Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual states that winter tyres are NOT needed?!
Gorjan

In the Winter Tyres Section of the owner's manual, it is stated that the fitted M+S tyres are sufficient:

"M+S tyres have a recognised level of winter performance and need not be replaced."

Manufacturers owner manuals usually warn against all kind of things and make you do things to be on the safest side possible so they will protect themslves if something happened, so the above claim was a bit strange to me...

Many sources i have read state that M+S are a compromise and dont nearly offer the performance (traction, braking distance..) of real snow tyres. Is this marketing from tyre companies so we buy winter tyees?

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 11:28am by Gorjan.)
31-10-2012 11:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

RE: Manual states that winter tyres are NOT needed?!

Dunno, but I've been on two LR Experience days and the instructors have upheld the belief that Land Rover's don't really need dedicated winter tyres.

That's not to say winter tyres wouldn't be an improvement, but I was told I would get by just fine with the standard tyres.

I've had a Discovery 4 and the Evoque for the last 3 winters on standard tyres and never had a problem at all - and that's in a reasonably hilly area.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 11:34am by Coolbanana.)
31-10-2012 11:32am
griff

I have the Pirelle Verde all season tyres which came with my Evoque and I to checked whilst at LRE and with my dealer who, unusually as you would not expect them to miss a trick, confirmed that the tyres fitted would be suitable in most circumstances and I did not need to buy winter tyres.

So I haven't.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
31-10-2012 11:45am
andrey1302

I also have the pirellis, they are good but with the snow on the road they were starting to slide

Definitely Evoque will move in snow with standard tries, but stopping would be a different story...

Fuji 3 dr Pure SD4
[Image: 124851.png]
31-10-2012 12:17pm
FujiSan

(31-10-2012 11:45am)griff Wrote:  I have the Pirelle Verde all season tyres which came with my Evoque and I to checked whilst at LRE and with my dealer who, unusually as you would not expect them to miss a trick, confirmed that the tyres fitted would be suitable in most circumstances and I did not need to buy winter tyres.

So I haven't.

My dealer says the same thing, so at least they are being somewhat consistent. I also have the Scorpion M+S's

Probably going to be just fine for UK winters anyway.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
31-10-2012 12:34pm
speary

Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that 19" and smaller wheels have M&S tyres which will be fine on snow Very Happy but the 20" wheels have summer tyres which will be crap on snow Sad

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
31-10-2012 01:35pm
griff

(31-10-2012 01:35pm)speary Wrote:  Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that 19" and smaller wheels have M&S tyres which will be fine on snow Very Happy but the 20" wheels have summer tyres which will be crap on snow Sad
I believe this is so - style over functionality Laughing

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
31-10-2012 03:50pm
Coolbanana

(31-10-2012 03:50pm)griff Wrote:  I believe this is so - style over functionality Laughing

Aha! But! My Evoque on 20" wheels was just fine last winter - up steep icy roads where the odd Beemer failed, the RRE in summer tyres had no probs. Thumbs Up

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
31-10-2012 04:14pm
Stadt Panzer

M&S symbol on a tyre does not mean its fit for snow. Any manufacture can put M&S on the side wall if they think its fit that purpose, they undergo no testing at all. Only tyres with the snow flake symbol on the side wall have been tested and deemed fit for snow and ice road conditions. I have 20" summer tyres on at the moment but having my winter tyres fitted on Sat on black 18" rims.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 06:20pm by Stadt Panzer.)
31-10-2012 06:18pm
IKM

(31-10-2012 06:18pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  M&S symbol on a tyre does not mean its fit for snow. Any manufacture can put M&S on the side wall if they think its fit that purpose, they undergo no testing at all. Only tyres with the snow flake symbol on the side wall have been tested and deemed fit for snow and ice road conditions. I have 20" summer tyres on at the moment but having my winter tyres fitted on Sat on black 18" rims.
I totally agree, M&S are a compromise between summer and winter ..... i.e. not optimal for either season. I'm already set to fit 18" rims and winter (snow flake symbol) tyres next week.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 09:35pm by IKM.)
31-10-2012 09:35pm