Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lights high, keep getting flashed.
insiorc

Lights high, keep getting flashed.

Hi folks

This winter my wife is finding she is constantly getting flashed at when driving her Evoque in the dark, but last winter was fine so I'm wondering if there is something that could have failed? The lights won't have been altered in this time, and I'm of the understanding they are auto adjusting, is there some sort of motor that does the adjustment? I don't want to just start turning screws incase I make it worse, so any pointers would be good, and her service is only due in May with a boat then 120 mile journey with hotel stays so not possible to just pop round to the dealers (also no LR Indy's near us)

I've attached a pic of the light rear incase it helps identify the lights type. It's a 2014 Dynamic SD4.

Thanks

10-12-2018 09:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Lights high, keep getting flashed.

Does the car have bixenon and adaptive headlights?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 11:51pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-12-2018 11:51pm
insiorc

(10-12-2018 11:51pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Does the car have bixenon and adaptive headlights?

I didn't think it was adaptive so checked Topix and it just lists Xenon Headlamps, and Automatic Headlamp Levelling. I rarely drive it and have never noticed any startup 'dance' as I've read of on the RRS site (assuming it would also be applicable to the Evoque adaptive lights?).
11-12-2018 01:30am
XFullFatTim

The Evoque’s don’t do the self levelling dance like the RRS - no self levelling suspension like RRS but have you checked that the thumbwheel adjustment for the headlight levelling hasn’t accidentally been rotated so that the headlights point to the sky?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 11:14am by XFullFatTim.)
11-12-2018 11:12am
insiorc

(11-12-2018 11:12am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The Evoque’s don’t do the self levelling dance like the RRS - no self levelling suspension like RRS but have you checked that the thumbwheel adjustment for the headlight levelling hasn’t accidentally been rotated so that the headlights point to the sky?

The only levelling adjuster I know about isn't on this car, in the manual there is a pic with a 2nd rotary wheel beside the boot opener and dash brightness wheel, but this car just has a blank. That's why I'm wondering if there is a failure, Topix saying Automatic Headlamp Levelling along with the missing adjustment wheel would indicate to me that it does it automatically?
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 08:20pm by insiorc.)
11-12-2018 07:50pm
XFullFatTim

Sounds like a trip to an indie for a look at then.

12-12-2018 11:53am
PhilSkill

The hex one on the left looks like the leveling Screw, the other the Side to side Adjustment (drive up to a wall, turn on the lights and count the half turns you make so you can always return it to the position it was), whilst they are automatic, they still need adjustment, if you're not sure get a garage to look at it, Mine were a long way out when I got the car, so were sorted under warranty.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-12-2018 02:57pm
insiorc

It'll probably be May before I (or my wife) can get the Evoque anywhere near somewhere, which would likely be the dealer during the service (if there's anything wrong then it's still under approved warranty too).

Thanks for the info on the adjusters, and yes good idea to count turns so I can put back if incorrect. So from that pic which is the drivers side light, the left hex being towards the centre, I assume the left light centre hex is also height adjustment? I'll give that a go in a few days when I get home.

Thanks folks.
12-12-2018 07:35pm
PhilSkill

Yes they'll be a mirror image of each other, you'll see quickly as soon as you start turning which way the beam is moving when directed onto a flat wall.

If it starts going sideways put it back to where it was and use the other turquoise Hex adjuster.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-12-2018 09:04pm
XFullFatTim

If you don’t want to wait until service time and don’t fancy doing the job yourself there are KwikFit and Halfrauds service centres who will do the job for a lot less than an LR dealership. KF and Halfrauds in my local town are “no appointment needed” at this time of year but even a local garage will be able to adjust them for you.

(This post was last modified: 13-12-2018 10:53am by XFullFatTim.)
13-12-2018 10:50am