Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual vs Automatic
AndyFrance

Manual vs Automatic

Hi,

On order TD4 manual, but keep thinking of changing to the auto box. Car will be driven 99.9% on road.

What’s stopping me changing? Wife doesn’t care much for automatic, but then again she won’t be driving it that often. The extra cost, but that's not really a big factor. Main reason: The various posts regarding the software problems/updates with the auto.

Most poster's with signature appear to have the auto version. Is that just personal preference, or is the car more suited to and drives better with auto?

Anyone willing to stand up in support of the manual box over the auto box, or give their personal experience of either?

Cheers
30-05-2015 10:00am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kojak

RE: Manual vs Automatic

Hi Andy,
I have had both and perhaps for me there is some novelty in owning my first automatic but I feel it suits the car better.

I loved the manual (except 1st to 2nd but that is the same with all boxes for me).
In comparison the to the 6 speed automatic it was far more economical returning around 40mpg on mixed roads and traffic conditions.
The 6 speed auto had a fair few critics and it was said it couldn't make up its mind what gear to be in.
Each time I had a courtesy car, I thought the 6 speed auto was OK but I didn't have to live with it.
It was the 9 speed auto on the last courtesy car and test drive that made me change.
2 reasons were..
It felt more luxurious than the manual (I don't know why).
It returned at least as much as my manual on the MPG front.

I got hooked but had reservations over reliability and continuos updates but took the plunge.
Touch wood, it's been hassle free and enjoyable returnuning an extra couple of MPG into the bargain than my manual.
But I know this is dependant on driving style and distance.

I wouldn't go back if I had the choice.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 01:04pm by Kojak.)
30-05-2015 01:01pm
Stadt Panzer

For me it's not an option, I've had the 6 speed auto and I'm on my second car with the 9 Speed box. All three have been perfect, never had a problem with any of them.

My D3 (wow years ago) was my first ever auto and I would never go back, the wife got her first auto box last November and she'll never go back to a manual.

Driving an auto is just more relaxing.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
30-05-2015 03:28pm
doug

It's a Range Rover it has to be a Auto + the 0 to 60 time is better Smile

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 04:31pm by doug.)
30-05-2015 04:30pm
MrNoo

I think ultimately it comes down to personal preference and perhaps what sort of driving you do. I prefer manuals - mines a manual, as is my MX-5 (and also my wife's MINI Cooper) but then I do a lot of motorway miles (probably about 75% of the miles I drive in the Evoque are on the motorway) where I don't think it makes much difference whether you go manual or auto but if you did a lot of town or city driving then probably an auto would be better. Manuals are more engaging - that's why Jaguar have recently offered a manual box in the F Type.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
30-05-2015 05:20pm
AndyFrance

Thanks everyone.

I’ve been out all day, but I had read Kojak's post before I returned home and that started me thinking.

I must say, I’m all but sold on going for the auto after also reading the other post’s, but as MrNoo said, manual is more engaging and I agree with that point.

I sort of put the ‘auto’ idea to the wife while out driving today. Must admit, it didn’t go down too well, with her refusing to ever drive it. But, then again, that could be a blessing in disguise (sorry ladies). I broke the silence that followed (always follows) by saying that the car had gear change paddles, to which she slightly softened her stance. Now I need someone to confirm that the paddles are a Godsend, and Andy, your wife will forever thank you for changing to auto (perhaps not that bit).

Anyone use the paddles, or just a gimmick that wears off after 5 minutes?
30-05-2015 10:17pm
Kojak

Personally...very rarely.
Occasionally I shift by one either up or down when arguing with the gearbox that it should have already changed. It occasionally shrugs its shoulders and says yeah yeah what ever.....so I show it who is boss.

Now be fore they come and take me away ha ha,
I'm sure your wife will soften when she has a hand free to do her lipstick in the mirror Wink

Too much?
Sorry Mrs Andy.

But seriously, the auto will win her over too, and the paddles could suffice in the mean time.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
30-05-2015 10:38pm
Koidream

The question is not "Do we use the paddles?" but "Do we have paddles? Smile
In other words, I never used them in none of my cars with automatic gearbox.
My wife also wanted to drive with a stick in her hand, untill years ago she drove her first automatic. Since then her only demand for a new car is "It will be an automatic or we stick by the old car"...
Hope this helped to make the right choice.

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
(This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 04:35am by Koidream.)
31-05-2015 04:34am
sorcerer

Having had all three....the 6 speed auto, 6 speed manual and 9 speed auto, my absolute favourite was the manual version.
The auto's.....and this is just my opinion, change gear in the wrong places, hold onto the gear too long sometimes and are too slow changing when you put your foot down. They may be slightly quicker, but the manual changes gear when you want it to, so you are in total control.
That's not to say I don't like auto gearboxes with flappy paddles, because I really do, but in a performance car, not the Evoque!
31-05-2015 09:33pm
AndyFrance

(31-05-2015 09:33pm)sorcerer Wrote:  Having had all three....the 6 speed auto, 6 speed manual and 9 speed auto, my absolute favourite was the manual version.
The auto's.....and this is just my opinion, change gear in the wrong places, hold onto the gear too long sometimes and are too slow changing when you put your foot down. They may be slightly quicker, but the manual changes gear when you want it to, so you are in total control.
That's not to say I don't like auto gearboxes with flappy paddles, because I really do, but in a performance car, not the Evoque!

I had almost decided to change my order to auto box tomorrow morning until I read a post today from a lady whose 2015 Autobiography from day 1 has had auto gear change problems.

Now, after reading your post, auto is on hold, going to stick with the manual. I can't be doing with ongoing software updates. The car should be 100% when it leaves the factory, end of.

Cheers sorcerer, your post nailed it bud!
31-05-2015 09:44pm