Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Low Battery
Token

Low Battery

Hi all

When I popped into the shop yesterday the kids wanted to stay in the car so I turned the tv on for them with the ignition off and a warning message came up on the screen saying that it would turn off in 3 minutes due to a low battery.

Any else experienced this?

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
01-04-2012 12:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gw76

RE: Low Battery

Yes. Have a look using the search. Think essentially its an over-egged warning and nothing more.
01-04-2012 12:53pm
Sarcastrix

Both my Audi & BMW's to this too, I concur with gw - the warnings are a little overzealous.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
01-04-2012 06:17pm
The Valeter

(01-04-2012 12:53pm)gw76 Wrote:  Yes. Have a look using the search. Think essentially its an over-egged warning and nothing more.

No it's not as mine said this twice and then the car wouldn't start. Mad

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
19-07-2012 12:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

The 10 minute warning seems a standard feature to stop the entertainment system draining the battery, yes probably over zelous.

If it's the 3 minute warning most likely a faulty alternator. That's what mine was and another Evoque the dealer fixed the day before mine with exactly the same symptoms.

Check the thread Yet another problem LOW BATTERY WARNING.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
19-07-2012 08:38am
WB
WB

Mine does it but it's intermittent!! Care is going in to the dealer so we'll see what they think
19-07-2012 01:21pm
The Valeter

Mine is booked in on Monday.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
19-07-2012 03:25pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ytshome

Hi there. Exactly he same happened to me. It was the alternator charging insufficiently.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
19-07-2012 09:41pm
Westy

My understanding about this is related to the battery performance of cars with stop start and regenerative energy systems.

The batteries are special and have to have spare capacity to absorb the energy on overrun and hence the battery performance level is designed to be lower than a normal battery, hence manufacturers are putting these shut down timers on to prevent the performance from falling that bit too much. As you all know today's technology is all about compromises.

I have a friend who works for banner batteries and he explained this to me recently, can't remember the name for the new batteries but will dig it out, he has a new Volvo V60 and that has a small 12v battery next to the normal 12 v battery, like a motorbike battery to allow the basics to work when the stop start kicks in.

I will find out the technology and share it with the forum

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
19-07-2012 10:46pm
mark_n

Dual batteries are hardly new. My 10 year old SL55 AMG has a battery in the boot to power all the non-essentials and a separate battery in the front with zero external static drain to start the car if the other is flat because it's been standing at an airport for weeks.

The issue is that lead acid batteries are designed to provide the very high currents required to crank the engine - itself made more difficult with diesel engines and in the cold - and not to power anciliaries for a long time without compromising their ability to start the car.

So, there's a time limit for the stereo. Better that than getting a reputation for flat batteries and AA/RAC call-outs.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-07-2012 11:17pm