Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LR Experience - Rockingham v Luton Hoo
LaserTam

LR Experience - Rockingham v Luton Hoo

Looking for views on these two locations, anyone been to both and have view on which is better?

I am 1.5 hrs from Luton, 2.5 to Rockingham, trying to decide whether the extra hour would be worth it.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
12-09-2013 05:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: LR Experience - Rockingham v Luton Hoo

Don't know anything about Rockingham but have done the LH experience as well as another taster session run for the LR forums, courtesy of James and HGG, which covered another section of the estate. Very different on each occasion. The technical section is purpose built and, as I have previously read on this forum, it is very much built to a prescribed specification set out by LR. It is quite compact but certainly doesn't leave you in any doubt as to LR's capabilities. Never saw water when I was there which was a bit of a shame! Certainly wetted my appetite for something adventurous and more scenic than the home counties! If you're a hardened off-roader you might be disappointed?
12-09-2013 07:59pm
rchrdleigh

Try typing Rockingham into the search function on this site and also on Freel2.com, Disco4.com, rrsport.co.uk and fullfatrr.com.

The general consensus is that both Luton and Rockingham are good but Rockingham is more natural terrain and really shows off how good the vehicle is.
12-09-2013 09:01pm
Nowaytk

I've done both, ( luton x2 rockingham x1 )and have to say both really show you what the evoque can do. But if I had to pick 1 then it would have to be luton. Reason being is, even though rockingham is a bigger site & as stated above very natural unfortunately when I done luton the first time, there had been a lot of rain over the weeks beforehand which made some of the tracks like a quagmire, the ruts totally filled with water ( which when you was in it you couldn't get out, just had to carry on ) & the section through the wooded area you wouldn't even think of walking let alone trying to drive it. There is a short drive on public roads before you get off-road & this included navigating 2 fords, which due to the weather were high, even managed to get the water to come over the bonnet although I think that was my exuberance to get in & going a tad too fast, so all in all had a most enjoyable time. The only downside was it only lasted for the half dayCrying
Just a word of caution, the second time I went it was really cold & frosty so no sloppy mud etc so not as good,
Hope this helps

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
12-09-2013 10:23pm
LaserTam

Thanks chaps for the replies. Sounds like the Luton site would fit the bill then, no point in driving a further hour each way. I am certainly not a hardened off roader, virgin actually, and the half day will be with a few mates.
Take the point about water etc, planning on going later this year, so hopefully it will be wet.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
13-09-2013 06:28am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Don't worry about water - Evoque has the same wading depth as a Defender and Evoque leaks less...........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-09-2013 09:27am