Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket
PhilSkill

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

Well No luck with the low level format, insterted the 32Gb San Disk Cruzer, within 1 track it locked up while playing, been using my various 4Gb USB sticks with no problmes for weeks now.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-08-2012 08:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
item

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

Dear,
Maxell 64gb RoHS work very well. (27.99€ on a belgium market)
I find too usb memory work faster than my iphone v1.
The only think, on usb memory stick, directory listing are not alphabetical and there are on iphone.

Regads

TD4 Auto Dynamics Fuji White. (May 2012) -> 07/2012
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 07:20pm by item.)
30-08-2012 06:53pm
cjfp

Re alpha sorting, please use philskill fatsorter programme

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Alphabeti...Disk-Stick

Please can you tell me how long the meridian unit takes to start playing the USB stick from start-up, as my 32gb takes about 2 minutes.

How full is the stick ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-08-2012 06:57pm
item

Dear cjfp,
Thanks for the link, i have read these poste a long time ago.. And forget it Wink
When i push start button, i read on meridian.. Connection to usb and song play..maybe 10secondes ..but never more than 10sec... I can't imagine 2 minutes Shocked
My usb stick have 20gb of music .. Each album have his directory.

Before this usb of 64gb, i have a 2gb usb with full music and i dont see difference on speed.
Only for me, the speed difference is between usb stick and iphone v1, iphone is looser on speed, when i change music, the name of music come later the begin of song.

If you will other test, please ask me, i can take picture or film that.

Regards

TD4 Auto Dynamics Fuji White. (May 2012) -> 07/2012
30-08-2012 07:08pm
cjfp

Thank you item. I think I will have a look for your stick online.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-08-2012 07:50pm
c2k

(06-04-2012 04:34pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Will work:
Evoque branded 4Gb memory stick from Land Rover dealers (works for some and not others!)
SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB

Wont Work or not recommended
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB (not recommended - see post below by Phillskill)
Evoque branded 4Gb memory stick from Land Rover dealers (for some)

my Cruzer Ft 16GB doesnt work. Reading error. Anyone else have this problem?
06-09-2012 07:48am
PhilSkill

(06-09-2012 07:48am)c2k Wrote:  my Cruzer Ft 16GB doesnt work. Reading error. Anyone else have this problem?

My 16Gb Cruzer Fit doesn't work either, locks up while playing.

If it wont read at all, You could try low level reformatting it in FAT32, will take hours!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-09-2012 09:41am
cjfp

OK - speed of access of sticks - I was looking to format my 16gb stick to see if access got faster, and I came across a setting called "Allocation Unit Size". Searching the web I found - "Allocation units are the granularity with which disk space will be allocated to files, so if you have a 4k allocation unit, a 1k file will be allocated 4k, and a 10k file will be allocated 12k. A smaller allocation size will give less "wasted" space, but will also be slower to access (actual data) due to increased MFT/FAT access."

The choices given are "Default", 4096 bytes, 8192 bytes, 16kb, 32kb and 64kb.

I think it was originally formatted with AUS of 16kb so going to Try 64kb and see if access time speeds up.

[Philskill - you appear to be the online IT expert, any comments]

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 09:31pm by cjfp.)
07-09-2012 09:10pm
DaveR

Ok, I bought a 64GB USB 3.0 stick form 7dayshop.com (via Ebay)

This one:

[Image: 2809340507384040_1.jpg]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280934050738

I had bought one of these before and for use with another project and wanted to see if it would work in the Evoque.

At first it didn't! Sad

The Stick came formated in NTFS (a file system used nativley by windows) but to work in the Evoque it needs to be formatted as FAT32.

First problem was that Microsoft have decided (from XP onwards I think) that they will not support formatting anything larger than 32GB with FAT32 (They will read/write to devices larger than 32GB with a FAT32 system, its just you cannot use the standard windows tools to format anything larger than 32GB in FAT32 (the only options you will see are exFAT and NTFS).

For those among you that don't come into this terminology every day just think of the file system (FAT32 or exFAT or NTFS) as the way files are "written to" and "read from" the drive and formatting the drive with a particular Filesystem allows that method to be used on it.

I found a great program to allow disks greater than 32GB to be formatted in windows:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.h...format.htm

I used the GUI version:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.h...format.htm

(Click on the picture to download it)

Now this is were it got interesting, I formatted the drive several times using this as FAT32 (both FULL and Quick Formats) and each time when I tried it it wasn't recognised when placed in the Evoque (even though you could read/write to it in Windows ok) . Meanwhile my old 16GB USB (a TDK USB from Tescos) was being recognised in the Evoque ok.

I reformatted using the tool above but specified the same allocation unit size as my 16Gb drive of 16384 (not the default size for a drive this big I think)

After this it worked OK in the Evoque!

Just a note before I reformatted the last time I also "cleaned" the drive using DISKPART a Windows command line tool. I can't be entirley sure if reducing the allocation size or cleaning the drive first or a combination of both got the drive to a state were the Evoque could see it.

To clean the drive, with the USB drive plugged in , open a command prompt and type DISKPART

You should get a prompt like this:

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright © 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: LAP01392

DISKPART>

at the DISKPART prompt type "LIST DISK" which will list the disks attached:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###..Status...........Size.....Free....Dyn..Gpt
--------...-------------..-------..-------..---..---
Disk 0......Online.........232 GB......0 B
Disk 1......Online..........59 GB......0 B
Disk 2......Online..........14 GB......0 B

DISKPART>

Identify the disk you want to "CLEAN" (in my case it is the 64GB one actually showing as 59GB)

WARNING: Don't select the wrong disk!! The next acxtion will wipe it!

To select the disk (in my case Disk 1) type Select Disk 1

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART>

Next Type CLEAN to wipe the disk:

DISKPART> CLEAN

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART>

Next Create a new partition on the disk by typing CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

DISKPART> CREAT PARTITION PRIMARY

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART>

Type EXIT to come out of DISKPART then run GUIFORAT.EXE from RIDGECROP in the links above and select the correct drive letter and set the Allocation Unit SIze to 16384 (this is the size that worked for me). You can select Quick Format so it should not take long to complete.

[Image: guiformat.png]

IF you want to see what your current stick is set up for:
(assuming you are using windows) plug your USB stick in and identify what drive letter it is showing as. Then open a command prompt and type the following command (chkdsk G:\ ) my USB stick is drive G: but put what ever your USB drive shows up as.

C:\>chkdsk G:\

The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume CAR created 07/09/2012 19:33
Volume Serial Number is 1AFC-424C
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
62,489,776 KB total disk space.
62,489,760 KB are available.

16,384 bytes in each allocation unit.
3,905,611 total allocation units on disk.
3,905,610 allocation units available on disk.

You can see the File system is FAT32 and that the allocation unit is 16,384

Obviously this is just what worked for me follow these steps at your own risk. I do wonder if the allocation size is why some sticks are locking up.

Sorry for the long post and i know some of this info has already been posted previoulsy in the thread.
Would be interesting to know if this helps anyone with other drives that the Evoque doesn't like and if it is just allocation size or the need to clean the drive before formatting.

So far seems to be playing Movies and Audio ok
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 09:52pm by DaveR.)
07-09-2012 09:23pm
Evo-king

Boy oh boy am I glad that my 32gb MyMemory USB, worked straight out of the pack, as I'm using a Macbook Pro and a Imac for my music.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do if it didn't work.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
07-09-2012 09:42pm