Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Limp mode, egr valve issue, blanking plate fix?
Nickj

Limp mode, egr valve issue, blanking plate fix?

So, 2 weeks and 2 issues with the evoque but only had one other issue in 3 years or so can’t complain too much.

Had an intermittent limp mode but kept rectifying itself over a period of weeks. Car did feel down on power when required. Then went into full limp mode one day. Called AA and they were excellent. EGR valve issue. They Couldn't access egr valve easily as were trying to un plug it, so fitted blanking plate. Car drives great now. Googled it and appears to be a common mod.

What are people’s views on blanking plates on sd4s? I’ve read cleaning the egr valve can rectify it. What have people done when experiencing this? Is the egr valve difficult to remove?
13-06-2019 08:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Limp mode, egr valve issue, blanking plate fix?

Surely if it's blanked the ECU will complain about incorrect pressure detected when the EGR opened?

Have you tried a fuel cleaner like Archoil that might get/keep it clean.

I ask as my other halfs Volvo has just had the check engine light, EGR pressure code come up, and am trying archoil to see if it will clear it first.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-06-2019 02:28pm
Nickj

(14-06-2019 02:28pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Surely if it's blanked the ECU will complain about incorrect pressure detected when the EGR opened?

Have you tried a fuel cleaner like Archoil that might get/keep it clean.

I ask as my other halfs Volvo has just had the check engine light, EGR pressure code come up, and am trying archoil to see if it will clear it first.

From my googling some cars seem to throw a code, some don’t If blanked. Mine hasn’t. Seems a popular mod, and if you believe what you read increases mpg, performance, cleaner dpf Andy other bits.

I’ve not tried a fuel cleaner. Would a fuel cleaner clean up the egr with the blanking plate in place?

Re the Volvo, the blanking plates seem to cost 2-3£ and take 5 mins to fit so may be worth trying?
14-06-2019 08:33pm
Bazz

Hi Nickj,

How is it going now without the EGR shoving dirty air back in?? Is it still running good with better MPG without any warning messages?? I will be looking to do this on my SD4 soon , can you get the EGR deleted from the vehicle? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Bazz
07-08-2019 12:46pm
Nickj

Hi Bazz, funny you ask. No, blanking plate seems no good on 2.2 sd4. It’s still occasionally on a longer run going into soft limp mode. Also has no low down power, so really laggy when you pull away. Think I either need to try a blanking plate with a hole in it, fix the egr or get a cheap remap that deletes the egr valve.
16-08-2019 07:43pm
Bazz

(16-08-2019 07:43pm)Nickj Wrote:  Hi Bazz, funny you ask. No, blanking plate seems no good on 2.2 sd4. It’s still occasionally on a longer run going into soft limp mode. Also has no low down power, so really laggy when you pull away. Think I either need to try a blanking plate with a hole in it, fix the egr or get a cheap remap that deletes the egr valve.

Hi Nickj,
Very strange, you would have thought it would be better with nice cold fresh air going in, you may well be right about EGR fix or delete. Bloody JLR stuff you which ever way you try to go -- but I don't think it is insurmountable with a bit of electrikery change in softwareWink. I am sure someone here will know the way to go, please keep us informed.

Good luck.
17-08-2019 12:21pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I bailed out of my 2014 Dynamic Lux Plus after only 9 months due to continual DPF issues after a software upgrade but the problem was failing DPF sensors all the time, like every 10 days.......... JLR told me it wasn’t a big problem, just keep booking the car into the dealer every 10 days after LRA had recovered the car. After posting about it here LR stopped doing the software upgrade until they had a fix for it. It turned out to be a problem caused by a software update done to the 9 speed automatic gearbox software........ made and programmed by ZF

Are there not MOT failure issues with blanking off EGRs on cars designed to have them now?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-08-2019 08:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-08-2019 08:47pm