Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual vs Automatic
Wayne'o

RE: Manual vs Automatic

I got my manual on Friday, I was a bit dubious when I was looking at a RR about getting a manual box as thought the gear changes etc would be sluggish and heavy however after test driving it and now using it since Friday I'm delighted I got the manual the get changes are light and short, I can change gears only using 1 finger, but I've never been that keen on automatic either
01-06-2015 07:45am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sorcerer

(31-05-2015 09:44pm)AndyFrance Wrote:  I had almost decided to change my order to auto box tomorrow morning until I read a post today from a lady whose 2015 Autobiography from day 1 has had auto gear change problems.

Now, after reading your post, auto is on hold, going to stick with the manual. I can't be doing with ongoing software updates. The car should be 100% when it leaves the factory, end of.

Cheers sorcerer, your post nailed it bud!

I am sure there will be many people who disagree with my opinion through my experience, but that's what it is.
They say you wont go back to a manual car after an auto......I would in the case of the Evoque, but after owning three of them, I am not going for a fourth.
Good luck.
01-06-2015 02:29pm
walterwindbag

The only thing I would say Andy - if you ever want to sell it you will find it a lot easier to sell an Auto than a Manual. Ask any dealer.
'People' want Automatics and glass roofs.
BR
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
02-06-2015 10:48am
Bill

(02-06-2015 10:48am)walterwindbag Wrote:  The only thing I would say Andy - if you ever want to sell it you will find it a lot easier to sell an Auto than a Manual. Ask any dealer.
BR
Walt

I went for the manual and have not been disappointed. The dealer did call me after I had placed my order asking why not an automatic as I was the only manual order they'd ever had. The main reasoning for me was spending my hard earned cash on other extras, quickly followed by the numerous problems I'd heard of with software etc

Now with Dynamic TD4, 5 door, Kaikora Stone, manual, tech & comfort packs
02-06-2015 12:09pm
AndyFrance

(02-06-2015 10:48am)walterwindbag Wrote:  The only thing I would say Andy - if you ever want to sell it you will find it a lot easier to sell an Auto than a Manual. Ask any dealer.
BR
Walt

Hi Walt,

You like winding people up and I like biting + you make me smile mate.

Well, the auto/pano argument may be true for the UK, but it’s a different market here.

The way I look at it is this. Substitute the word ‘Dealer’ for Salesman. It’s in their financial interest to say ‘People’ want auto/pano. They are both options, which = commission. My argument is, LR make cars with a plain roof and a manual gearbox. Would they do that if there was no market?

I cannot be convinced, swayed or influenced by anybody who’s working on commission. I bought the car I wanted, the salesman didn’t sales pitch sell it to me. So, as long as the salesman takes my order and delivers it, I consider him to be only a necessary evil. If LR were taking order’s by phone, I would’ve called them.

I don’t want a pano because it gets too hot in the summer for a glass roof where I live. In fact, you rarely see car’s with sun roofs here. Mind you, I’m surrounded by bloody tractor’s!

Do people really buy car’s thinking about resale a year or three down the line? Sad if they do. Buy what you want, not what you think someone else will want. You’ll enjoy it more.

I’ve now decided to stick with the manual…………Am I concerned that I could be reducing the number of potential buyer’s by doing so....……….Am I £^€K!!!!!

Cheers
Andy
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 05:24pm by AndyFrance.)
02-06-2015 05:22pm
PhilSkill

The Manual's just great... stick with it, Short shift, positive feel, great driving experience, I cant stand the fake paddle shifts that sort of change when you want them, if it has a downside it'll be in the off-road functions, which take a bit more skill to master, and it can feel quite a big car in traffic when crawling start stop in the Manual.

The die-hards say RR's should be an Automatic, but the Evoque is no ordinary RR, and soon all cars will be Automatics to meet further crazy emissions targets, so Enjoy your manual while you can!

Sadly the next car into my fold is an Auto, "Boo...", but it's leased so not the same as my long term ownership cars like my Evoque will be.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-06-2015 10:25pm
walterwindbag

Yes Andy, I was forgetting you live in the land of the 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' It prob does get a tad hotter there than leafy Warwickshire and you're certainly right about buying what you want/like.
Myself I prefer Brittany - bit more of that fresh Atlantic air about. If you close your eyes you could be in Devon/Cornwall but without the traffic - apart from the shops being closed all the time! But the bread is sublime!!
We did think of moving for our retirement until the French set out on their NHS/tax the foreigners thang.
Still, all the best with your manual; I suppose you won't have to face 20 mile queues on the M6 round Birmingham with 1,000 clutch actions per mile! I can't be arsed with that any more. I find steering a bit of a fag as well but I'll be long dead before Mr Google sorts out a car you can sit in the back of on your own.
If money was no object I'd prob buy a Bentley Coupe but I can't afford the gas or the servicing. My mate's buying a 5 year old one for not much more than I'm paying for the Evoque. I'm hoping for his sake it doesn't break.
Laters
Walt.

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
03-06-2015 08:59am
walterwindbag

Andy, you're lurking. I haven't offended you now have I?
Walt.

04-06-2015 03:19pm
AndyFrance

(04-06-2015 03:19pm)walterwindbag Wrote:  Andy, you're lurking. I haven't offended you now have I?
Walt.

No Walt, not in a million years..........I've been busy planning my escape. I'm off to Calais, going to smuggle myself back over and claim asylum. With the cost of the new Evoque, I'll have to sponge off you lot till it's paid off.........Gotta shoot mate, off to dealership......Now looking at the Autobiography.

Cheers
Abdullah
04-06-2015 03:35pm
walterwindbag

(04-06-2015 03:35pm)AndyFrance Wrote:  No Walt, not in a million years..........I've been busy planning my escape. I'm off to Calais, going to smuggle myself back over and claim asylum. With the cost of the new Evoque, I'll have to sponge off you lot till it's paid off.........Gotta shoot mate, off to dealership......Now looking at the Autobiography.

Cheers
Abdullah

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Walt

04-06-2015 03:45pm