Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Land Rover Experience in Evoque
KPNuts

Land Rover Experience in Evoque

Went to the new LR Experience at Luton Hoo last week to drive an Evoque. Was not expecting much as it is a new style of centre with man made "concrete" features. Had been to the Chilterns one twice before (Defender & RRS), but this was much better as the features are consistent and bordering on the limits of the vehicles. We did things in the Evoque that I would have thought twice about in my off road Defender. We were doing exactly the same parts as the Defender, D4, RRS and F2 that were also going around.

Was really amazed by what the Evoque would do. At times the only way to see out was to look through the pano roof Surprised - we were at such extreme angles. I was very very impressed by its off road capabilities, and this is from someone who drives a Defender that gets used and abused off road (the 300Tdi).

There was only one "electronic glitch" Sad. The instructor had it stationary with it balanced on Front OS & Rear NS wheels only. It was gently rocking back and forwards with at least 10 cm of air under each of the wheels off the ground. It took a lot of wheel spin to then get moving again. A large amount of smoke from the tyres and other instructors who were watching coming over the radio commenting on the fireworks Exclamation Once we were back on stable ground on all 4 wheels, the Terrain Response cried enough. Drove around on more gentle stuff for about 5 mins allowing the various sensors to cool down and then the system reset. No further problems after that, even with my wife and I driving.

SD4 Coupe Prestige, Orkney Grey, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Dipping RVM
Ordered: 12/09/11 Collected 22/12/11
Supporting Macmillan Cancer Support in Mac 4x4 Challenge
03-11-2011 11:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Land Rover Experience in Evoque

(03-11-2011 11:05am)KPNuts Wrote:  The instructor had it stationary with it balanced on Front OS & Rear NS wheels only. It was gently rocking back and forwards with at least 10 cm of air under each of the wheels off the ground.
I did this on the unleashed event, and in fact following a conversation with my dealer regarding the pano-roof availability, they were attributing the instances of cracking of the glass to this 'exercise'.

Anyway, glad to hear it did well, they told me I'd get one of these too, but I've already done the LRE day in the defender, is it really worth doing it again?
03-11-2011 11:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

Sounds great. I've got a free half dayer to go on so will have to give them a ring. How does it work? Can I take the wife and daughter along or is it just for me?

Thanks

DG

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
03-11-2011 11:16am
Evo-king

(03-11-2011 11:16am)Daigriff Wrote:  Sounds great. I've got a free half dayer to go on so will have to give them a ring. How does it work? Can I take the wife and daughter along or is it just for me?

Thanks

DG

We are going in December to Eastnor and it is for 1 +2. A morning half day visit.

Check your invitation/booking paperwork.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
03-11-2011 11:26am
The Valeter

We are off to the Luton Hoo venue tomorrow. Very Happy
(03-11-2011 11:16am)Daigriff Wrote:  Sounds great. I've got a free half dayer to go on so will have to give them a ring. How does it work? Can I take the wife and daughter along or is it just for me?
Thanks DG

The invitation is for the driver & up to 2 guests. I am taking my wife who doesn't drive & our 9 year old son - kids under 1.5M need to take a booster seat.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2011 11:33am by The Valeter.)
03-11-2011 11:29am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

Thanks for the info, will check to see where the nearest location is.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
03-11-2011 12:28pm
KPNuts

(03-11-2011 11:15am)RacingSnake Wrote:  but I've already done the LRE day in the defender, is it really worth doing it again?
Yes. Completely different to driving a Defender. I believe there are some electronics on the Evoque.Very Happy

Watching where the front wheels were pointing on the display between speedo/rev counter was interesting. As was the sat nav display in the same place.

(03-11-2011 11:29am)The Valeter Wrote:  We are off to the Luton Hoo venue tomorrow. Very Happy

The on-road part of the session included a couple of fords that were about 250 mm deep last week. Bit more rain since then so could be interesting.

We both drove so had to split our time, but we learnt off each other also.

03-11-2011 01:33pm
WB
WB

(03-11-2011 11:05am)KPNuts Wrote:  Went to the new LR Experience at Luton Hoo last week to drive an Evoque. Was not expecting much as it is a new style of centre with man made "concrete" features. Had been to the Chilterns one twice before (Defender & RRS), but this was much better as the features are consistent and bordering on the limits of the vehicles.

There was only one "electronic glitch" Sad. The instructor had it stationary with it balanced on Front OS & Rear NS wheels only. It was gently rocking back and forwards with at least 10 cm of air under each of the wheels off the ground. It took a lot of wheel spin to then get moving again. A large amount of smoke from the tyres and other instructors who were watching coming over the radio commenting on the fireworks Exclamation Once we were back on stable ground on all 4 wheels, the Terrain Response cried enough. Drove around on more gentle stuff for about 5 mins allowing the various sensors to cool down and then the system reset. No further problems after that, even with my wife and I driving.

Great to hear about Luton Hoo as that has been recommended to me as the place to go to use my voucher. Did you have to book a long time in advance or do they have a few Evoques?

That's interesting as the Prestige I was driving doing the ramp exercise at Unleashed suffered a similar issue and was quickly and as discreetly as possible replaced with another car... in reality I doubt I'll ever do anything similar in my own Evoque!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2011 02:55pm by WB.)
03-11-2011 02:53pm
rchrdleigh

Nice to see someone who enjoyed Luton Hoo. Every other review I've seen of it on Freel2.com, Disco4.com, etc has criticised the artificial nature and small size of the off road course. It's not a new style the other Experience Centres are still using natural off road courses with no plans I'm aware of to change.
Personally I'd prefer to do my 1/2 day on a natural off road course rather than an artificial one.

Each Experience Centre should have at least 2 Evoques. If you can go midweek they're likely to be less busy than at the weekend but there's still quite a wait I'm told.

Free vouchers from a Dealer include recipient and up to 2 guests. If all 3 drive then obviously the time each individual gets behind the wheel is reduced but it is still an enjoyable experience and I'm sure you'll learn something. I did at both Milton Keynes and East of England in my Freelander 2's.
03-11-2011 03:04pm
KPNuts

(03-11-2011 02:53pm)wbessada Wrote:  Great to hear about Luton Hoo as that has been recommended to me as the place to go to use my voucher. Did you have to book a long time in advance or do they have a few Evoques?
We made the booking in mid September but they would only let us book to the end of October, so I guess a 6 week lead time. They have 2 Evoques, both 5dr Prestige SD4 Lux +. They seem to be speced to show most of the features/options and they wanted to demonstrate them all, despite us telling them we had one on order without certain features!

(03-11-2011 03:04pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  Nice to see someone who enjoyed Luton Hoo. Every other review I've seen of it on Freel2.com, Disco4.com, etc has criticised the artificial nature and small size of the off road course. It's not a new style the other Experience Centres are still using natural off road courses with no plans I'm aware of to change.
Personally I'd prefer to do my 1/2 day on a natural off road course rather than an artificial one.

Each Experience Centre should have at least 2 Evoques. If you can go midweek they're likely to be less busy than at the weekend but there's still quite a wait I'm told.

Free vouchers from a Dealer include recipient and up to 2 guests. If all 3 drive then obviously the time each individual gets behind the wheel is reduced but it is still an enjoyable experience and I'm sure you'll learn something. I did at both Milton Keynes and East of England in my Freelander 2's.
They also have a small natural woodland section. Although the artificial section is compact, it has some very interesting sections that can easily be repeated so you can learn and learn again. I felt it was better than MK (Chilterns) because it was easier to repeat and also it appears the structures are closer to the limits of the vehicles because they are not being eroded. The "Snail" is an amazing training feature.

Apparently LRE South Korea is going to be modelled on this one! We were talking to the owner when we finished. He used to have the MK one but that has now closed down.

03-11-2011 03:50pm