Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket
cjfp

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

For reference, my 32gb stick starts to play in 4 secs in my new car as compared to the 2 minutes it took to boot in the Evoque

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
13-06-2014 09:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evoquestar

List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

(07-09-2012 09:23pm)DaveR Wrote:  Ok, I bought a 64GB USB 3.0 stick form 7dayshop.com (via Ebay)

This one:

[Image: 2809340507384040_1.jpg]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280934050738

I had bought one of these before and for use with another project and wanted to see if it would work in the Evoque.

At first it didn't! Sad

The Stick came formated in NTFS (a file system used nativley by windows) but to work in the Evoque it needs to be formatted as FAT32.

First problem was that Microsoft have decided (from XP onwards I think) that they will not support formatting anything larger than 32GB with FAT32 (They will read/write to devices larger than 32GB with a FAT32 system, its just you cannot use the standard windows tools to format anything larger than 32GB in FAT32 (the only options you will see are exFAT and NTFS).

For those among you that don't come into this terminology every day just think of the file system (FAT32 or exFAT or NTFS) as the way files are "written to" and "read from" the drive and formatting the drive with a particular Filesystem allows that method to be used on it.

I found a great program to allow disks greater than 32GB to be formatted in windows:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.h...format.htm

I used the GUI version:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.h...format.htm

(Click on the picture to download it)

Now this is were it got interesting, I formatted the drive several times using this as FAT32 (both FULL and Quick Formats) and each time when I tried it it wasn't recognised when placed in the Evoque (even though you could read/write to it in Windows ok) . Meanwhile my old 16GB USB (a TDK USB from Tescos) was being recognised in the Evoque ok.

I reformatted using the tool above but specified the same allocation unit size as my 16Gb drive of 16384 (not the default size for a drive this big I think)

After this it worked OK in the Evoque!

Just a note before I reformatted the last time I also "cleaned" the drive using DISKPART a Windows command line tool. I can't be entirley sure if reducing the allocation size or cleaning the drive first or a combination of both got the drive to a state were the Evoque could see it.

To clean the drive, with the USB drive plugged in , open a command prompt and type DISKPART

You should get a prompt like this:

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright © 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: LAP01392

DISKPART>

at the DISKPART prompt type "LIST DISK" which will list the disks attached:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###..Status...........Size.....Free....Dyn..Gpt
--------...-------------..-------..-------..---..---
Disk 0......Online.........232 GB......0 B
Disk 1......Online..........59 GB......0 B
Disk 2......Online..........14 GB......0 B

DISKPART>

Identify the disk you want to "CLEAN" (in my case it is the 64GB one actually showing as 59GB)

WARNING: Don't select the wrong disk!! The next acxtion will wipe it!

To select the disk (in my case Disk 1) type Select Disk 1

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART>

Next Type CLEAN to wipe the disk:

DISKPART> CLEAN

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART>

Next Create a new partition on the disk by typing CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

DISKPART> CREAT PARTITION PRIMARY

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART>

Type EXIT to come out of DISKPART then run GUIFORAT.EXE from RIDGECROP in the links above and select the correct drive letter and set the Allocation Unit SIze to 16384 (this is the size that worked for me). You can select Quick Format so it should not take long to complete.

[Image: guiformat.png]

IF you want to see what your current stick is set up for:
(assuming you are using windows) plug your USB stick in and identify what drive letter it is showing as. Then open a command prompt and type the following command (chkdsk G:\ ) my USB stick is drive G: but put what ever your USB drive shows up as.

C:\>chkdsk G:\

The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume CAR created 07/09/2012 19:33
Volume Serial Number is 1AFC-424C
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
62,489,776 KB total disk space.
62,489,760 KB are available.

16,384 bytes in each allocation unit.
3,905,611 total allocation units on disk.
3,905,610 allocation units available on disk.

You can see the File system is FAT32 and that the allocation unit is 16,384

Obviously this is just what worked for me follow these steps at your own risk. I do wonder if the allocation size is why some sticks are locking up.

Sorry for the long post and i know some of this info has already been posted previoulsy in the thread.
Would be interesting to know if this helps anyone with other drives that the Evoque doesn't like and if it is just allocation size or the need to clean the drive before formatting.

So far seems to be playing Movies and Audio ok

Hello mate,
This solution worked like a charm for me! Thank you very much for the information.
02-11-2014 03:55pm
PhilSkill

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

Having run this Transcend for a year without a single lockup

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-List-of-M...4#pid76394

I re-tried my 16gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit after checking the Allocation size was 16384 and FAT32

Loaded immediately, played 3 tracks, then locked up 1m47s into the fourth track.
Reinserted the Transcend and it played for the rest of the journey!?

Now will try a Low Level Format... and try again

I Don't see why you need these Dos programs, when Windows has all the tools you need...?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-11-2014 10:41am
JimWooly

Phil have you got the same tracks from the same source on both sticks?

I found that if a track was recorded with a variable bit rate (I think it was 220 or there abouts) they would lock up and stop playing. The answer for me was to change the bit rate and set it as a constant bit rate. I have had a lot more success after doing this.

[Image: 298252.png]
18-11-2014 07:44pm
PhilSkill

Hi Jim

I don't generally use VBR but will check the first tracks on that stick, I usually put the same stuff from my collection and certainly have these on other sticks that work, I was careful to only include the basic Music tracks, no other odd files, or other formats from WMA and MP3.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-11-2014 08:41pm
iwf

Hi

Anyone having any difficulty with MY15 cars and usb sticks. I can't get any of the four I have to be recognised or the music thereon recognised.

I can't see why LR would have changed anything but I'm struggling, even having tried Phils tricks
19-01-2015 08:07pm
FL22EV

Just to resurrect this topic... I have an MY16 Evoque and, when I play MP3 files off a (Sony) USB flash drive, every now & then (perhaps once every 3-4 mins) the playback is interrupted for a couple of seconds then resumes where it left off perfectly happily. It's as if there's a buffering problem or something. Same thing with a different USB stick (SanDisk) ...
Any experiences similar / advice / ideas? Thanks.
06-03-2016 02:08pm
Evoqueen

Thank you so much! I had tons of music and I wanted to get it all on one flash. Before this thread, I noticed I was only hearing "A" artists and I couldn't figure out why the shuffle was so very limited. I had 500Gb connected but the car was only playing 32Gb of it. HA! I am scared of the command prompt box but your instructions were detailed enough to give me courage. I'm proud to say I now have a SanDisk Ultra Fit 128Gb firing on all cylinders! It's tiny and very low profile, safe from me snapping it off by accident. I love this forum!!!

I performed the DISKPART and the FAT32FORMAT this morning and left it transferring files while I went to work. I couldn't wait. I ran out with it as soon as I got home to confirm the car had full access to the entire library. Thanks again!!

2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic, Santorini Black with Cirrus Grey interior, coated in Ceramic Pro 9H Very Happy
30-09-2016 05:03am
tone1

Been messing about for ages, like a lot of other members it seems.......Even spoke to my salesman who thought it might have been a firmware problem.........
Thank you for the info about "diskpart" and the "fat32format Gui" which I tried on a few sticks etc.
Originally I bought a pair of 32G Sandisk ultra flair usb 3.0 sticks, both formatted to fat32 and had some divx videos including frozen movie on one and approx 500 mp3 music tracks on the other. The videos never failed(can only view when stationary) but the music kept failing, most of the time reporting "Source files corrupt"...and yet not
touched or altered, it seems to have a mind of its own!
Tonight a breakthrough hopefully, although my car was registered November 2016, I was told it is a 2017 model, and tonight the difference was clear as my car can play "flac" music files, JLR quotes the 2017 model can play more variety of music files than 2016 model?
I have been doing as suggested in previous posts with the formatter tool and doing "diskpart" but also using a further program called "playlist creator 3.6.2" once all music on your stick, copy 'n' paste into the creator then let it create a "pls." file back on the stick.....All of my sticks are now working?!
Toshiba rj2k 32G usb 2.0
Sandisk ultra flair 32G usb 3.0
Kingston MobileLite G4 usb 3.0 to SD/MicroSD
Cool

2016 (2017 model) HSE DYN LUX - Farallon Black - Black Pack
05-11-2017 10:49pm
tone1

Scrub last findings, It seems now that I have to "fiddle about" as my Mrs. calls it to get anything to play now. The music source seems to now have a mind of its own..
If I exit car with music playing it shuts off as I would expect, this method of leaving it on seems to give me slightly better results with it actually coming back on. If it doesnt come back on I have to go through menu, hit source and the list and then it might play, if not it says corrupt file source...... All the sticks that worked and even a small ssd worked ....for a while, now seem to have problems although untouched. I even tried uploading MP3 files(once found) onto cars hard drive and that worked for three days, but alas it's all a bit weird now.
Never had a car with usb slots and mp3 capability that is sooo finickey
Next step is to take it back into LR and let them play around with it, you can bet they will load up something and it'll work and no fault found, only for me to have same issues the next day after the car has been switched off for a while....... any thoughts anyone?Crying

2016 (2017 model) HSE DYN LUX - Farallon Black - Black Pack
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2017 08:11pm by tone1.)
02-12-2017 08:09pm