same once the problem is confirmed. Electric power steering went on my Peugot last year and was replaced fully by Peugot as an acknowedged problem with model and year. I liked life better when cars were simple!
07-10-2019 10:07am
argyll

(07-10-2019 10:07am)ronnbiss Wrote:  Good morning. Stumbled on this forum as I seem to have the same issue: wife went to take our 14 plate Evoque out of the garage and horrible grinding sound on turning the steering wheel without any dashboard warning lights. Currently waiting for the RAC flat-bed to take it to Parks. So also Scotland! Is there something in the air?

Interested to know if anyone has had more luck getting JLR to contribute to costs as I intend to try the same once the problem is confirmed. Electric power steering went on my Peugot last year and was replaced fully by Peugot as an acknowedged problem with model and year. I liked life better when cars were simple!

That sounds like the issue described in this thread. I spent a deal of time researching it, looking at the recall that took place in Canada for corrosion due to salting of the roads in winter. I found JLR very reasonable in dealing with me on this. Partly I think because I was well informed and this forum helped with that, and I suppose partly because I explained that my disco sport is the one of many JLR cars I've owned from new. The final settlement was JLR agreed to pay 80% of the costs. I was left with just under £500 to contribute which I was unhappy with but also realistic that it was a fair settlement. Hope this helps.
07-10-2019 10:16am
ronnbiss

[quote='argyll' pid='117342' dateline='1570439786']

Thanks for the prompt response. Your comments about salt and Canada may well explain part of the problems especially as I live well north of the "snow line"!

80% sounds pretty reasonable and if I get that I would be happy. It is always worth googling these things as that is how I discovered that Peugot would replace their motor for free. So internet forums do have their uses.

Thanks again. I will update as and when I get a response from JLR as it may help others.
07-10-2019 10:28am
bee

Would it be good advice for all owners of this model to have the bolts replaced with the steel coated updated bolts.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
07-10-2019 07:39pm
ronnbiss

(07-10-2019 07:39pm)bee Wrote:  Would it be good advice for all owners of this model to have the bolts replaced with the steel coated updated bolts.

Quick update as I have just had a call back from Parks. Confirmed the source of the problem being the bolts so I would certainly recommend anyone with a similar age of vehicle having the bolts replaced to prevent a future big bill. Especially if salt corrosion is a potential problem.

Cost-wise the new rack is £3250 and JLR have offered to pay 50%. This apparently is based on the age of the vehicle, years out of warranty etc. Not too bad but short of the 80% mentioned by Argyll. Might try pushing a bit further!
08-10-2019 12:04pm
ronnbiss

Going direct to JLR and then being patched back to Parks I got them up to 60%.

Spoke to the local service manager about replacing bolts to prevent the issue. His advice was that this may not prevent failure as the motor housing and rack are similar alloys and if the bolts didn't go then the mountings would go instead with the same result. Not sure if that helps at all really!
08-10-2019 01:11pm
bee

I better get saving then.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
08-10-2019 07:29pm
olade01

My 2014 Range Rover Evoque has just experienced the same problem. It's now getting fixed at the closest garage at a cost of £3,400 inclusive of VAT. I emailed the CEO and i got a reply and a call back - but it was all aimed at backing me off.

I have emailed BBC panorama on this subject and I believe we own a duty of care on this forum to ensure people don't experience this issues such - a fault that could cause fatal accidents. Imagine this happening while in motion - I believe we should count ourselves lucky.

Please contact me if you want us to collaboratively address this act of negligence
13-11-2019 09:50am
amywilliamson815

that's great
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2019 03:07pm by amywilliamson815.)
19-11-2019 03:06pm