Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Meridian Stereo
gomark

Meridian Stereo

Most of you clever people may have already worked this out. As much as I felt that the speakers delivered a great sound, I felt that the lack of control over the sound settings inhibited me finding the 'right' sound connection. I like to feel that I am sitting in the middle of the wall of sound.

Then I had a play with the surround sound buttons on top that was set to the Meridian option as default, and realised that the sound was being created as if i was watching a cinema screen with surround sound, with the vocals coming the front and backing from the side and a bit from behind. When I turned the surround sound off, then boom! The way I like to listen to music is as if I'm sat in the middle of the whirlwind of sound, rather than as a spectator watching from behind.

Probably preaching to the converted, but if you haven't had a play, try turning surround sound off and you might find that music starts to immerse you in the middle rather than the feeling I had of being an observer as if you were watching a film with surround sound.

19-01-2012 09:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cedric

RE: Meridian Stereo

Thanks for the tip. I haven't got it yet, but it's something I will surely take into account. I wasn't overwhelmed with the system in the prestige I tested. It's usually better to get rid of all the gizmo's, effects, ... to get a nice, natural sound. The only thing I usually do is pump up the bass and treble a little bit.

Do you have the 825W system as I have the feeling it has more surround options?
19-01-2012 09:58pm
gomark

Meridian Stereo

(19-01-2012 09:58pm)Cedric Wrote:  Thanks for the tip. I haven't got it yet, but it's something I will surely take into account. I wasn't overwhelmed with the system in the prestige I tested. It's usually better to get rid of all the gizmo's, effects, ... to get a nice, natural sound. The only thing I usually do is pump up the bass and treble a little bit.

Do you have the 825W system as I have the feeling it has more surround options?

Hi Cedric

I do have the 825W stereo. Was disappointed that there was not more tweaking options with the upgraded system, but happier now that I tried that choice. Feel more connected with the music now!

20-01-2012 09:36pm
Straydox

(20-01-2012 09:36pm)gomark Wrote:  Hi Cedric

I do have the 825W stereo. Was disappointed that there was not more tweaking options with the upgraded system, but happier now that I tried that choice. Feel more connected with the music now!

On the 825w version you have the Meridian Tri-field option which is supposed to give every occupant a stereo image rather than the normal 'sat off-centre' perception. Have you tried it?

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
21-01-2012 01:49am
colski

There isn't that option on the regular setup
21-01-2012 02:22am
gomark

Meridian Stereo

(21-01-2012 01:49am)Straydox Wrote:  On the 825w version you have the Meridian Tri-field option which is supposed to give every occupant a stereo image rather than the normal 'sat off-centre' perception. Have you tried it?

Is that in the surround sound presets?

If it is that Meridian option, that's the default I didn't like. Throws the sound up to the front of the car as you would expect if you watching TV.

21-01-2012 11:07pm
Straydox

(21-01-2012 11:07pm)gomark Wrote:  Is that in the surround sound presets?

If it is that Meridian option, that's the default I didn't like. Throws the sound up to the front of the car as you would expect if you watching TV.

Yes - that's the one - have a read of this Meridian PDF and look on the last page Meridian Evoque PDF

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
22-01-2012 01:16am
griff

So in folks opinion what is the best setting for rock music and then classical music in the evoque.
I would assume using the default settings of Trifield (Meridian button) and balance box in default blue position.

I'm not sure what difference increasing treble, bass and subwoofer does but I tend to have Higher treble then increased bass and subwoofer in that order.

What do folks suggest?

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
22-01-2012 09:51am
gomark

Meridian Stereo

Try switching the Meridian setting. Off I find the sound far to focussed on the front speaker. Fairly neutral on the eq settings.

22-01-2012 12:50pm
tetstb

I find the bass much more effective when using the Meridian surround option, Life In High Definition by George Benson sure gives it a good test.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
22-01-2012 01:35pm