Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mobile Phone scam (again)
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mobile Phone scam (again)

Have had calls on my mobile from what looks like an overseas number +95 748396. Instead of answering it I googled the number and find it is a scam that costs you £1.25 if you answer it (how cvan you be charged for answering a call??, but don't call the number back or you will be charged for an international call) Interesting comment on the website is that even if you block the number it will still call you back with a couple of changed digits.
https://www.facebook.com/ngregoryfloorin...5819234977

In case you are wondering, +95 not being a memorable International dialing code, the country that has it as a dialing code is Mayanmar formerly known as Burma - I suspect someone is using clever number disguising software that has been mentioned on several Comsumer programs recently.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 05:25pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-11-2014 05:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JimWooly

RE: Mobile Phone scam (again)

I also had a call from +95 748396 yesterday but as with all calls I don't recognise, I ignored it then checked it out via Google and found that many folk had been called by them and if the call was returned it was answered then the call was terminated.

I always ignore any call from an unrecognised number believing that if it was important they would leave a message.

[Image: 298252.png]
04-11-2014 06:24pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Unfortunately I get a lot of incoming international calls, that number was on my missed calls list yesterday and today and also isn't the usual long number that most numbers are. I also ignored it and blocked it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-11-2014 10:47pm
m_101

Not sure if this is correct - I got this call a few days ago and answered it - don't think you can be billed if the call is from a non UK number. My vodafone online account certainly doesn't show any charges.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
04-11-2014 11:35pm
PhilSkill

I got a call the other day, they just said "Our records show you were involved in an accident in the last 2.5 years" to which I replied, "No I havent" and put the phone down, I was annoyed for anyone that has as they were obviously preying randomly on the vulnerable!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-11-2014 12:53am
fam1x

You can sign up to TPS which is free and they will block any calls like that for you.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
05-11-2014 12:57pm
recordman

(05-11-2014 12:57pm)fam1x Wrote:  You can sign up to TPS which is free and they will block any calls like that for you.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

I don't think that TPS can prevent foreign calls. I keep being pestered with calls from India and am registered with TPS.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
05-11-2014 02:34pm
PhilSkill

Yep I'm registered with TPS too, generally I get very few.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-11-2014 02:59pm
cornelia

(04-11-2014 05:13pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Have had calls on my mobile from what looks like an overseas number +95 748396. Instead of answering it I googled the number and find it is a scam that costs you £1.25 if you answer it (how cvan you be charged for answering a call??, but don't call the number back or you will be charged for an international call) Interesting comment on the website is that even if you block the number it will still call you back with a couple of changed digits.
https://www.facebook.com/ngregoryfloorin...5819234977

In case you are wondering, +95 not being a memorable International dialing code, the country that has it as a dialing code is Mayanmar formerly known as Burma - I suspect someone is using clever number disguising software that has been mentioned on several Comsumer programs recently.

Thanks for the heads up! I did hear about this type of scam in the news, said the calls originated from outside US. Scammers spoof caller IDs to make a fake phone number appear on the victim's caller ID. Be warned everyone!

I read from https://www.callercenter.com/blg/article...aller-ids/ that nuisance callers can easily spoof caller IDs. And what's surprised me more is when I learned who's actually providing the tool to facilitate spoofing! How is it even allowed????
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 03:29pm by cornelia.)
05-11-2014 03:28pm