Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking to Purchase
nigeld

Looking to Purchase

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I've currently got a Freelander 2 so have been using Freel2 forum quite a lot over the last few years.

I'm now looking to change to an evoque. I know I want a 4WD, diesel, automatic, and with the budget I've got I'm looking around a 2012-2013 plate.

Are there any common problems/faults I should be looking out for? I've been to look at one tonight which seemed to drive faultlessly and was generally in good condition, although the paint on the wheels had started to bubble slightly and the Land Rover lettering on the bonnet had deteriorated, so I've got a couple more to look at before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance
Nigel
15-08-2018 10:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RogB

RE: Looking to Purchase

I have been on Freel2 for a few years as well, and have switched to an Evoque.

As the underpinnings are all from a Freelander anyway then you should be used to the common points of interest.

So just check the overall condition and make sure all the switches and electronics etc work as they should. IIRC the steering wheel volume controls had issues on the earlier evoques in that they would randomly not work (cured by either a s/w update or a new set of buttons)

Paint bubbling on the wheels isn't uncommon, neither is the tarnished lettering. A wheel refurb is about £60 per wheel and new lettering can be had for as low as £20 off ebay.

the ride is bit firmer than the Freelander and the seating position is very different, The interior and boot space is less that the Freelander but I don't find it an issue. IMO you wont regret the change if you want downsize a little but retain the LR feeling.

good luck with the hunt

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
16-08-2018 11:40am
mrfleurs

Only prob I had on my 2012 car was a leaky sump. RR quoted loads to replace the complete sump (apparently they just smash off the old one and put on a new one) but my local mechanic carefully removed the sump and resealed it for a fraction of the price. Apparently this is a relatively common prob!

Current 2018 HSE Dynamic, Auto, Corris Grey, Black Pack, Black Roof, Black Windows
Gone 2012 Pure, Fuji White, Autobiography 20" Wheels
16-08-2018 05:32pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

if your finances can stretch to an early 2014MY car the 9 speed autos are quite a bit more economical and much smarter than the 6 speed unit. 1st is a crawler gear for towing and offroad work and it rarely gets used, 8th and 9th are really high overdrives, unlikely to get into 9th below 58mph unless you use the paddles and even then they sometimes won’t shift up! Also some of the early 2014’s (production started in September 2013) also have the optional “active drive” that disengages the drive to the rear wheels above 23mph for even better economy, it will re-engage the rear drive in 1/300th of a second apparrantly (I never tried to time it on my car, my fingers couldn’t move fast enough on the stop watch!) there also was the optional black pack on 2014MY with tinted headlight and taillight lenses, black alloys and black exhaust trims but they will only be on Dynamics. If you can find a Dynamic Lux + Plus Pack then it has all the toys plus the fantastically comfortable Recaro rally seats and extended leather throughout. A panoramic roof on any Evoque with a black interior will be a plus point as it really brightens up the cabin. I bailed out of my 2014 because at 9 months old there was a gearbox software upgrade (read severe downgrade) that made the car pull away in 1st, burn out DFP sensors every 3 weeks thereafter and LR decided that was normal until I posted it in open forum when suddenly lots of people stopped dealers from carrying out the upgrade......... patch was withdrawn until they could find out what the issue was but not before my experiences put me off ever owning another Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-08-2018 06:46pm
MarkW

I'm also looking to purchase. I'm struggling to get it straight in my head what all the spec levels are. I have a Defender 110 currently which is an XS so I know it's top of the tree so to speak. But I can't fathom out what the RRE specs are and where they sit.
I'm looking at
2.2 SD4 Pure 5dr Auto [9] [Tech Pack]

So 2.2L, 5 door auto. 9? Is that a 9 speed auto? what does the PURE mean and whats in a tech pack?

Thanks in advance
19-08-2018 07:43pm
XFullFatTim

Pure was the lowest spec car and tech pack added some desirable options into a pack.
The Dynamic was the “sporty” version and originally had trick electro-hydraulic Magneride suspension as standard. The Prestige was similar price to a Dynamic but had a higher quality leather interior and was the plusher “Ghia” version if you like. Various packs of options available but if you didn’t want all the options in a pack then you could pick and mix options as you liked too! Prestige and Dynamics were available with Lux packs and on top of that the Dynamic could also have the Plus Pack which was extended leather and Recaro style rally car seats. The 9 Speed auto was available from 2014MY onwards (builds from September 2013)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-08-2018 07:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-08-2018 07:57pm
nigeld

Thanks all for the replies, it has been a great help. I've been to look at a prestige and a dynamic this weekend. I'm tempted to go for the dynamic as it sounds like it has the upgraded seats in it.
It's had 4 previous owners which is currently putting doubt in my mind, seems a lot of owners for a 6 year old car.
19-08-2018 08:04pm
MarkW

Thanks, Looking at the spec of the car on the dealership website, it ticks all the boxes we would want. heated front and rear screens, premium nav, front + rear parking aids, auto lights, rain sensor for the wipers.
So more toys than our current car it will replace. A nice V60 R Design SE Lux.
I think the only toy I'd like would be electric seats but they aren't a deal breaker
19-08-2018 08:05pm
XFullFatTim

Heated seats are great, a heated steering wheel though is the icing on the cake - a must gave in the winter if your car sits outside overnight as warm hands are much more pleasant than a fried bum, although if you suffer from back problems or sciatica heated seat on setting No 3 are a godsend even on a warmish day! Once you have had a heated steering wheel you won’t buy another car that doesn’t have one!

(This post was last modified: 20-08-2018 07:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
20-08-2018 07:13pm