Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leather Quality between models
Alex

Leather Quality between models

I’m aware that the Prestige uses a more refined quality of leather than the other two models, while the Pure states ‘Grained Leather’, and Dynamic with ‘Dynamic Grained Leather with perforated mid-section’.

Would the quality difference be down to how it feels, looks and durability such as prone to scuffing, cracks, and fading? In the build configuration tool it looks like the stitching is more pronounced between the Dynamic and Pure.

When we spoke to our LR dealer he said rest assured that even the Pure model will have good quality leather because RR has its badge to it. But looking at the Pure baseline cost they would have had to cut some corners in terms of quality to ensure a profit return.
Also would the leather seats in the back be the same quality selection as the front? The description alludes to just the driver & passenger seat.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 06:57am by Alex.)
08-04-2011 06:53am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kermit

RE: Leather Quality between models

I suspect the Oxford leather is a different quality of hide, whether one perceives it as higher quailty is up to the individual.

The white Coupe in these photos is a Pure. http://gallery.me.com/ross.apple#100136/...olor=black
08-04-2011 07:43am
FIL

I would not get to hung up on these photos, the interior looks like a hybrid for the show. Seats are wrong if this is a pure so is the perforated steering wheel as these are for the dynamic model.
08-04-2011 09:21am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Dynamic has perforated leather on the seat centres - this is the same as on RRS and FFRR on some variants and the guys on FFRR say that while it looks lovely if you have kids it can be a nighmare to keep the perforations from getting chocolate/ sweeties and general dirt stuck in them. One reason I went for the Dynamic Plus is that the "soft touch material" on the dash of the Dynamic that I have seen photos of looks really cheap and nasty - think Japanese car style of the late 70's with fake grain and stitching................. imho!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 09:44am by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2011 09:44am
Alex

What colour material sits/lays beneath the perforations (assume same colour as perforated).

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
08-04-2011 09:58am
XFullFatTim

It is Alex.
One thing I can say is that the non leather dash topper on both RRS and FFRR is extremely good quality - quite a few people have commented that the dash topper and the soft touch bits on the dash are beautiful - they find it hard to accept that it isn't leather until they touch it - even the "stitching"
looks like real stitching! The dash top of the post 2010 RRS is the same so why LR/RR have gone a bit down market for the Evoque I don't understand.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 10:15am by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2011 10:10am
vision*R

I have to say I was underwhelmed by the Pure leather. The drivers seat at the Brussels car show was badly worn, and the light (Element?) colour was already full of stains, scratches, etc. IOf course this is quite normal at a show where there are people getting in and out, and I think it could be cleaned and regenerated afterwards, but still, that's when I decided I wanted the Prestige. The leather dashboard is a big plus as well of course.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 10:16am by vision*R.)
08-04-2011 10:15am
XFullFatTim

Vision, a lot of the guys over on FullFatRR.com have also commented that on their cars the quality of the leather on post 2007 built cars is not as good as on the earlier cars - the leather gets dirty more quickly and the it "wears" more quickly than on earlier cars, especially on the drivers chair.

08-04-2011 10:20am
vision*R

Is that Oxford-specific or in general?

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
08-04-2011 10:25am
XFullFatTim

In general - all FFRR's have Oxford, some have perforated airconditioned massaging seats others just plain Oxford

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 10:38am by XFullFatTim.)
08-04-2011 10:35am