Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Man dies at JLR plant in Halewood
DDX

Man dies at JLR plant in Halewood

Sad news as a JLR employee dies after sustaining injuries at the Halewood plant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-mer...e-15072293

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
27-09-2011 08:06am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoque U

RE: Man dies at JLR plant in Halewood

Very sad
Thoughts go out to his family

Si4 5 door Prestige,Fuji white,spirit interior,prestige tech pack,adaptive dynamics, heated seats,keyless entry,park assist,surround cameras,panoramic roof,adaptive xenon headlamps.aftermarket 20" Wheels

Living the dream since 10/3/12
27-09-2011 08:16am
flurberman

Very sad news.

Orkney Grey, Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, 20" shadow chrome wheels, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, TPMS & contrast panoramic roof.
27-09-2011 08:25am
mark_n

Yes, very sad for the man's family, friends and colleagues.

After visiting there last week, there's no doubt they take H&S extremely seriously and I as a visitor had to wear a yellow jacket and protective glasses. There are guided walkways for people to follow to keep out of the way of fork lifts and of course all the robotic work is cordoned off with interlocks and warning signs.

Impossible to know what happened of course.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
27-09-2011 08:40am
DDX

Which vehicles are build at Halewood apart from the Evoque?

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
27-09-2011 10:26am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Only Freelander2, Evoque took over the space freed up when the Jaguar X type ceased production

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-09-2011 10:28am
mark_n

One news report refers to the man being freed after being trapped. That perhaps suggests something fell on him or else he became tangled in the mechanisation. Pointless to speculate of course but underlines the fact that behind the cars we are eagerly waiting for or already enjoying, there are real people with real families and real lives. Or in this case, real tragedy and real loss.

Mark

27-09-2011 06:54pm
Urban Splash

AN INQUIRY was underway today following the tragic death of dad-of-two Graham Begley at Merseyside’s Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) plant.

An ambulance arrived at the Halewood factory within six minutes of receiving a report a man was trapped, just after 8pm yesterday.

Specially-trained paramedics freed Mr Begley, who was taken by ambulance to Whiston Hospital suffering multiple injuries but was pronounced dead at 10.30pm.

It is believed hewas crushed between two heavy pieces of machinery being moved by a crane.

Mr Begley, 49, from Halewood, had worked at the plant for more than 20 years.

Sources said the car-making tools known as “dies” involved in the tragedy are used to press steel into shape and weigh about 30 tons.

Mr Begley, a dad to two grown-up children, worked at the plant as a die-setter and was described by sources as a “big affable guy”.

It is believed to be the first fatality caused by an accident at the plant in around 30 years.

Merseyside Police confirmed a joint investigation with the Health and Safety Executive was underway. Senior JLR executives also travelled to the plant from the Midlands.

Liverpool Echo

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
27-09-2011 07:06pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

How very very sad.
27-09-2011 07:17pm
mark_n

Thanks for the update. I was told last week when visiting the press shop where I suppose the accident occurred that the dies can take 4 hours to change in the worst case. One aspect which I am sure will be investigated is whether pressure to keep up production rates has lead to corner cutting. I certainly hope not.

Mark

27-09-2011 07:19pm