Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leather Quality between models
Kermit

RE: Leather Quality between models

(08-04-2011 10:10am)FullFatTim Wrote:  why LR/RR have gone a bit down market for the Evoque I don't understand.

Easy, cost.
(08-04-2011 10:20am)FullFatTim Wrote:  the leather on post 2007 built cars is not as good as on the earlier cars

Again signs of cost savings form year to year. Manufacturers do it with other materials, like carpet.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 01:03pm by Kermit.)
08-04-2011 01:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alex

In our Kuga we have a leather interior and I’m sure the leather quality will either be of a similar standard or perhaps lower quality to the Pure model. So far 2 years the leather has been fine, but I have also ensured to look after it.

I guess I’m slightly dubious of the Pure model entry price and what corners may have been cut in terms of quality when leather is offered as a standard.  

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
08-04-2011 01:04pm
Kermit

(08-04-2011 01:04pm)Alex Wrote:  I guess I’m slightly dubious of the Pure model entry price and what corners may have been cut in terms of quality when leather is offered as a standard.  

Leather is a cheap product today. There is a large supply of it and numerous processing plants in low labour cost countries. In '07 I got a leather wallet for my iPhone off eBay for less than $2 with free shipping from Hong Kong. I still use it today with my iPhone 4, and there isn't anything wrong with the it. The stitching is still in place and the tanning hasn't faded. Sure the quality of the leather wouldn't be used in a Roller.
09-04-2011 12:49am
LP

(08-04-2011 01:04pm)Alex Wrote:  I guess I’m slightly dubious of the Pure model entry price and what corners may have been cut in terms of quality when leather is offered as a standard.  

Maybe they are going to use a lower quality metal for the bodywork Wink .... or maybe they've just priced the Pure keenly to get people through the door of the dealers. I doubt anyone would buy a ed4 with no options...and its easy for dealers to upsell to people with the money.
09-04-2011 09:13am
Alex

Do you think RR dealers will have leather swatches available to see the difference in quality and colours? In fact not just the leather but body colours as well.

Does anyone know if their dealers have had swatches in yet? Ours didn't know, in fact doesn't seem to know anything about the Evoque...- can't believe we are about to spend £42k and our RR dealer seems rubbish, they don't seem to know anything. This BabyRR site has more info than what my dealer can offer. When we were looking at an Audi Q5 week previous the dealers there were so professional, even down to calls from Audi head office to make sure the dealer was ok and we had no problems after test drive etc (only problem I had was price!).

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
10-04-2011 07:13pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Like all marques there are good and bad franchises, however don't forget that dealer's don't at the moment have anymore info than most of us, they are waiting for LR to come up with the goods too. The Audi Q5 has been available for some time so there is something to go and see, it's now a relatively old car - you go and ask about a Q3 and I bet you get a similar response from Audi dealers as you have from LR dealers when you ask about an Evoque or as Porsche dealers will give you about the Cajun.
Regarding the leather swatches and colours - most of the colours are available on other models so yes they will have most of the leather samples and body colour samples already - you might even be able to sample on a car on the sales floor.
When it comes to technical issues you will also find that the forums often have more info about even Technical Service Bulletins than the dealership's service team.................. over on D3 and RRS forums they have even fixed problems that the service teams have been unable to fix and put down as a "characteristic" of the vehicle!
Alex if you aren't getting what you want out of your local dealership then try a different one, if you get really stuck then give the forum sponsor Lookers Park Royal a call or email - James, the sales manager and his team of Matt, Barry and Spencer are great guys who will give you as much assistance as they can, that's one reason they sponsor the forum - you get some help and they might get some business! Their service and deals have made it well worth my while to buy at the other end of the UK from where I live - my local dealer hasn't even mentioned to me that there is a new model in the offing that I might like to go and talk to them about.................. and I was only in the showroom to collect my FFRR from servicing with them 2 weeks ago

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2011 07:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-04-2011 07:31pm
Alex

We went for the Dynamic in the end. I wish I could have afforded the Plus option but with the options already chosen the extra 3K was quite pricey.

14-04-2011 07:45am