Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lifted evoque owners: I have some questions
J. Dub

RE: Lifted evoque owners: I have some questions

(28-10-2016 08:43am)jellyfish Wrote:  Hi J. Dub, After running in the suspension, it settled down at a difference of 1 inch for the front and slightly less than 1 inch for the rear, if I were to remove all my heavy equipment in the rear, it does really lift my car 1 inch in the rear as indicated, but nowhere 1.2 inch as advertised. 1 inch is more likely to be achievable.

the part number of the damper is as follows
Front left: 35-223627
Front right: 35-223634
Rear left: 35-223641
Rear right: 35-223658

Jelly, thank you. It seems though that the B6 shocks / struts are built as OE length struts/shocks. I'd like to find a shock/strut that is built an inch longer than factory to match the springs 1" lift and thus will not "bottom out" quicker like the stock springs/shocks do over bumps.
Not sure if I'm explaining myself right Sad

In memory of Robert E. Flynn
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2016 09:00pm by J. Dub.)
28-10-2016 08:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jellyfish

(28-10-2016 08:58pm)J. Dub Wrote:  Jelly, thank you. It seems though that the B6 shocks / struts are built as OE length struts/shocks. I'd like to find a shock/strut that is built an inch longer than factory to match the springs 1" lift and thus will not "bottom out" quicker like the stock springs/shocks do over bumps.
Not sure if I'm explaining myself right Sad

Hl J Dub, i have not found any other damper that is 1 inch longer to accomodate the extra height, but the H&R sprint is thicker than the stock springs, as such, the H&R spring compresses lesser, thus the ability to sit 1 inch higher, i understand what you are reffering to is more of the suspension topping out when extending to its full extension, and yes it does top out when my ride catches some air time when going at speed over the crest of small bridges , apart from that it does not bother me much.

Alternatively if you are chasing increase of ride height, you can use spacer blocks of 1 inch to add more height to your ride if you intend to keep your stock dynamic damper. But that idea does not float my boat as the issues I'm encountering is I am bottoming out my damper due to the added weight on the rear, not sure on your intention of lifting your ride, maybe can provide me with more information on what your concern and purpose for it?
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2016 01:34am by jellyfish.)
29-10-2016 01:33am
J. Dub

(29-10-2016 01:33am)jellyfish Wrote:  Hl J Dub, i have not found any other damper that is 1 inch longer to accomodate the extra height, but the H&R sprint is thicker than the stock springs, as such, the H&R spring compresses lesser, thus the ability to sit 1 inch higher, i understand what you are reffering to is more of the suspension topping out when extending to its full extension, and yes it does top out when my ride catches some air time when going at speed over the crest of small bridges , apart from that it does not bother me much.

Alternatively if you are chasing increase of ride height, you can use spacer blocks of 1 inch to add more height to your ride if you intend to keep your stock dynamic damper. But that idea does not float my boat as the issues I'm encountering is I am bottoming out my damper due to the added weight on the rear, not sure on your intention of lifting your ride, maybe can provide me with more information on what your concern and purpose for it?

First, I must say, you have been the most help.
And I admit I regret purchasing the dynamic model with the magnaride especially since I did not know how much more difficult it would be and more cost to lift this model (KW cancel unit).

That said, I intend to lift my evoque to run a bigger, taller, wider tire.
Currently I run a 245/40/20 tire (27.9")
But have purchased 275/45/20 tire (29.9")
A difference of 2" in overall diameter that will, WITHOUT a lift, raise the evo one inch.
However, it will also increase the space between tire and body by exactly 1". Thus I'd like to retain the current space between body and tire and thus the want for a lift kit.
But I be damned if I can't find a proper shock/strut to match the springs.
I would be better off finding a spacer block if I can't find a proper strut/shock so as to avoid bottoming out the shock/strut over bumps or articulation when I go off road.

It's amazing we can find lowering kits all day. But not a proper lift kit Sad

31-10-2016 04:10am
jellyfish

(31-10-2016 04:10am)J. Dub Wrote:  First, I must say, you have been the most help.
And I admit I regret purchasing the dynamic model with the magnaride especially since I did not know how much more difficult it would be and more cost to lift this model (KW cancel unit).

That said, I intend to lift my evoque to run a bigger, taller, wider tire.
Currently I run a 245/40/20 tire (27.9")
But have purchased 275/45/20 tire (29.9")
A difference of 2" in overall diameter that will, WITHOUT a lift, raise the evo one inch.
However, it will also increase the space between tire and body by exactly 1". Thus I'd like to retain the current space between body and tire and thus the want for a lift kit.
But I be damned if I can't find a proper shock/strut to match the springs.
I would be better off finding a spacer block if I can't find a proper strut/shock so as to avoid bottoming out the shock/strut over bumps or articulation when I go off road.

It's amazing we can find lowering kits all day. But not a proper lift kit Sad

Well that's another way of looking at it, I`m a bit concerned on your tyre size selection, not sure if it will rub the fender when turning the wheel as the swinging arc of the wheel might rub onto your fender, as I am currently running all terrain cooper Zeon LTZ in 255/55/R19 and it occasionally will rub the front lower trim pieces when treading thru sticky clay mud, my original wheel is 20 inch, but it proofs to be too weak for my kind of driving, thus I decided to downgrade to more beefy tyres, I think this is as big a diameter tyre I can fit without causing more dramas.

Currently my ride height from the ground to the bottom of the wheel arch is front 84cm rear 83cm. (With the cooper tyre and raising spring)

With my old 255/50R19 Bridgestone and raising spring, the height is Front 83cm rear 82cm.

Stock height with 255/50R19 I am running front 80cm rear 79cm.

All that money just to lift my ride up average of 3-4 cm, after all those hassle, now I am happy with the ride height without dragging my towing hitch everywhere, and smashing my bumper into the ground.
01-11-2016 02:37am
J. Dub

(01-11-2016 02:37am)jellyfish Wrote:  Well that's another way of looking at it, I`m a bit concerned on your tyre size selection, not sure if it will rub the fender when turning the wheel as the swinging arc of the wheel might rub onto your fender, as I am currently running all terrain cooper Zeon LTZ in 255/55/R19 and it occasionally will rub the front lower trim pieces when treading thru sticky clay mud, my original wheel is 20 inch, but it proofs to be too weak for my kind of driving, thus I decided to downgrade to more beefy tyres, I think this is as big a diameter tyre I can fit without causing more dramas.

Currently my ride height from the ground to the bottom of the wheel arch is front 84cm rear 83cm. (With the cooper tyre and raising spring)

With my old 255/50R19 Bridgestone and raising spring, the height is Front 83cm rear 82cm.

Stock height with 255/50R19 I am running front 80cm rear 79cm.

All that money just to lift my ride up average of 3-4 cm, after all those hassle, now I am happy with the ride height without dragging my towing hitch everywhere, and smashing my bumper into the ground.

Ah yes your 255/55/19 you currently run is 30" in height and 10" wide according to https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Should I need to, I will trim some of the plastics in order to fit the tire. I do know of an evo that runs 275/45/20's with no rub. You can see his pics here http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...-255s.html

He is not lifted. In any case, these are first world problems we face my friend. We could be poor in a third world country and not have these challenges so at least I feel blessed to be faced with such decisions.

01-11-2016 04:05am
jellyfish

(01-11-2016 04:05am)J. Dub Wrote:  Ah yes your 255/55/19 you currently run is 30" in height and 10" wide according to https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Should I need to, I will trim some of the plastics in order to fit the tire. I do know of an evo that runs 275/45/20's with no rub. You can see his pics here http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...-255s.html

He is not lifted. In any case, these are first world problems we face my friend. We could be poor in a third world country and not have these challenges so at least I feel blessed to be faced with such decisions.

lol, indeed we are really blessed to be faced with such issues, maybe its due to the fact my Cooper ZEON LTZ thread depth is 11mm, May I suggest using a hot air gun and slowly mould it around the curvature of the tyre swing area rather than cutting it off. anyway the amount of rubbing might be due to the offset of the rim we are running, too much or too little will see the tyre popping out of the fender coverage area or rubbing the splash guard of the tyre well area.
01-11-2016 08:29am
J. Dub

(01-11-2016 08:29am)jellyfish Wrote:  lol, indeed we are really blessed to be faced with such issues, maybe its due to the fact my Cooper ZEON LTZ thread depth is 11mm, May I suggest using a hot air gun and slowly mould it around the curvature of the tyre swing area rather than cutting it off. anyway the amount of rubbing might be due to the offset of the rim we are running, too much or too little will see the tyre popping out of the fender coverage area or rubbing the splash guard of the tyre well area.

Ah yes indeed. The offset of wheel will be the key factor also I feel. Valid point.
Thank you again. I will update you how things progress.

01-11-2016 03:41pm
TheMortal

(01-11-2016 03:41pm)J. Dub Wrote:  Ah yes indeed. The offset of wheel will be the key factor also I feel. Valid point.
Thank you again. I will update you how things progress.

Hi J. Dub , how have you progressed with this ?
Have you raised your Evoque eventually ?
What is the tyre size you chose ?

That was a great read of this thread. Cheers.
T.
15-02-2017 12:20am